Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Starter battery charging

When I went to start my 04 Adventurer the starter battery was dead, what did I do incorrectly? I had the coach plugged in to shore power the entire time?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The shore power converter doesn't charge the chassis battery on your model motor home unless an after market device such as a Trik-L-Start is installed. About $45 and very easy to install.

Winnebago WIT Service Tips Trik-L-Start
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdweldon View Post
When I went to start my 04 Adventurer the starter battery was dead, what did I do incorrectly? I had the coach plugged in to shore power the entire time?
As mentioned the shore power does not charge the starting battery. The other option is to install a battery shut off switch. This will eliminate the parasitic drain that discharges the battery.

We didn't have electricity available where we stored our 2001 Adventurer so we installed a battery disconnect switch like this.

The Big Switch - FR1003 - 584 - 5465

Our motorhome would sometimes sit 6 moths or more. We never had a problem with the battery going dead.

While there is a battery disconnect switch in the stair well it's for the house batteries only. Not the starting battery.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
The shore power converter doesn't charge the chassis battery on your model motor home unless an after market device such as a Trik-L-Start is installed. About $45 and very easy to install.

Winnebago WIT Service Tips Trik-L-Start
I have a new unused trik-l-start one can have for the cost of the postage. PM me if interested.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can "work around" by using jumper cables between the two battery banks on a regular basis (like once a week for a couple of hours) ... you only need one cable ... both battery banks are connected to the same ground.

This will work until you can get a trick-l-charger
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I guess i need one of those Trik-L-Start chargers for my 2006 AB . How odd the inverter/converter wouldn't maintain the chassis batteries. I would never have thought my plugging in did nothing for those batteries.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I guess i need one of those Trik-L-Start chargers for my 2006 AB . How odd the inverter/converter wouldn't maintain the chassis batteries. I would never have thought my plugging in did nothing for those batteries.
You might want to check with Tiffin first. I believe the last year Winnebago used this design was 2005. After that the shore power charges both house and chassis batteries.

One note of caution with the Trik-L-Start the coach still has to be on shore power or have the generator running. The Trik-L-Start needs to sense a charging current on the house batteries to activate.

Here's some information on the product. If you look at the lower right side of the page there are links to generic installation instructions, The Winnebago document I linked below, and FAQ's

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Here's a link to the document from Winnebago explaining how and where to mount the unit on 2005 and older diesel pushers.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...ik-L-Start.pdf
Old 02-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
You might want to check with Tiffin first.
What is the best way to "check with Tiffin first"? Is there an email address or phone number to use that would get me to someone that would know the answer to that? (I am new to the tiffin world)

I bought a 6amp charger yesterday and it charged the chassis batteries for 12 hours before it came back with the fully charged indicator. Kind of seems like the Inv/Con is probably not charging them. But before I buy another new device i want to make sure.

Thanks for the help! -Bill
Old 02-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
You can "work around" by using jumper cables between the two battery banks on a regular basis (like once a week for a couple of hours) ... you only need one cable ... both battery banks are connected to the same ground.

This will work until you can get a trick-l-charger
When ours is going to sit for awhile I jumper between the coach and chassis batteries and use the disconnect on the coach batteries. The solar panel still charges the coach batteries when disconnected and will keep all batteries charged.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

What gauge wire do you jumper it with?

Also, I am swapping out a 3 week old Magnum ME2012-B20 for an MS2812. My dealer noticed the original Magnum/Dimensions was not working so they put in the ME2012-b20 , on Jan 18th. I only realized that a med device my DW uses should not be run on modified sine wave inverters so I ordered a new pure sign wave model and for only a few dollars more bumped it from 2000 watt to 2800 for future growth of a possibly a RR if the old norcold craps out.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What gauge wire do you jumper it with?
Not positive, looks to be 16 or 18 gauge. Same as comes with a small battery maintainer. Actually it's 2 sets of clip on jumpers hooked together instead of plugged into the maintainer. Some day I'll get the motivation to wire and install a switch that I can flip to jumper them together.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Not positive, looks to be 16 or 18 gauge. Same as comes with a small battery maintainer. Actually it's 2 sets of clip on jumpers hooked together instead of plugged into the maintainer. Some day I'll get the motivation to wire and install a switch that I can flip to jumper them together.
I would go with 12 or 10 gauge, at least. Then add a cheap 15 or 20 amp inline fuse on each end.

If the wire were to melt the insulation off, from it carrying to much current, the fuse would blow, rather the burn or kill all the batteries. That can happen if you start the engine, with the light gauge wire connected.

The devices they sell for combining batteries have all of the protections in them. Trik L Start, Cyrix combiner, Yandina combiner, Blue Sea combiner and a few others.

For a temporary charge, once a week, push and somehow hold the boost switch on for a few hours.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Does anyone know how Tiffin keeps the chassis batteries charged in the newer coaches? I read the inverter/converter manual and i don't see any other connectors to use that to charge them.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Does anyone know how Tiffin keeps the chassis batteries charged in the newer coaches? I read the inverter/converter manual and i don't see any other connectors to use that to charge them.
It would be in a "Battery Control Center " Manual.

The inverter/charger charges the house battery.

If installed, the BCC would handle that, with bi-directional charging. Almost all MHs already charge in one direction, from engine batteries to house batteries. Some do not charge the other way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The easy way to maintain the chassis batts is with a Trik-L-Start or an Amp-L-Start or even a $25 Schumacher charger from any big box store with an automotive section. IF YOU HAVE POWER AVAILABLE.

The really easy way to let your rig sit for months without power though, is to disconnect the ground cables. I use to keep a small wrench in the battery compartment just for that. Of course you have to make sure they are totally charged first.

The rest of the time, when I have shore power, and was traveling, I had the Schumacher plugged into a convenient AC outlet near the battery compartment. Now I have the Trik-L-Start since there are no convenient outlets nearby.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, starter