Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2022, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slideout Awning in a Windy Area

We are staying in a particularly windy area, in the Gaspe peninsula of Quebec. The awning is moving a bit in the wind and the hooks on the outside of the slide are squeaking a bit as they catch the awning. We haven’t been in wind this significant, so I don’t know if I should be concerned about the awning or if I should do anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s more an annoyance than a worry. We’ve camped in 40 mph winds and the noise was alarming at times. But no harm was done. There are ways to defeat the wind, some retract the slide if it’s not critical to your usage.

I’ve also seen some throw a rope over the topper and tie it off below the slide. This holds the fabric down to keep it from billowing.

I read about one RVer that puts pillows between the slide and topper at each end of the topper to keep wind from going between the slide and topper.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s more an annoyance than a worry. We’ve camped in 40 mph winds and the noise was alarming at times.
Thanks for your reply. I feel a bit less anxious now. We've made it through a day here and nothing torn, so hopefully all will be OK. The wind died down this evening but it is typically windy here and I fully expect it will pick up before we leave in a few days.
marudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

that wind will eventually tear the awning. if you are there for awhile try to clamp a piece of wood or plastic to the edge. even a bunch of spring clamps will keep it from flapping.
floridabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
that wind will eventually tear the awning. if you are there for awhile try to clamp a piece of wood or plastic to the edge. even a bunch of spring clamps will keep it from flapping.
We are no longer at that campground. The day I posted was the day with the most wind. If we were at an extended stop with that much wind, I would definitely do something to reduce the risk, even if it was just for peace of mind. Thanks.

Tags
awning, slide, slideout