Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Screws un-screwed in the wings

I did my first trip with my new Micro Minnie 2108DS and after my trip I noticed that all screws located in the wings were un-screwed and some missing. Hopefully I hope that's the only place where this problem will occur. I try to fix them without success (I don't feel that the screws are fixed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	176251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	176252  

Allairea67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I think it's highly unlikely those "un-screwed" or vibrated loose. More likely, they were never secured at the factory, or the dealer had to remove part of the wheel well to do some work, and never finished the job.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
I think it's highly unlikely those "un-screwed" or vibrated loose. More likely, they were never secured at the factory, or the dealer had to remove part of the wheel well to do some work, and never finished the job.
I agree with Navy’s first assertion. They probably never finished screwing them in when their lunch break came...
Old 12-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago reported a third quarter revenue increase of 39% and they did not hire 39% more experienced workers for the factory. I have seen multiple examples of improperly done work on the 2021 Navion I bought in November. Fixing even simple things is going to take a great deal more time and money than had Winnebago done the work properly in the first place.

Winnebago reminds me ofthe Perris truck campers that if they were built on a Friday were likely to need significant repairs on Monday before they could ship out to dealers. With Winnebago, or at least with Guaranty RV in Junction City Oregon, this desire to deliver the best possible RV to customers is sadly lacking.

To their credit the Canadian company Leisure Travel Vans did not gin up production but instead announced longer lead times for orders so they could continue to produce top quality motorhomes.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK, so the screws in the wheel well panels - believe me that DO vibrate loose and then fall out! I have replaced mine X2 with next size larger self-taping screws and blue thread lock, and they still vibrate loose and fall out. Not sure what they’re supposed to be screwing into behind the wheel well panel, but it’s crap, or maybe not even there. Unfortunately, that’s not all. Last summer on admittedly washboardy rough roads, I had to use a “forensics” zip lock bag with screws and other unknown nuts/washers, etc. found inside the trailer upon arrival at campsite. Some I located where they came from, some not. With that 39% increase in revenue, I’d love it if the fasteners could be upgraded so they stay PUT! I’ve never had this kind of problem with my Toyota Tundra - the tow vehicle traveling the very same rough roads!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'd be more concerned whether any screws that might've fallen out ended up in my tires? Hopefully you checked. Also if loctite isn't keeping them in then there's probably very little support or material to drill into. Perhaps seeing if there's a better place to use them though I'd call the factory for suggestions.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Reply to screws loose

I have a 2019 2108DS and can confirm the screws do come loose and fall out. I have replaced mine several times.
WMM2018DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr