Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Loose screws epidemic...

A month or so ago when I had a basement storage door opened I noticed the screws into the sidewall behind the top edge of the door …some were partially backed out and I could turn them with my fingers. I went around the rig opening every door and checking the screws I could get to. The majority were loose, with several backed out of the holes quite a bit. I tightened all I could get to (most with a right angle screwdriver). Yesterday I noticed a loose one again. I can’t tell that any trim is loose because of the loose screws, but they have to have some purpose!! I guess I’ll have to go around mine and add loctite to the threads of all that are loose again …that is what I had to do to stop the door strut mounts from repeatedly coming loose.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I think that we all see some of this from time to time. This is what can happen with self-tapping screws, air-driven screw guns and fiberglass.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi AF,

Wait till this happens to you.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

They are the screws that hold the bottom of the side wall to the frame,if you will take your wheel lips loose you cand Drill all of the way thru and use some 1/4 20 bolts and nut's,hte last few coaches we fixed with this problem we also installed a bead of black silicone under the alum strip to seal and work as a cushion,YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO USE SOME OVERSIZE SCREWS IN SOME OF THE HOLES
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When we're driving down deteriorated roads, I can almost hear the screws coming out. I've had pretty good luck with lock washers but it's the ones I don't see that worry me the most.

Jack
Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

When Winnie built mine in the fall of '03 production was at full tilt and I figure there were 1/3 rookies on the assembly line. I've seen a lot of quality problems on this MH compared to my '99 Chieftain.

As I go around tightening screws, I find 1 in 5 screws stripped out right from the factory. Using drill screws occasionally is fine, but when the entire coach is built with them you can expect poor quality attachment

I use a clear polyurethane sealer under the head of the screws to keep the ones tight that aren't stripped out.

Happy trails,
Bill
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

loose screws

just replace them with stainless
Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'm always saying we RVer's have a few screws loose.

I see you found some of them.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Another thread on this board discusses whether the older MH's were better made than the newer ones - happy to note and report that all areas of construction on our old '88 Winnie are absolutely SUPERB! Been all over, under and inside - and rarely find ANYTHING needing tightening!

Sure be neat to find anything new that competes in regards to quality of construction, design, and attention to detail...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I also had the bottom of my left sidewall gap away from the frame as Mr. Transistor shows in his photos. Loose screws for the entire length of the wall between the two slides. I replaced them with larger stainless screws and used blue loctite on them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I think the screws you are talking about secure the wall to the floor frame. On my '98 Vectra, almost all of the screws on the passenger side had worked loose to the point that they were completely loose and would have fallen out had it not been for the aluminum extrusion that held on the trim strip above the storage doors.

I had to remove the trim strip, the extrusion that held the trim strip, the basement doors and tighten all the screws. I did not use Loctite and may regret that decision but so far all is well. I can only surmise that the person putting the screws in on the passenger side had a screw gun with a lower seting than than the driver's side person since none of the screws on the drivers side were loose.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for the information. We had the passenger sidewall coming loose and reading this string gave me the info to fix the problem by tightening up screws with loctite to ensure they stay tight. very relieved it wasnt an expensive fix. Thanks.
Retiredrvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In a recent thread the subject was what is your most valuable tool. On the basis of the most used I answered a multi-blade screw driver, for all the reasons cited in this thread. Tightening screws is almost a hobby.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Add screw checks to your annual maintenance schedule. Don't forget the wood screws for your cabinets and drawers.

Now you know why Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus don't use self-tappers to build their vehicles. I can't wait until the Japanese start building class A RV's. Winne and the others wouldl go bankrupt like GM and Chrysler if they continue to ignore quality.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

As I am fond of saying: Many RVers have a few screws loose.. And I've found a #2 Square bit is often helpful in tightening them back down.

Usually I'm talking about the screws in the power distribution (Breaker box) panel, but hey... those are not the only ones that take a #2 square. Some take Phillips or straight by the way.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
A month or so ago when I had a basement storage door opened I noticed the screws into the sidewall behind the top edge of the door …some were partially backed out and I could turn them with my fingers. I went around the rig opening every door and checking the screws I could get to. The majority were loose, with several backed out of the holes quite a bit. I tightened all I could get to (most with a right angle screwdriver). Yesterday I noticed a loose one again. I can’t tell that any trim is loose because of the loose screws, but they have to have some purpose!! I guess I’ll have to go around mine and add loctite to the threads of all that are loose again …that is what I had to do to stop the door strut mounts from repeatedly coming loose.
I think the word about loose screws must have gotten back to Winnebago. When we picked up our 2013 Adventurer I thought there was a screw missing in the drivers door window frame. As it turned out the screw was broken off. Further investigation revealed 7 out of 21 screws in the drivers door window frame were broken off from over torqueing on assembly. We'll take it to the factory this fall to get it fixed. The only cure I can think of is replacing the entire window since there's nothing to get a hold of to back them out.