Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #21
Site Team

I didn’t realize my experience is so unusual. La Mesa always tells me how long it will be in for and tries to get me out the same day, if possible. I have rarely left it over a weekend. Just finished my last annual maintenance there. Some parts had to be ordered for the stove, but I have the RV until the parts are in. When they arrive, they will install while I have some coffee in the waiting room. The service I get from La Mesa in Davis CA seems worlds apart from most of the comments I have read. Just want you to know there are some dealerships that are trying to do things differently.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

I suppose it varies from place to place, but here in the Phoenix East Valley area it takes forever to get an appointment to have work done, let alone to do the work.

I recently bought a 2022 Wrangler to use as a toad so I needed a new baseplate and tow bar, but when I called around to the places that do this work (and are known to be reputable) the wait times to get the vehicle in were simply amazing. One month at one place, the same at another, 2 1/2 months at a third and 5-6 months at a fourth, and this is for work that has to be paid for, not for warranty work.

This is a big snowbird location, and I thought that might be the reason for the long waits, but 5-6 months? Most places put the blame on the lack of experienced techs to do the work but I suppose it also is due to the increase in popularity of RV-ing.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Bought motorhome with extended warranty from Gander last fall, went on one trip and the left front landing gear started leaking, paint finish flacking off the top and painted trim on front slide warped. Called in December for earliest appointment which was February 23rd. It's now April 14th and no information as to when or if things will be remedied. Is this normal? .
Unfortunately, Camping World (Gander) is notorious for lousy service after the sale. Actually, they are also known for lousy service before and during the sale as well.

Folks on the forums try to get the word out and you'll find lots of others telling you the same thing, but where you buy from does matter.

As to your question, is this normal? Yes, for Gander/Camping World. Yes, for a great many dealers. In fact, the overall answer is YES.

Most of us dump all dealer service and repairs as soon as possible. Because what you've experienced is what happens all too often.

Sorry to give you the bad news at this late in the game. Had you asked before the purchase we could have given you so much more info to go on.

Keep calling. Keep yelling. The squeaking wheel does get the grease.

Sorry to pile on more bad news but the chance of you getting it back all fixed like you'd like is slim. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll do it right. One can always hope.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

+1

Completely agree.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Shop info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
We heard of an independent shop in Warner Robins, GA that was really good with RV repairs. It was about 90 miles from us but I gave them a call. I wanted to make sure they had the technical competencies to address a repair of this difficulty level and magnitude. It turned out they had numerous certifications from Lippert and other component suppliers as well as manufacturers of RV's, even though they were independent. They advised service was on first come first served basis and that they'd do their best to get to us as soon as they could if we dropped the rig off. I wasn't clear if that meant 3 days, a week, or 3 months but we took it to them anyway.

WOW- what a nice clean and professional shop working on all shapes and sizes of rigs! My wife asked when we arrived (they had about a dozen rigs on the front lot) when they could get to ours as we had camping reservations with friends pending we desperately wanted to get to. She braced for the worst in a reply, and they said they'd try to get to it in 3 days.
We are in the Atlanta area and would consider using the shop you mentioned, if you are OK with providing the particulars.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:35 AM   #26
Veteran RV Owner

LazyDays RV here in Tampa, FL was making appointments three months out last year. Compound that with the shortage of parts! Not a pretty picture.

When the RV sales surge ends, and it will someday, there will be a glut of used and slightly used RV's on the market for a whole lot less than what is owed on them. Maybe wait times will return to something more reasonable. We will see!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:53 AM   #27
Site Team

Good shops - independent shops - are out there that do business the right way.

I've mentioned my shop, Texas RV Supply in San Antonio a number of times.

They aren't very "pretty" and it's a small lot without much room to maneuver. But that works in your favor.

First, they don't want your RV until the day they have it scheduled to be worked on. They don't have enough room for people to leave a bunch of RVs sitting around.

Second, They go to work on your RV within the hour that you arrive. Again, an RV sitting is in the way.

Third, If there is a wait for parts, or insurance approvals they let you know same day. If it's going to be a long time you'll need to come and get your RV. But with the knowledge that when the parts arrive you'll bring it back and it will be finished that day.

Fourth, they have a good reputation with RV manufacturers, OEM component service techs and major extended service plans. When they call for approvals they usually get a blanket approval right then. They are even approved for warranty work for major RV manufacturers.

Fifth, they schedule you in usually within 2-weeks. If they're real busy it may take 3-weeks. As I said, when you get there they start work. It's their goal to get you out same day or next day at the latest.
With a small lot they make more money only by getting more RVs in and getting RVs in can only be accomplished if they are good at getting RVs out quickly.

The final thing is they've been there for 30-years. The guys working there have been there for a number of years and know what they are doing.

I'm sure there are other places like this. I know it can be hard to find initially but when you do hang on to them, treat them good and they'll take care of you.

Here's what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 10.58.03 AM.png
Views:	39
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	182515  

Tags
maintenance