Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dually Valve Extenders-Install ?

Anyone know an outfit that will install the DUALLYVALVE kit?

Everyone I have contacted says they don't want the liability.

I have tried La Mesa RV (Winnebago Authorized Serice Center)
Ford Dealership, Local Tire Shops, Big Tire Shops, none want to do the install.
xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check with yourtireshopsupply.com - they sent me a list of installers and sellers nearby.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

dont know what exactly dually valve kit is but I have had extended valve installed at the local tire shop (not Big O, but other one) no questions asked. The inner is a long 1 piece valve that has a inset in the wheel to help stabilize. My BIL was just here and had a flat on his MH a 30 some foot winniebago it also had the extra long valve stem. Turns out it became loose (no insert in wheel to stabilize) and the local truck shop tightened and stopped the leak. They said they had not seen such stems either. I got mine from the tireman out in kalif, dont know if still in business or not. Do a search, camp world used to have the kits may still do??
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Are these flexible "valve extenders" that screw on to your existing valves or rigid, metal "extended valve stems" that replace your existing valves and are installed in the rims.

1. If they're valve extenders, they're an easy install but are subject to coming loose, damage, etc. which may be why the shops don't want to do it.

2. If they're extended valve stems, I don't know why the shops are balking. They install replacement valve stems all the time. I'd go to a commercial truck tire shop specializing in truck tires, duallys, etc., skipping the RV dealers, consumer oriented shops, and Ford dealerships. I had mine (Borg extended valve stems) installed when I bought new tires but they can be done any time. It doesn't require that the tire be removed from the rim but it does require them to "break the bead" to access the inside of the rim. Perhaps this is their concern. Jayelldouble's suggestion is a good one.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayelldouble View Post
Check with yourtireshopsupply.com - they sent me a list of installers and sellers nearby.
That’s a great idea. Thx
Old 04-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Are these flexible "valve extenders" that screw on to your existing valves or rigid, metal "extended valve stems" that replace your existing valves and are installed in the rims.

1. If they're valve extenders, they're an easy install but are subject to coming loose, damage, etc. which may be why the shops don't want to do it.

2. If they're extended valve stems, I don't know why the shops are balking. They install replacement valve stems all the time. I'd go to a commercial truck tire shop specializing in truck tires, duallys, etc., skipping the RV dealers, consumer oriented shops, and Ford dealerships. I had mine (Borg extended valve stems) installed when I bought new tires but they can be done any time. It doesn't require that the tire be removed from the rim but it does require them to "break the bead" to access the inside of the rim. Perhaps this is their concern. Jayelldouble's suggestion is a good one.
Oh I used the wrong terminology. They are extended valves. I bought kit from Duallyvalve. And thanks I thought they had to remove the tire. Great info
Old 04-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjaywalker View Post
Oh I used the wrong terminology. They are extended valves. I bought kit from Duallyvalve. And thanks I thought they had to remove the tire. Great info
I've seen posts quoting as low as $25/tire, but don't be surprised if it's more. I don't think I was charged since they'd put new valves in with new tires anyway.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Team

I had these installed at Discount Tire on a Class C about 7-yrs ago. They didn't have to take the tire off the rim, just take it off the RV and deflate the tire, install the valve, reinflate and balance the tire.

I had all 6 tires done, which was unnecessary, and it was $225 for all 6 tires.

Of course, my Class C had 19.5" tires, not the larger 22.5" found on most Class As. Discount Tire wouldn't work on 22.5" tires.

If your Vista has the 22.5" tires then you need to go to a truck tire shop. They are around most major interstates in cities or even next to a Truck Stop.

You've got tons of choices in Wilcox, AZ

https://www.truckdown.com/us/arizona/willcox/tire-shop
Old 04-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I had these installed at Discount Tire on a Class C about 7-yrs ago. They didn't have to take the tire off the rim, just take it off the RV and deflate the tire, install the valve, reinflate and balance the tire.

I had all 6 tires done, which was unnecessary, and it was $225 for all 6 tires.

Of course, my Class C had 19.5" tires, not the larger 22.5" found on most Class As. Discount Tire wouldn't work on 22.5" tires.

If your Vista has the 22.5" tires then you need to go to a truck tire shop. They are around most major interstates in cities or even next to a Truck Stop.

You've got tons of choices in Wilcox, AZ

https://www.truckdown.com/us/arizona/willcox/tire-shop
Thanks...I have an account with Discount Tire for all my other vehicles. They wounded touch it. Saids they do not do RV's. I have also called 5 different truck and tire shops in Willcox and no luck. I am going to surender to the fact I am not going to get this done any time soon and will have to search Tucson.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I bought a set of the Duallyvalves for the rears, then I also bought the ones for the front just before I got new tires. The local tire store I use for all my vehicles also has a truck shop, so I took the MH there for new front tires and had them install the Duallyvalve valves. But they didn't read the instructions and installed them how they thought they should go. Truck tire techs only know one torque setting, and that's "tight as hell, then another turn". Since the torque spec on the Duallyvalves is 35-40 INCH pounds that didn't work out too well.

The valves leaked and I had to take it back, they replaced them with their own 45º stems which have worked fine. But when I went back a couple months later to get the rear tires they wouldn't even look at the Duallyvalves. Instead I have standard stems and rubber extenders with good retainers bolted to the wheel covers on the inners, and 135º stems on the outers.

Some day I'd like to find a shop to install the Duallyvalves, but for now what I have is working satisfactorily. They don't leak, and I can get the TPMS sensors on and off easily when I need to adjust.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Larry,
I had mine installed at Purcell Tire on Ajo Way. They have to bust down each tire and there is a little bending required sometimes to get the inners to poke out in the middle of the stabilizer. I had them balance the tires while they had them off. They do a lot of motorhome work and personally I wouldn't trust anyone else, their front end/suspension guy is amazing and we always had our service trucks done there, Border Patrol uses them too.

PS: The Ajo Way location is the only one that does motorhomes
Old 04-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
I bought a set of the Duallyvalves for the rears, then I also bought the ones for the front just before I got new tires. The local tire store I use for all my vehicles also has a truck shop, so I took the MH there for new front tires and had them install the Duallyvalve valves. But they didn't read the instructions and installed them how they thought they should go. Truck tire techs only know one torque setting, and that's "tight as hell, then another turn". Since the torque spec on the Duallyvalves is 35-40 INCH pounds that didn't work out too well.

The valves leaked and I had to take it back, they replaced them with their own 45º stems which have worked fine. But when I went back a couple months later to get the rear tires they wouldn't even look at the Duallyvalves. Instead I have standard stems and rubber extenders with good retainers bolted to the wheel covers on the inners, and 135º stems on the outers.

Some day I'd like to find a shop to install the Duallyvalves, but for now what I have is working satisfactorily. They don't leak, and I can get the TPMS sensors on and off easily when I need to adjust.
35-40 INCH pounds Well I bet most truck tire shops don't have that type of torque wrench. Wow. I emailed www.yourtireshopsupply.com that sells them and asked for a recommendation. Thank you for the info on the torque specs.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Larry,
I had mine installed at Purcell Tire on Ajo Way. They have to bust down each tire and there is a little bending required sometimes to get the inners to poke out in the middle of the stabilizer. I had them balance the tires while they had them off. They do a lot of motorhome work and personally I wouldn't trust anyone else, their front end/suspension guy is amazing and we always had our service trucks done there, Border Patrol uses them too.
Hey Brian, I called those guys (recommended by La Mesa RV-Tucson. They said they would only install a flexible extension valve that they sell (I told them I had my own kit), but maybe I spoke to the wrong guy. I will try them again. And I will speak to them about my front end alignment as well. I took it in last week to La Mesa RV and I don't think they knew what they were doing. It doesn't feel right, and when I asked them what specs they adjusted they said they don't have the information. Thx for the info
Old 04-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Here's the Duallyvalve installation instruction page that Borg sent me, for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV KIT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS 2020-page1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	182490  
Old 04-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjaywalker View Post
Hey Brian, I called those guys (recommended by La Mesa RV-Tucson. They said they would only install a flexible extension valve that they sell (I told them I had my own kit), but maybe I spoke to the wrong guy. I will try them again. And I will speak to them about my front end alignment as well. I took it in last week to La Mesa RV and I don't think they knew what they were doing. It doesn't feel right, and when I asked them what specs they adjusted they said they don't have the information. Thx for the info
That is odd since Purcell is one of Duallyvalves recommended installers, unless they quit doing them since I had mine done which was a little over a year ago.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
Here's the Duallyvalve installation instruction page that Borg sent me, for reference.
Oh cool! Thank you, I appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Ok I remember the tire shop, it was the discount tire on Kino over by the new costco. I bought tires from them before and am on their list of customers. They installed all the stems for me at NO COST, Took all day due to being busy so if you have a towed bring it!

My BIL had his repair (loose stem on inside rear at redburns on 44th and dodge. No charge for their efforts His were 19.5's Mine are 16s with alcoa wheels
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:26 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank857 View Post
Ok I remember the tire shop, it was the discount tire on Kino over by the new costco. I bought tires from them before and am on their list of customers. They installed all the stems for me at NO COST, Took all day due to being busy so if you have a towed bring it!

My BIL had his repair (loose stem on inside rear at redburns on 44th and dodge. No charge for their efforts His were 19.5's Mine are 16s with alcoa wheels
Thank you Hank857….I will give them a call. I appreciate your help.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

One suggestion

I had mine installed when I replaced my tires. Discount Tire didn’t call charge me any extra to put them on my class C.

One suggestion. Make sure the grommets are not dried out. On the Dually Valves I bought, one of the grommets went bad. Providentially, I was just a couple miles from the discount tire store on my way back from 1000 mile trip.

I contacted Dually Valves and they sent me new ones. My Discount Tire store didn’t charge me anything to swap those out.
roguefriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Firebird tire on north 19th Ave. in Phoenix sells and installs dually valves. Bought a set from them 3 years ago and couldn't be more pleased. Ask for Paul whose the owner. They're also a great source for tires....
gypsywind123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install