Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

On my Destination, the latch lock has gotten accidentally locked when I exit the coach. I guess my fat fingers hit it when reaching for the handle to close the door - and I'm on the outside. I wish they had made it go sideways instead of down to lock. I'll be buying a spare key and putting it in a magnetic box somewhere.

Has anyone else done this? I think it is an awareness thing on my part and that I just have to be more aware!!!!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my Destination, the latch lock has gotten accidentally locked when I exit the coach. I guess my fat fingers hit it when reaching for the handle to close the door - and I'm on the outside. I wish they had made it go sideways instead of down to lock. I'll be buying a spare key and putting it in a magnetic box somewhere.

Has anyone else done this? I think it is an awareness thing on my part and that I just have to be more aware!!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My neighbor has a Journey and has locked himself out often. When he found out my key unlocked his coach he just calls me. The last time I was ready with a spare I made for him. After I opened his door we hid the key on his coach. He has senior moments and wanted to hide it INSIDE.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, Wayne, I've helped get people back in after they have accidentally locked themselves out. It is very easy to inadvertently flip the latch down while using the handle to exit the coach. Unfortunately, the door closes 'locked'.

I have been studying how I could fabricate a spring loaded or gravity actuated cover that must be moved to actuate the lock. These kinds of covers are used on airplanes and other applications where unintentional switching could cause problems. I haven't gotten it designed yet, though.

In the meantime, my coach ignition key is on a separate ring from my car, house and coach door keys. That way coach door keys are still in my pocket with my car keys when I am driving so anytime I exit the coach, I have the keys in my pocket, no exceptions.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Haven't locked myself out but I do have combination lock box with spare keys. I bought it at a lock shop and mounted it in the propane compartment. I will get some pictures if you want.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The magnetic key boxes work very well. Just remember where you hide it. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Gary CA,

You made my day!!

One day your neighbor will forget where he left his coach, and then he'll ask you for a key . Please encourage him to look for a new lifestyle-----
Old 10-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I zipped-tied mine in the unlocked position. Don't need it anyway.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We keep a spare set of keys in the car, just incase it happens to us. We had to get a locksmith while on the road 1 time for the same reason.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We have never locked ourselves outside of the coach, but since I don't 100% trust the keyless system, and coupled with the fact we don't carry door keys, we use a magnetic hide-a-key.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are three "doors' that are not locked on my Journey ... the front hoood, the back of the refrigerator, and the LP fuel bay ... I think you should be able to find places on your Destination that are not locked where you could hide a duplicate set of keys ....

I once accidentally locked my entry door when I exited ... fortunately my wife was still in the coach ... but it was a wake-up call .. I now have a set of keys hidden on my coach ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a hatch key in a magnetic box in the propane locker that doesn't lock.That key will not open the door if someone finds it.It unlocks another hatch that has a door key in another magnetic box.May be overkill but I feel better.BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It only took me one time locking myself out before I hid a key on the coach. Fortunately when I was locked out, I didn't have the driver's side window locked and was able to borrow a small ladder and crawl through the window. Now, I have my spare key on a zip tie hidden in the propane bay, but completely out of sight.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have never locked myself out of the coach but, just in case, I put a key in the propane compartment -- the door can not be locked. I bought one of the Master Key lockboxes (like the ones used on homes for sale that require a combination to open. I bored a hole in one of the frame members in the bay and then mounted the lock in there. It is out of the way, out of the weather and there if I should ever need it. It is also very easy to access.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I too have not been locked out - but we also bought a Master Lock Box this is opened by combination and has room for 3 keys. It is very heavy duty and is installed in the engine compartment on a sturdy vertical member which already had a hole in it. Now all we have to do is remember the combination !!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We've locked our selves out a couple of times. Now we have a magnetic box and spare RV door keys on both sets of car keys and a small change purse that Linda takes to the pool and laundry. The spare key is about the same diameter as GM car keys and is only as thick as the serated part so they take up very little room on the key chain.

Dave
Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I'm a little confused. Don't you take the keys out of the ignition when you stop and keep them in your pocket? I've always got mine with me so I can get into outside locked compartments when I need to. Also the wife always carries her set of camper keys with her, either in her jeans pocket or purse. But, all the above are excellent warnings and anything can happen so even though in 18 years RVing have never locked myself out I think the next time I'm at the hardware store I'll have extra keys made.
Never ignore a good warning. Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the good tips and advice.

Yes, I take my keys out of the ignition and immediately put the on the crank handle of the tv antenna. So far I have not forgotten to put the antenna down. However, on my maiden voyage last month evacuating from Ike, I was at the Austin Lone Star RV Resort and stopped two MH's and a 5er, when they were leaving the park, to tell them their tv antenna was up.

My other keys are in my pocket, however I sometimes throw on a pair of lounge shorts and will venture outside, appropriately dressed, and the keys are in the pocket inside. We all have different ways of doing things and that is what makes us all different.

Good advice from all, and I do have a lock box here somewhere in the stick house. I'll have to find it tonight as we are on the road again tomorrow.

Tks!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne M:

Has anyone else done this? I think it is an awareness thing on my part and that I just have to be more aware!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> No, but my boston terrier locked me out once. Since then I hide a key outside.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I have a set of keys, wife has a set of keys, I have a door key hidden outside and then a spare set of all keys in a drawer.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote