Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing windshield reveal(molding)

My husband and I have 2005 Voyage that had a leak above the windshield with the popular rust issue. We did all the repair,got the new glass back in, and now are trying to get the rubber molding (glass supplier called it the reveal) back into the plastic channel just below the glass. The molding has a center piece that should push into that narrow channel and we ares struggling to get this in. Any suggestions on techniques or the needed tools?
Whitney5113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I, for one, am impressed. First folks I'm aware of who DIY'd a windshield replacement.

On a powerboat and an old Datsun B210, I found liquid soap to be the molding lube of choice.

Please circle back with pics and description. Sounds interesting.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

While I'm not familiar with the design I suggest trying an old method for installing windows in some older European cars.

As OldChinaHand mentioned start with wetting the groove with a little soapy water but place a strong thick string (nylon) into the channel.

Next start by pressing the reveal into the channel while pulling on the string to open the channel. Work your way across until you're done. This may do the trick.

Good luck and please follow up when you do get this finished regardless of how you are able to succeed. You may help others.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Whitney5113,

If you are still working on this, try using Windex.

I am replacing the molding on my windshield. I tried doing it dry without success. I then sprayed the molding "center piece" and the mating channel with Windex and was able to roll the molding into with channel with just my hands. I
Old 04-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

That is a glued in windshield the way it looks. the molding should have been attached to the glass prior to installation, in the case of a universal molding. Some units have an inverted christmas tree look straight off the back of the molding. If the leg is straight off the back of the molding, you will have to create a channel between the windshields and use the urethane you glued the windshield in with to glue the strip into the channel you created. rust generally is the result of an installer scratching the metal removing the old urethane during replacement of the windshield. those scratches need to be primed with urethane primer to make sure rust is not going to return and ensure the windshield supports the vehicle.
skeeter1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Whitney5113,

If you are still working on this, try using Windex.

I am replacing the molding on my windshield. I tried doing it dry without success. I then sprayed the molding "center piece" and the mating channel with Windex and was able to roll the molding into with channel with just my hands. I
Hi Joe,
Where did you purchase the moulding? I have an old 1996 Adventure that is leaking. I tried some seal but it is sketchy. The Safelite folks won't replace the seal unless I buy a new windshield. Can I do this myself?
Thanks
Jimi
Yojimi is offline   Reply With Quote