Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Propane tank won't fill

I went to the propane store today and tried to fill my tank. The valve would not accept any propane. I am wondering, do I need to replace the fill valve or is there something else that could be wrong? I had asked before if there could be a reason that my interior gage read full when the tank was completely empty. Well, I may have found that problem too, as I found a broken wire on my exterior tank gage. Would that have anything to do with the tank not accepting propane...?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your RV tank should have a 80% stop fill valve - maybe it is already 80% full. Your interior gauge will read full no mater what the level inside the tank is until you get your open wire to the tank level sender repaired.

The tank 80 % full of liquid propane is FULL so far as what the tank can be safely and properly filled to so your gauge will read FULL when the tank is 80 % liquid.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No sir, the tank is as empty as a bears stomach after a Winter of hibernation. The man at the filling station confirmed that. My problem is that it won't allow any new propane in. I believe that it's a malfunctioning safety valve. I had one once before on a 87 Itasca. What the fellow did, at a propane store in Vegas, was remove the valve, cut off the safety end of it, and re-install it. Never had a problem with it after that. I just had to make sure that nobody ever filled it more than 80%.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don't remove the valve and cut anything off. Take the tank or rig to a propane dealer who can recertify tanks. Most can't. They will fix it or sell you a new tank. If you have ever seen a propane tank fire you will not take chances.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I had a bad fill valve once and went to the local propane dealer to get a new one. He had a takeoff from a new rig that he had put a remote fill on. Said he could not sell it to me, but just gave it to me. I have to say that I am experienced at working with propane, and changed it out myself. I will always fill up my tank with him if I'm close by.
As long as your tank is empty, it takes very little time to change the valve. Have a shop do it for you and just write it down as part of the cost of maintaining your rig. If it has been empty for a while, have them vacuum your tank also.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Don't remove the valve and cut anything off. Take the tank or rig to a propane dealer who can recertify tanks. Most can't. They will fix it or sell you a new tank. If you have ever seen a propane tank fire you will not take chances.
OP has a 'tank'....permanently mounted propane tank in his motorhome.

No recertifying required. ASME/NFPA jurisdiction.

Recert is for propane 'cylinders' used on travel trailers/5th wheels/campers. Portable cylinders under DOT jurisdiction

OP....get your FILL Valve replaced. Any bulk propane dealer OR buy a new one and replace it yourself
https://propanewarehouse.com/product...s/fill-valves/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

It's possible that there is a slight mismatch between the filler at the dealer and your tank which is preventing it pumping properly, certainly when I owned an LPG powered van every now and then I'd find a pump that just refused to fill my tank, at the next garage down the road it worked fine.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I know this picture has a lot of details but I have been having the same problem. I have had to have the Overfill Protection Valve (OPD), very top center of picture, changed out twice because it has gotten stuck in the full position. This would not allow the tank to be filled. If your rig is anything like mine the only wires going to the tank are the 2 connected to the sending unit on the sight guage (far left) and the 2 wires going to the electric solenoid valve (center), which electrically opens ond closes the valve providing LP from your tank to your coach. So there are no wires or electrical aspects to filling an installed onboard propane tank. Its sounds like your OPD is stuck in the full position like mine was. My local propane trucks have service vehicles that come to your RV, in my case they came to my storage location, got under my rig and removed the offending OPD. Ordered the replacement valve and returned to replace it. I strongly suggest you use your local propane company do this work correctly. They do not refill the tank the repair so take your rig right away and get it filled. Make sure they leave the bleeder valve open while refilling to force the air out in the process of filling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-29 15.47.17-900x550.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	167718  
Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You could try tapping on the tank with a hammer near the fuel valve to release it also- I did this on a portable 5 gal one recently with success.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

Internal Components on propane tanks

Left to right:
Sending gauge/level indicator
Relief Valve
Fill Valve with OPD float
Fixed Liquid Level (Bleeder Valve)
Vapor/Service Valve

Old 07-07-2017, 01:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I just went through this. Dealer went and got new fill valve. It did same thing as yours. Replaced valve, went and got lp, came back to dealer, he ran sniffer. Cost me a little more as dealer had to make several calls to find valve in city.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Our 30T Vista is claimed to have an 18 gallon propane tank. 80% of that is 14.4gallons. The most I have ever been able to get in it is 10 gallons. Anyone else with a 18 gallon tank get more in.
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
Our 30T Vista is claimed to have an 18 gallon propane tank. 80% of that is 14.4gallons. The most I have ever been able to get in it is 10 gallons. Anyone else with a 18 gallon tank get more in.
Don't know why you can only get 10 gallons....unless OPD float is shutting off early.
OR you still have 8 gals unused when gauge indicates empty

18 gallon capacity IS at 80%.......not 80% of 18 gal

Capacities are listed for FULL at 80% liquid levels----level gauges are set to indicate FULL at 80% also
Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I went to the propane store today and tried to fill my tank. The valve would not accept any propane. I am wondering, do I need to replace the fill valve or is there something else that could be wrong? I had asked before if there could be a reason that my interior gage read full when the tank was completely empty. Well, I may have found that problem too, as I found a broken wire on my exterior tank gage. Would that have anything to do with the tank not accepting propane...?
A re you sure the "propane store" was using the right adaptor for a permanently mounted tank? Permanently mounted tanks require an adaptor that not only fits the threaded connector, but also depressed the spring loaded internal valve to allow propane to enter the tank.

We had a similar thing happen when attempting to fill the tank in out 2013 Adventurer. Close inspection revealed the adaptor on the fill hoes didn't have the internal mechanism to open the valve.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Don't know why you can only get 10 gallons....unless OPD float is shutting off early.
OR you still have 8 gals unused when gauge indicates empty

18 gallon capacity IS at 80%.......not 80% of 18 gal

Capacities are listed for FULL at 80% liquid levels----level gauges are set to indicate FULL at 80% also
I have two motorhomes, both with 28 gallon propane tanks. From completely empty it takes 23 gallons to fill them up. Gauge on the tank indicates just over 3/4 full when the OPD shuts off flow.

The capacity of the propane tank is 28 gallons but they only hold 23. The rest of the capacity is vapor space so that the propane can vaporize and liquids aren't carried over to the appliances.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I have two motorhomes, both with 28 gallon propane tanks. From completely empty it takes 23 gallons to fill them up. Gauge on the tank indicates just over 3/4 full when the OPD shuts off flow.

The capacity of the propane tank is 28 gallons but they only hold 23. The rest of the capacity is vapor space so that the propane can vaporize and liquids aren't carried over to the appliances.
That sounds about right. I put 40 liters in the other day, and it was around 1/2 full already.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Well, I got the problem solved today. Took the motorhome to a propane dealer (not a propane selling service station) and he had the same problem. Propane wouldn't fill. He told me that my tank was already full. I told hem that was impossible because I hadn't filled it in 3 or 4 years and had used it on lots of trips. He disconnected and then attached the nozzle again, letting the propane begin to flow slowly. He told me that some tanks won't take the sudden surge of propane and have to be handled gingerly. I just ordered a new gauge for the exterior level of the tank, but don't know if it works yet because my interior level gauge always reads full anyhow.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Well, I got the problem solved today. Took the motorhome to a propane dealer (not a propane selling service station) and he had the same problem. Propane wouldn't fill. He told me that my tank was already full. I told hem that was impossible because I hadn't filled it in 3 or 4 years and had used it on lots of trips. He disconnected and then attached the nozzle again, letting the propane begin to flow slowly. He told me that some tanks won't take the sudden surge of propane and have to be handled gingerly. I just ordered a new gauge for the exterior level of the tank, but don't know if it works yet because my interior level gauge always reads full anyhow.
Yep, had this same issue with a brand new rig. The KOA Kampground couldn't fill it, the service station down the street couldn't get it to take any fuel. So I took it to a commercial propane dealer. He had me pull it up to one of his service trucks. He hooked up, bled out the air in the tank and filled it right up - said it appeared to not have been bled properly when it was filled initially, and they occasionally have to bleed tanks before they will take fuel.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank