Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Please Direct Me To All Threads about Stuck Door Handles

I don't know how to find previous postings about problems with door handles. I know they're there, but where?

My 2008 Access's white inside door handle is frozen. It won't go up or down. It has nothing to do with whether the door is locked or unlocked.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can not help on how to find past posts, I know myself its really hard at times.
Anyway do you mean the handle to the camper part of the class c or the front doors?

If its the camper handle, there maybe an internal part broken that causes the problem. From the inside unscrew the face plate of the handle remove all the stuff and replace with a new handle assembly. Those handles are at any RV store.
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I Know How to Find Similar Messages Now

I'd written two messages on this site when I joined a few days ago - this one and a more specific one about the door latch. There has been some communication on that other message. At the very bottom of everything - scrolling all the way down - there is a list of other similar messages. If you look at the bottom of this message you'll see the list. It happens to have one earlier message string about doors.

Thank you for answering my question.

Kathleen
Old 06-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You'll find more historical threads on irv2.com than you will on this forum. This forum was spun off from irv2.com last year.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, Randy. One of the people who has been helping me with the door latch gave me a link to irv2. I hadn't heard of either site until just a few days ago when I asked a question on Google.
Kathleen
Old 06-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I assume your Winnebago door latch looks like mine. Here's how mine works.
When the red lock lever is in the lock position the white handle will not lift up.
When the red lock lever is in the unlock position the white handle will lift up and it moves a little bit and then there is resistance, then takes a good upward push to get it to release the door from the round pin in the door frame.

If the red lock lever is working correctly it will move the full travel of the slot and will "click" when you move it between the lock and unlock positions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8138.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	173846  
Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes, That's Just What My Latch Looks Like

Randy, I understand what you're explaining, but in the case of my white latch plate there's an additional problem. It doesn't matter whether the red lock is up or down, nor does it matter about the top lock. Nor does it matter whether the plate is attached to the door or unscrewed and being held in my hand. The handle is always frozen. If you want to look at the other series of messages, they're under the subject line of

2008 Access door handle won't move

I think it will appear on the Recent Posts column on the right side of the main screen.

I've had the door apart way more times than I'm patient for. Each time I take it apart I learn a little more about its parts. But nothing I've tried has helped yet.

Kathleen
Old 06-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Did you find this thread?

There's a Trimark document posted in it that also may help.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

OK.

Sorry, I was hoping the red latch moved freely up and down like something had broken behind the plate that operated whatever locks/unlocks the lever. I assume you have tried to use the key to try to get it back into the unlocked position with the plate on the door with no luck on that either.

If it were me I'd be at the point where I was starting to replace parts. You can work with a Winnebago dealer or Winnebago RV savage yard to get the parts.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Trimark Entry Door Parts

A source of parts other than Winnebago dealer, might be cheaper and faster.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

If the plate you are taking off the door looks something like this and the lever won't move with the plate off the door of the RV , that's bizzare. Does not appear to be much too it. If it were me, I'd clamp some vice grips on the black piece and try to move it and try to see what was preventing it from moving.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I Hadn't - But Now I Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Did you find this thread?

There's a Trimark document posted in it that also may help.

Thanks for the link, Tim. It will be useful. I've spent so much time in the last four days disassmbling and reassembling the latch over and over and over again that I'm taking a break. It's not like I'll be traveling in the RV anytime soon. (I just got home two weeks ago, having been living in the Rio Grande Valley in the RV since last October.)

The one question I still have is whether the inside white handle will ever move again. It's been frozen no matter what I've done. I don't think I can solve the problem without buying the whole inside section. The outside black latch is fine.

Kathleen
Old 06-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
OK.

Sorry, I was hoping the red latch moved freely up and down like something had broken behind the plate that operated whatever locks/unlocks the lever. I assume you have tried to use the key to try to get it back into the unlocked position with the plate on the door with no luck on that either.

There's nothing wrong with the red latch. It moves freely, both inside and outside with the key. It's just the long white handle that isn't working.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Randy, the next time I take the latch apart I'll try what you suggest with a vise grip. But it doesn't feel like it's just tight. It feels broken.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Mine broke, I have a class A (only door), shoved the wife thought the drivers window, lucky I forgot to lock it. I skipped all the drama - frustration and bought a new, entire lock about a hundred bucks, inside was the cheapest part, got it from Winnebago part store, they had it and it works great.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The inside white plate with the handle and locks on it costs $72, plus shipping about $82. I'll eventually end up doing that, I expect. When I order it I want the person who takes it out of stock to move the white handle up and down before it gets packed. I want to be sure that it actually moves when it's not connected to anything. All the people who have been advising me expect that their next suggestion will be the one that makes the handle move. So far, nothing has changed.
Kathleen
Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I don't know how to find previous postings about problems with door handles. I know they're there, but where?

My 2008 Access's white inside door handle is frozen. It won't go up or down. It has nothing to do with whether the door is locked or unlocked.
There's an image of a magnifying glass at the top right corner of this page. Click on it and follow the instructions. It will Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
There's an image of a magnifying glass at the top right corner of this page. Click on it and follow the instructions. It will Larry 2014 Reyo P

I'm sorry, Larry. I don't see any magnifying glass on my screen. Maybe what appears on your screen is different than what appears on mine - though why, I don't know.
Kathleen
Old 06-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

On the orange horizontal bar just below the red "menu" button with the three horizontal bars on the red wide bar. That's how I see it on my Android tablet. Maybe admin support could help you. Very powerful tool to use and and save you a lot time. Worth whatever effort it takes to figure out how to search. Almost all websites have a search option. Good luck. Larry.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

There's a very narrow orange line: UserCP, Registry, Files, . . .
Below, a blue ad: Don't miss the best campgrounds . . .
Below: another narrow orange line: Door handles, RV Forums, Online Shopping Stores
Below: a black click in the left corner: Post Reply
Below: a fat red line: Thread Tools, Search This Thread, Rate Thread, Display Modes
To the right: long large box: Recent Discussions, etc.
Below: The first post I wrote on this subject

No magnifying glass anywhere.
Sorry

Tags
door