Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Sorry for the trouble John.

A couple of poly grommets placed in the fabric at what becomes the low point of water collection would allow the water to escape in heavy downpours and in a light rain the water would run around the grommet. Looks like there
would be room for the discharge to hit the ground instead of on the slide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's actually a very interesting idea

It would take some experimentation to determine how many and what diameter grommets would be effective to keep the pool of water to a manageable level.

I was investigating the possibility of going to a slide-mounted lateral arm awning and a roof-mounted topper. Girard is apparently the only awning manufacturer that makes a roof-mounted topper. The awning needs 7.75" of mounting footprint which might be too large for our slide. I need to get out the ladder and do some measuring.

A nice feature of the Girard is that it will tilt to 35 degrees which would make it infinitely more usable and practical than the current setup.

Then there is the option of going to a manual version of our awning - that's on the radar as well.

Mike - Also looking at going to the Carefree Eclipse. I need to talk to them next week to see what impact the slide would have on its deployment.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #22

We have a kitchen slide and hence the same awning as John has. THere is no way to pull one side down lower than the other side. Our awning comes STRAIGHT out and baaaaarely down a bit....to clear the curb slide.

Here is the trick...make sure that when you extend it, to let the awning fabric be LEVEL with the top of the tube....and when water gathers in the middle of the awning, gently "help" the dump feature by moving the end slide rail to dump. NEVER push up on the fabric ever as you are not helping the dump feature.

Ours dumps when a big puddle of water gathers in the middle....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

We got into the same situation as John when parked at Shipp's RV near Chattanooga for a service appointment. In our case, the heavens just opened up and our awning filled up before we could get a chance to stow it. I, too, used the "broom handle drain method" but I guess I was just fortunate to not put too much pressure on the wrong spot. After two or three "manual dumps" the DW was able to push the button just at the right time and stowed the awning. Now I am a little paranoid about using the awning. On our previous two coaches the awning was manual and was much more useful.

I am anxious to hear of John's permanent fix as we would love to use our awning more. I guess if the drought conditions continue here in the Southeast we won't have to worry. But we can use the rain!

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
The shortest automatic awning Winnie has is 16ft which is longer than most of the slides. I think they were able to start mounting the awning on the slide for the gasser T and diesel TD floorplans only because the slide is soooo huge (20ft).

We have a friend who just purchased a '07 Vectra 40FD with the awning over the slide. They are going to make the automatic water dump issue a condition of delivery and the signing of the final papers.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #25

I guess alot of us started out the summer season with "awning issues". On our first of the year camping club event in March, two of us lost our awnings when they failed to roll up automatically when the wind kicked up. We just had ours totally replaced and our friend is "patiently" waiting for his dealer to get his in. I felt worse for our friend since it was their first campout in their new Adventurer....what a way to baptise your rig.

We have never really liked the automatic awning either. We have had the rain issue happen to us too, but fortunatly we caught it in time. I think when the rain comes down in a deluge the tipping mech. just doesn't work. We have become awning paranoid since then. We will just roll it out and show everyone we have one, then stow it for the rest our stay !
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
--snip-- We have become awning paranoid since then. We will just roll it out and show everyone we have one, then stow it for the rest our stay ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenda - that's too funny! Jane has had thoughts about just taking the thing off and leaving it off.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote