Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Nice camping weekend but my Air died !!

Hi Guys:

Spent a nice camping weekend with Racer7 and his wife in VA. But Friday afternoon when the temp hit 90 + degrees, my air conditioner DID NOT WORK. It seemed the compressors kick on, but no fan was running in the bottom back of the coach where the AC units are. Eventually the breakers would kick. The fan pushing the air on the inside of the coach was working, but just blowing hot air.

I am hoping it is a condenser or something and isn't a compressor. What do you think? Am I looking at an expensive repair job?

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

It's pretty difficult to help you diagnose your A/C problem long-distance but.........if it were me I would take to cover off of the A/C electrical panel (outside on a basement A/C unit) and take a look at the components. Look for signs of burning like charring. If I were a betting man I would bet on a bad capacitor for the OD fan.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim;

Hopefully you will find the problem without removing the unit for service. One of our members (Duner) wrote up a small manual on the removal, repair, and replacement of our central units. I believe if you contact him he could email you his write up. I carry it with me in my coach just in case.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the info, but unfortunatley electrial maintenance is not my strong suit. I will drop off the coach at my RV dealer tommorrow night.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like a bad capacitor. Easy fix.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Guys:

Spent a nice camping weekend with Racer7 and his wife in VA. But Friday afternoon when the temp hit 90 + degrees, my air conditioner DID NOT WORK. It seemed the compressors kick on, but no fan was running in the bottom back of the coach where the AC units are. Eventually the breakers would kick. The fan pushing the air on the inside of the coach was working, but just blowing hot air.

I am hoping it is a condenser or something and isn't a compressor. What do you think? Am I looking at an expensive repair job?

Regards Jim P.
you don't say but i suspect you have the coleman true air basement ac.
if that is true, there are 2 systems. there are 2 110v circuit breakers that have to be on for them to work.
you need good voltage, at least 105 volts. the voltage goes low in some cg's when it gets hot and everyone wants to use their air conditioners. low voltage is a major cause of capacitor overheating and failure. sometimes i have to open the breaker on my #2 system to keep the voltage above 105v and can only use 1/2 of my system. that is still better than nothing.
if the #1 system has a problem, the #2 system will not start or operate.
if you open the large access door that covers your ac unit, you will see a small panel cover that is removable. if your #1 start capacitor or relay or whatever is smoked, just change the wiring terminals so that the #1 system control circuit will actually operate the #2 system. make sure that the circuit breakers are off before touching the electrical components. this way, you should be able to get half of your ac system operating in less than 20 minutes.
imho, the #1 system start capacitor or relay is likely the cause of your problem. if replacing the capacitor, use the improved "hard start" capacitor. the fan motor system has capacitors also. the capacitors and relays are not expensive.
check duners threads for pictures and a more detailed procedure.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Airxcel | RV Products Service

Jim

I strongly suggest you go to this site and get the nearest authorized service center near you.

I have found that our Winnebago dealers are not as knowledgable or as equipped to service our AC units as these guys are.

While they are inspecting it, ask them if you have the hard start kit installed. If not do it.

Good luck.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I strongly suggest you go to this site and get the nearest authorized service center near you.

I have found that our Winnebago dealers are not as knowledgable or as equipped to service our AC units as these guys are.
. Absolutely right! My best repairs have an Itasca dealer, a trailer dealer, and an independent service shop.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Airxcel | RV Products Service

Jim

While they are inspecting it, ask them if you have the hard start kit installed. If not do it.

Good luck.
Like you, my rig is approaching the 10 yr mark and I've not had AC problems....yet. We're heading out mid June and I'd not like to have AC problems I cannot have a chance to resolve. Is the 'hard start kit' available from the average AC parts house or is it something I need to get from AirExcel/Coleman?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Like you, my rig is approaching the 10 yr mark and I've not had AC problems....yet. We're heading out mid June and I'd not like to have AC problems I cannot have a chance to resolve. Is the 'hard start kit' available from the average AC parts house or is it something I need to get from AirExcel/Coleman?
I also am interested, as smlranger is, in the hard start kit.

DM
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I obtained my hard start kit when I had some repair work done at an authorized repair center in the Los Angeles area.
When I picked the unit up he had installed it. $19.00 parts, if I remember correctly.
I noticed a difference in how much more easily the compressors spool up.
The tech. said he upgrades all his customers AC units he works on.
I had a freon leak patched on the #1 compressor side of the system.
I would call one of the service centers and see what they have to say.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Dropped my coach off at my RV shop. He is going to check it out. I asked about a Hard Start kit. He said it is just a capacitor or an extra capacitor. He said they started using them on the Coleman roof units when they went to 30 amp. But he never heard them being used on the Coleman basement units. He is going to check it out for me. He did say they were only like $20 bucks.

I am hoping it is the #1 capacitor and not a condensing or compressor unit.

I will let you know the damage..$$$

Regards Jim P.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well the RV place just called. The problem with my A/C is the fan motor froze up. He got it running again and said there is a greese fitting on there.... BUT you have to drop the whole unit to get at it!!!!

Do I greese the old unit and put back, Orrrrr just replace the motor? I am waiting for a price on a new fan motor now???

What you think???

Regards Jim P.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Well the new fan motor is $295.00... They also suggested I put in a new capacitor and arm for total parts of $390.00.. Since it cost about $255 in labor or more just to drop the units I said to go with the new parts.

Looks like all up all in around $750.00 I guess it could have been worse. I got a price on a rebuilt rear hydrolic jack for $495.00.... I said forget it for now, I will spray it with silicone, it goes up then...lol

Just another lesson learned on the putting out of rvbucks.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Yes, there is one of those flip up caps where you can oil , but I thought it was on the fan bearings
The top metal cover of the AC unit has to be removed to look down on the fan I assume because Mine was removed when I was looking at these lube point.
Does your unit have to be removed to replace the motor anyway? If so it should be a no charge item to mearly flip the cap open and oil it.
Dilemma for you I guess, If its running now, take a chance and it just may go for years or crap out next week.
I guess the price point when he gets back to you will help you decide, now or later.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Jim;

I believe you did the right thing. While it is out fix it up right and be done with it.

Don
Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
problem with my A/C is the fan motor froze up. He got it running again and said there is a greese fitting on there....
I got taken TWICE by RV dealer service shops (two different ones, both of whom I found later were NOT listed as certified service locations) who said "it just needs lubed and blower runout adjusted ...both times within 4 months I had to have the unit pulled again and a blower motor replaced. That is how I learned to check first to see where the certified service people are rather than just trusting a dealership to know what they are doing. I think 2006 was the outside blower motor and 2007 was the inside blower motor. You were VERY smart to replace the blower motor while it was out.

Some have put sealed bearings in when they pull the unit themselves, eliminating the oil port. (I too believe the oil port is on the blower cage bearings, NOT on the motor).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

Yeah I understand about trusting an RV shop. Harold at Harolds RV has always been a straight shooter. We hit it off a few years ago and we are both brother African big game hunters. He knows I would shoot him if he screwed me around on pricing.

I got a weekender camping trip at the end of the month then a full week in MI in August.

I don't mind paying for something I can't fix, or is above my head. But I am not paying $495 for a rebuilt HWH hydrolic jack. I will pull it out myself and send to HWH and get it rebuilt if I have to.

Thus ends this saga of of the broken A/C units..

Regards Jim P.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

ac problems

JIM if it is going to cost 750 why not replace ac with a new one-i would guess it probably wouldn't be much more for a new unit--Rich
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
why not replace ac with a new one-i would guess it probably wouldn't be much more for a new unit
He has a dual compressor basement ac/heat pump unit that is ducted through the ceiling ...not your average ac unit by any means ...far more capable than a little roof-top unit. I wonder what a complete new unit would cost?? ...though I see no indication he needs one...