Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rick,
I've never tried this too see what would happen. However, when switching the key position from the left (accessory mode) to the right (start the engine) the travel light comes on. If the jacks are even a little bit down the warning buxxer goes off.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my 05 Vectra I have the same problem. My manual from HWH is very specific not to use any lubricant. that being said a few weeks ago was camped next to a fellow who had just traded a coach like mine and he said he had the same issue. he sprayed the shaft with WD 40 before retracting and he felt that they were faster. Also my drivers rear is always the last to clear on the monitor. I tried the WD 40 and it seem to help some, but the reality is they take a long time to retract and of course it always seems longer when you are wanting to get on the road. Now I pull in my slides, push the store button and go about doing my other chores to get ready to travel. Seems to make my stress level go away.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I spray my HWH jacks with WD40 every time before retracting. All 4 up in less than a minute. I will admit I had new springs installed last year. My 2005 Horizon had an old style spring that drove me nuts with a slow retraction time. The new and improved springs worked alot better but I was a little dissapointed that they didn't work faster. Now I just spray them lightly with WD40 and they work great every time. I walk around the coach to check them and by the time I'm back at the door, they are finished retracting.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Rick,
I've never tried this too see what would happen. However, when switching the key position from the left (accessory mode) to the right (start the engine) the travel light comes on. If the jacks are even a little bit down the warning buxxer goes off.
Now you've got me thinking too.

I "think" that my green travel mode light goes off if any of the jacks aren't fully retracted but I'm going to have to check it now to be sure.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Two of the jacks on my 2006 Journey 39K were slow also. I took it to HWH in Moscow, IA. They replaced the front driver's side jack that was bent. (Don't know how that happened.) But the passenger side rear was within tolerance which to them is 15 minutes. Really? Before I wholesaled the coach I was forcing that jack up with a scissors jack just to speed up the process. It just didn't want to seat. I had tried WD40 and silicone also but that didn't work all that well. The alarm was always very annoying. They could have provided some way to silence it after five minutes.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Two of the jacks on my 2006 Journey 39K were slow also. I took it to HWH in Moscow, IA. They replaced the front driver's side jack that was bent. (Don't know how that happened.) But the passenger side rear was within tolerance which to them is 15 minutes. Really? Before I wholesaled the coach I was forcing that jack up with a scissors jack just to speed up the process. It just didn't want to seat. I had tried WD40 and silicone also but that didn't work all that well. The alarm was always very annoying. They could have provided some way to silence it after five minutes.

As mentioned above on my 39K retracting the jacks with the ignition key in the auxiliary position the jacks alarm is off.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F. Our jacks are painfully slow. The rears will go up at a good pace but the front ones are terrible. Sometimes the front passenger can take 30-45 minutes. Sometimes it stops altogether and you have to put it all the way back down and start all over. It became so annoying we dreaded having to level the coach at all. When we returned from our last trip we took it in to our local shop and told them to please check it out. They said that they were replacing a switch to see if that helps. If not, then we will try some of your suggestions. We never thought of lubricating them.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mary,

There is a good chance that for the price of a spray can of silicone and the inconvenience of laying on your back to reach under your coach with the jacks down to spray the rams they will start retracting better. It may take several applications to see improvement.

The other thing that can help is replacing the springs. The better/stronger springs can be identified by looking at the ends of the springs. The newer good ones have a tapered/bee hive shape end. If yours are not like that get a set of the newer style ones.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Mary, There is a good chance that for the price of a spray can of silicone and the inconvenience of laying on your back to reach under your coach with the jacks down to spray the rams they will start retracting better. It may take several applications to see improvement. The other thing that can help is replacing the springs. The better/stronger springs can be identified by looking at the ends of the springs. The newer good ones have a tapered/bee hive shape end. If yours are not like that get a set of the newer style ones.
I agree. Like I was told, that stuff is like magic in can.

Alan
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinreddin View Post
We have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F. Our jacks are painfully slow. The rears will go up at a good pace but the front ones are terrible. Sometimes the front passenger can take 30-45 minutes. Sometimes it stops altogether and you have to put it all the way back down and start all over. It became so annoying we dreaded having to level the coach at all. When we returned from our last trip we took it in to our local shop and told them to please check it out. They said that they were replacing a switch to see if that helps. If not, then we will try some of your suggestions. We never thought of lubricating them.
Do you have a HWH 325 jack system?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, levelers, leveling, leveling jacks