Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

It pays to have a good upholsterer

I had one 35 years ago that fixed or made a lot of things for us (custom windshield cover, velcro screen door, custom bed liner for my Avalanche, cushions for my little tractor trailer, etc.)

Alas, he retired some years ago, and I've been looking for someone ever since. I've tried a couple was was not particularly pleased until today.

Our preowned Sunstar was lacking one couch bolster. We didn't even know one was missing until I made up the booth into a bed when my wife had a cold. I needed to sleep around a bolster shaped hole in the mattress assembled out of booth and couch cushions.

Through a dealer, a new bolster would have been about $80 plus shipping plus 3-4 weeks.

I tried a little shop I'd had my eye on. He had vinyl on hand that's a real close match. I gave him other bolster as a pattern. 5 days and $50 later...

I talked to him about a lot of other projects, like fixing the wearing piping/welt on the captain's chairs, or even rebuilding them with speakers behind our heads, and others.

So, now I look for little one-person shops in industrial areas, too small to maybe even advertise. This guy's shop looks very similar my old guy's shop, a little cluttered, no real office, but lots of jobs..
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Nice job! Looks clean and professional.

Hard to tell if you are simply sharing your satisfaction, or building a list of like artists to roll in to on your travels.

If the latter, I have nothing but good to say about my favorite here in Tucson, Angel's El Toro Upholstery. Won't talk specific prices, but he put a smile on this old tightwad's face.

Angel took our easy rest down to frame and installed new, firmer foam and fabric. Same with our dinette, which ultimately we did not reinstall, but sold to a great couple from up near you for their 39. Angel also removed the vinyl bedroom and bath ceiling, somehow cleaned it, and reglued it over new foam.

'course, he is a couple of wallydocks from you.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote