Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Is winter fuel retreatment necessary?

At the end of last season I topped off the tank in my Journey 40L and added Biobor JF. We didn't take the rig out this year, and it will be stored in Michigan over the Winter. Should I add another dose of the Biobor or should the tank be good?
schmitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi schmitts,
I believe it should be good without adding more, providing the bottle with which you treated the tank is less than two years old at this time. The rated shelf life for Biobor-JF is three years:
https://www.biobor.com/wp-content/up...ation-IATA.pdf
Because this is a long time to not use a tank of diesel, I would be ready to replace your filter(s) when you run it next spring.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-10-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi schmitts,
I believe it should be good without adding more, providing the bottle with which you treated the tank is less than two years old at this time. The rated shelf life for Biobor-JF is three years:
Thanks for your advice, E5!
Old 10-11-2023, 08:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I tend to look at things from the risk/reward angle.
How much trouble/expense to add more and be sure versus what it costs me if I cut things to short and have to deal with the results of a mistake?

I remember it getting pretty cold most every winter in Michigan? Does it still do that?
I never wanted to take chances when I was up North!

I took a coat with me, even if I was going to be in the car!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I tend to look at things from the risk/reward angle.
How much trouble/expense to add more and be sure versus what it costs me if I cut things to short and have to deal with the results of a mistake?

I remember it getting pretty cold most every winter in Michigan? Does it still do that?
I never wanted to take chances when I was up North!

I took a coat with me, even if I was going to be in the car!
Thanks for your reply, Morich. Not trying to save money, I have the Biobar. I'm just hesitant to add the Biobar when I'm not going to drive the rig to get it mixed through the tank of diesel. Also my understanding is that getting water and perhaps algae in the tank isn't a common problem in Michigan because it is so cold, so I suppose that's working in my favor.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yes, see the question better if not going to drive a bit. Those small points can often make the difference, Sorry about what I assumed!
If not driven, it may just mean more than needed in the tank and none getting into the lines and all those little spots where we find it really needed most??
Any possibility of adding it and then even just running the Rv a short distance back and forth to mix it and then let the engine run for a bit to get it in the lines?

Hope you knew I was joking when asking if it still gets cold there. I spent some time in WAY cold country and it still effects my thinking 50 years later.
We had tunnels to use to go to eat because it was too cold to go outside!
Actually it may have cracked a few spots in my brain!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Any possibility of adding it and then even just running the Rv a short distance back and forth to mix it and then let the engine run for a bit to get it in the lines?

Hope you knew I was joking when asking if it still gets cold there. I spent some time in WAY cold country and it still effects my thinking 50 years later.

Yeah, to some extent I'm just being lazy. I suppose driving a bit around the park would do the trick. I just don't want to have to bring up the jacks and get it back in place if there isn't a real benefit. And taking it on the road means paying for a month of a license. That's why I liked Eagle5's reply. But your advice makes sense, too.

Michigan winters have actually gotten pretty mild. I'm near Detroit and last Winter I only used my snowblower once!
Old 10-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi schmitts,
https://www.biobor.com/wp-content/up...ation-IATA.pdf
Because this is a long time to not use a tank of diesel, I would be ready to replace your filter(s) when you run it next spring.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
I agree.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm with Richard. You really can't overdose the Biobor.
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:57 PM   #10
1996 Itasca 29Q

I would run the rig up to operating temperature to circulate the fuel in the lines and tank, it also helps remove any moisture in the engine!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
I would run the rig up to operating temperature to circulate the fuel in the lines and tank, it also helps remove any moisture in the engine!
Cummins says 20 minutes minimum after reaching normal temperature is required to evaporate moisture in the crankcase; that's driving time not idling time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, fuel