Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Padded ceiling wrinkles repair

Hi all,
I have a 2018 vista that has had wrinkles in ceiling in one area ever since it was new. I see a seam bracket running horizontally across ceiling and I am assuming that is where I would try to pop it off to access the padded material on ceiling. My question is am I biting off more than I know here? I don't want to get into it and not be able to put it back or worse have to take it to a dealer to repair. It is a purely cosmetic issue for me.
Anybody done this?
Bradwoodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are several running posts on the subject of ceiling sag/wrinkles. Having gone through it ourselves, I have posted in several of those. Search back in this forum to about 1/13/21 for one thread.

As you probably have figured out, our ceilings (headliners) are foam backed vinyl or fabric that is glued to the ceiling substrate. Over time, the foam deteriorates into a crumbly mess and the vinyl/fabric sags.

Don't recall if it was Aesop, Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, or the Bible, but somebody once said that "given enough time, an amateur can do anything". Regardless, as a couple who take pride in maintenancing our "stuff", re-hanging that sagging ceiling was a job we started, then out sourced to a local auto upholsterer. (Hey, headliner is headliner)

All things are possible, but I doubt your ceiling foam is deteriorated. More likely a lazy glue job. With the transverse seam caps off, I would think it doable to break the glue line, snug out the wrinkles and re-glue that area.

Our rig is several years older than yours, so we were very reticent to pry off those transverse seam bracket caps, fearing they were brittle. Angel got them off and back on no worse for the wear.

Good Luck!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, repair