Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help Micro Minnie Roof Maintenance

We’ve had our 2108DS for about 2 1/2 years, and have not experience any leaks from our rubber roof. I haven’t done anything to maintain the roof other than regularly checking it. There doesn’t appear to be any hardening or cracking of the Dicor.

Question is: should I replace all the Dicor this year, or let it ride until I notice a change in the appearance of the original Dicor?
Old 01-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Roof Maintenance

Hi Jim,
Attached is what I from Winnebago, hope it helps.
Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DiFlex-II-OEM-Warranty-9-10-13-Final.pdf (125.3 KB, 95 views)
RonW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Ron,
Unfortunately, the statement doesn’t tell you much about when to replace the Dicor. All it says is it has a limited lifespan, but doesn’t say how long. I inspect more often than the six months they recommend. But how the heck do you know when to replace it if there’s no obvious degradation like hardening, cracking, loss of adhesion. If it still looks like new, does it need to be replaced every couple of years?
Old 01-22-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check carefully around the edges of the Dicor where it meets the roof. If it's cracked or visibly lifting that's a sign it should be replaced. A void will often appear to be black or very dirty. It's important that all services, including old Dicor are clean before applying more. I'd be cautious and only apply new sealant where it's needed.

Remember, much of The Dicor you see is superfluous. It's the sealant between the fixture (vent, etc.) and the Dicor on top of the mounting screws that's doing the work.

I come from a sailboating background and I've never understood why the RV industry glops on sealant by the bucket, while on a boat, you almost never see any sealant. At most, you'll see a small bead around the fixture like you might find around your bathtub. And, if anything, boats are subject to much worse conditions than the typical RV. It's the mounting compound underneath the fixture or in the screw holes. I guess it's just faster to apply in huge globs from a caulking gun.

Keep in mind that the Dicor "lap sealant" you'll use on your roof isn't the same as what you'll use for any vertical surfaces like your sidewalls. Winnebago publishes sealant "callout sheets" for their motorhomes that detail what sealants to use where, but, unfortunately, not for their towables so I don't know what to recommend. I think this is a great disservice, along with the lack of wiring and plumbing diagrams, etc.

Some of us use Eternabond tape to seal our roof fixtures:

https://www.amazon.com/eternabond-ta...ternabond+tape

Here are links to some videos and articles. Like many things, there are those who are dead set against it but it's served me well. On the other hand, my 35' motorhome roof is a bit bigger challenge than were my two smaller TTs on which I always used Dicor:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eter...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow,
Great guidance.
Thanks Bob!

Tags
maintenance, roof