Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Conditions requiring winterization?

Not sure if this is a plumbing or heating/HVAC issue so posting here.

I have a 2019 Winnebago Forza bought new this summer. After a season of use it's time to take it for warranty service to get the punchlist taken care-of.

So I'm headed on a pilgrimage to Forest City IA the week after next. I'm driving there on Sunday and will stay overnight to give them the coach on Monday for the service appointment. I don't have more than a 10-day forecast but 9 or 10 days from now it looks to be mid-30's during the day and low 20's at night.

Assuming I have the furnace on full blast for the drive and overnight, do I need to perform plumbing winterization due to the cold temps expected? Or will the furnace provide some heat to the basement and wherever the water lines run? I noted two open tubes piping into the basement that look like they might be for HVAC (see pic)...does that provide basement heat? If the coach weren't parked 60 miles away right now Id check!. If that is a heat source, is it enough?

Thanks!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	175395  
MattyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

First off, good move heading to Iowa for factory service!

Next, winterizing isn’t needed for cold nights followed by above freezing days. Your RV is a large thermal mass and it takes days of seriously below freezing temps - consistent below freezing temps - without warm ups to get that big hunk of metal and the stuff in it down to below freezing.

Especially if you’re running the furnace and the factory is putting your rig indoors everyday to work on it.

Give them everything on your list and even if your slides are not on the list I’d put it on there... “that big slide isn’t closing good and it’s not flush with the sidewalls.” I did that and the “slide team” put in extra rollers and got it adjusted just right.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice...that slide tip is GOLDEN!!
Old 10-20-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Awesome move to go to Forest City. (We've been there at least 4 times since buying our 2017 Minnie Winnie). I wouldn't worry about freezing about this early in the season. Another tip is to have a small electric space heater in the RV. With moderate temps this time of year, it will reduce the amount of time the furnace runs. (Forest City has power at many of it's "sites").

Forest City has always been very responsive and efficient for us. (There were bugs to work out in a new Minnie Winnie but once those worked out, much better).
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree with the above, but be careful about getting up in the morning in the low 20s and driving for hours. That 60+ mph wind may overwhelm the basement heater.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with what has been said, but I come down on the other side of the 'should you winterize' answer.
If it's mid 30s during the day and 20s at night, no need to winterize. However I lived in Ia for 20 years and know how quickly it can get really cold there, for a long time. If the weather guessers are off by just a few degrees you'll have days of below freezing weather. Also it's currently predicted to be cloudy, so it doesn't look like you'll be picking up any warmth from the sun.

I know it's a PITA, but I'd suggest winterizing the beast. That way you don't HAVE to count on the weather being 'good' and you don't HAVE to count on them keep your rig plugged in and warm while they've got it, and you don't have to worry about whether or not you run out of LP because it was colder than expected and the heater ran more than you thought it was going to. To me that's better than having some bit of plumbing freeze and burst because winterizing is a not-fun process.

If you know for SURE that they will only have your rig for a day or two then you'd probably be alright, but the minute you leave it with them it's all up to them to take care of it for you - and we've all heard stories where that didn't happen.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just be careful about the Truma AquaGo water heater. it delivers great hot water on demand. But it is on the exterior of the coach. On our 2019 Forza 34T it is to the rear of the bedroom window. While you don't need to worry about much of the coach if the freeze is just overnight, that water heater will freeze up and cause damage that will require replacement. I speak from over $1600 of experience. I recommend draining the hot water heater overnight and opening it on the outside and make sure there is no water in the trap to freeze.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie M View Post
Just be careful about the Truma AquaGo water heater. it delivers great hot water on demand. But it is on the exterior of the coach. On our 2019 Forza 34T it is to the rear of the bedroom window. While you don't need to worry about much of the coach if the freeze is just overnight, that water heater will freeze up and cause damage that will require replacement. I speak from over $1600 of experience. I recommend draining the hot water heater overnight and opening it on the outside and make sure there is no water in the trap to freeze.
Funny you should mention the water heater. I figured if I left it on it would keep all the water in and around it really hot. But when set to the gas mode it is malfunctioning and that is #4 on my punch list for the service center. I was thinking to leave it on in electric mode but sounds like it’s a risk.

All that said, despite having highs in the 20’s and lows in the teens in Forest City this week, the forecast lows for Monday and Tuesday next week are now up to 38 and 37 with highs in the 50’s. Sweet!!

Tags
winter