Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Another newb Roof Radius Repair Question

I bought a month ago a 2000 Adventurer that the roof radius peeled back about 10 feet in a wind storm last week. Reading tons on here about different sealants it seems like Henry 212 & Proflex are the concensus. Both are silicone. However the Winnebago sealant chart for my year & model calls out 07889-20-000 which is Manus 75 an urethane. Which should I go with? Thanks!
Duner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can't find any info stating that either Henry 212 or Proflex is silicone based:

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/curr...2_techdata.pdf

https://www.buildsite.com/pdf/geocel...ta-2106329.pdf

I've used Manus 75 on my 2002 without issues. As long as you stick with one of the commonly recommended products and apply it properly, you'll be OK. The failure on your MH was most likely due to lack of maintenance or poor application. Clear Proflex seems to be preferred by those with full body paint.

Personally I'd ask Lictsinn and Winnebago as to what they currently recommend.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

My mistake. You are correct.
Duner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have suspected that the Manus bond is superior to the Proflex, and the only reason Proflex is used on some is because they have full body paint and it comes in clear, Manus bond does not come in clear.
I used Proflex thinking it was the best at the time, and I do have full body paint, but if Manus bond was better I would use it regardless of the color.
There was discussion here a while back on the two products and if I recall we were waiting for some time to pass to see how the different products held up.
My Proflex is holding up but may not be a true test as I store my rig indoors so it doesn't see more than about 60 days of sun per year at the present time. I did have a very short section (4") at the front edge that just separated in the middle, it was still adhered to the rail and to the filon. I filled it in with fresh Proflex about 6 months ago and it is holding well. One thing to note on the Proflex is to check the dates as it only has a 9 month shelf life. I bought mine in person at Camping World just so I could pick thru the dates, I don't think this is something you want to order online if you don't have to.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would not recommend Proflex. Used it and ended up having to remove it two months later as the bond was failing. When I did remove the Proflex I found that the product was very inconsistent and uncured in many places. Before you ask, I did an excellent job prepping prior to applying the Profex. Redid with Manus Bond 75 but the clear product seems to be unavailable now. If you can use white or grey amazon has it. My roof is still holding after more than a year. I agree with BobC call Lictsinn RV and order from them what they recommend. I believe they no longer recommend Manus Bond
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Having used both Proflex and Manus Bond, I too agree that Manus Bond seems to do much better. I've had some application problems with proflex and have found Manus Bond to be easier to apply and its seems to hold up much better than proflex.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The drip rail is the only thing holding the fiberglass onto the MH. That is why W says to inspect the sealant/adhesive 2X a year at the top of the drip rail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WGO Roof Section Very Hvy Annotation.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	187760  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It's the only thing securing the edge of the fiberglass. It's also glued to a 1/8" plywood substrate that's in turn glued to the foam structure, but, as you know, if wind gets under the edge, it's going to delaminate. Here's a good video on roof structure if you haven't seen it. It's seven years old so it may not reflect Lichtsinn's current sealant recommendation.

https://youtu.be/BJz7doxPQXg?si=fG6p7UrUL0TDze6h
Old 11-03-2023, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Manus 75 does come in clear....have ordered/used it just a couple months ago. Got it from a sealant company in Florida and the date code showed it was only 6 weeks old. You do not want to use manus that is over 6 months old.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Manus 75 does come in clear....have ordered/used it just a couple months ago. Got it from a sealant company in Florida and the date code showed it was only 6 weeks old. You do not want to use manus that is over 6 months old.
Are you going to share your source or is it a secret?
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had to do a Google search to find it again. Sunshine Supply https://www.sunshinesupply.com/
Old 11-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Had to do a Google search to find it again. Sunshine Supply https://www.sunshinesupply.com/
oooh that's good info, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:41 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I'm currently using Pro-flex but wouldn't hesitate to switch if Manus is better and/or easier application.

I used to replace all of it every couple of years, a royal PITA, and so have switched to inspecting it regularly, and only removing and replacing that which is no longer holding. I also, this year, applied the Pro-flex and then painted over it in a couple of small areas with black Flex Seal. I want to see if maybe this will help protect it from UV rays and hence make it last long. OR, it could make it worse - we'll see.

Previously I had been renting scaffolding to make the job easier (ha) but this year bought my own "home version" from Harbor Freight and it worked like a champ. Reasonably inexpensive and now, no more renting and returning.

I'm not planning on replacing my unit any time soon, but I wouldn't buy another Winnie for this very reason. JMO
Old 11-06-2023, 06:30 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post

Previously I had been renting scaffolding to make the job easier (ha) but this year bought my own "home version" from Harbor Freight and it worked like a champ. Reasonably inexpensive and now, no more renting and returning. ...
Sounds like a great solution. How high is the scaffold board above ground level to stand on and does it get you high enough to easily access the J channel?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #15
'21 View 24J

All great info, thanks to all.

I've always wondered why Winnebago leaves that sealant exposed to the elements and sun? Does anyone have any good ideas as to why they do that? I'm not looking forward to replacing that roof radius sealant, when my time eventually comes.

With that in mind, I did an experiment about two years ago - I covered up a small area of the sealant on our year old View with some PVC electrical tape, about six inches, and left it for nine months. When I took off the tape, the difference in the health of the sealant was significant. So much so that I decided right then and there that I was going to keep the sun off the sealant. After washing the length of each edge lip, I ran a strip of the PVC tape over each of the J channels ; it fits nicely with the contour of the radius and likely is only noticeable to me.

Crazy idea? Not sure, dunno. The tape has held just fine after a couple of years of four season use - has it delayed the inevitable for me?

Here are a couple of photos - The first is the test strip I let sit for nine months ... you can clearly see the difference that short time away from the sun made to its health. The second is what the tape run looks like - with our colour scheme I don't think it is noticeable as a tape job.

I can't think of any good reason not to keep that sealant away from UV exposure. Let me know if I'm missing something obvious, thanks.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	webroofradius1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	592.0 KB
ID:	187775   Click image for larger version

Name:	webroofradius2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	684.8 KB
ID:	187776  

Ontario Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The drip rail is the only thing holding the fiberglass onto the MH. That is why W says to inspect the sealant/adhesive 2X a year at the top of the drip rail
Thank you, Thank You for posting that photo!! This explains a Lot! Even though we read the manuals we have, we never found anything about checking the roof edge, grrrr.

We have a 1998 Vectra 34’ 8” Class A that we bought used And, you guessed it, the entire length of the roof came away during a wind storm last November, we even lost some of the curved foam. We had planned to fix the roof this past summer, but I am still working my post-retirement job and could not get the time off, sigh…

We now have the foam, still in the box, and have secured (we hope!) the roof edge with gorilla tape, a Lot of tape.
Evpraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

This seems to be a better solution than Eternabond, which is difficult to remove. Be sure to make sure the PVC tape is the "all-weather" variety. All-weather Gorilla tape is another possibility. I have some on my van that's lasted for years without any visible deterioration.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:29 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

American rascal, I've attached a pic (sorry for the ugly mug shot). It takes less than ten minutes to assemble and stores easily. There are a couple of things to note, it's somewhat heavy but (for me) manageable, I assemble it all while it's laying on the ground, lock all of the wheels and stand it upright. I then unlock the wheels, roll it to where I want it, and lock the wheels again. I found it easiest to get on and off of it from a ladder.

Ontario Don, what a great tape job and pics! Can you, or anyone, provide specifics on the tape used? Why reinvent the wheel - right?

Great discussion for a universal Winnie problem.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20231027_101446-1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	187778  
Old 11-07-2023, 03:37 AM   #19
'21 View 24J

Upinsmoke - I started with generic PVC electrical tape I had in the bag. It has held fine now for a few seasons, and I don't see it letting go anytime soon. After my next inspection, I'll take Bob C's advice and see if there would be something else out there even better.

Great looking scaffold and rig.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:47 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

For search purposes that is what is known as a "Baker Scaffold". I use one that is twice as high with guardrail and a gate. You can also buy a podium ladder, it is similar to a step ladder with a platform at the top. Depending on your height you would need a 6' or 8'.

Aaron ��
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roof