Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 intent 30 r....Converter reset button where is it hidden

Having a problem with our 2019 Winnebago intent 30r.. we have lost battery power to the radio.. front shade back up camera ... Door step.and a few other things we are told converter is get power. ..but these things are not working. The person seems to think there is a reset button hidden someplace... But have looked around ... (We are not talking about the pure sime inverter under the plywood under the sink ) this is the converter by the circuit breaker. Please help .. we are desperate
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some basics first, perhaps to cut confusion?
Rv will have three electrical systems and those are all three separated and sometimes connected, at different times for different things so knowing does what part to help will make it easier to know where to look. Larger and older will have different parts than newer, so what others have may not be what YOU have!

When plugged in or running generator, you have 110AC to run Air conditioner, microwave and an inverter to pass the power to outlets, tv that use 110AC.
This 110 AC also goes to the "load center" which is not listed as converter but it does "convert" AC to make 12VDC and charge batteries!

Where the breakers and fuses are located behind a panel/door, there is likely to be one listed for converter and you may hear the converter hum behind that load center when it is quiet in the RV.
I do not know of any other reset or button on your model converter besides the one breaker that should be labeled.

One way to do a quick check on the converter is to use a meter on the coach battery. While plugged in, the converter should be putting out more than 12.5-13 VDC, so if you then turn off the breaker and the batteries have to start feeding things like the lights and vent fans, you will see that voltage reading start to go down!
Plugged in, converter on, voltage looks pretty high as it is being charged, then when it stops getting that charge, the voltage begins to go low!

Much easier than getting it out of the cabinet to check!

Some other things you may want to find someday?
This shows the load center at left in grey, converter on bottom behind vent
slots. Behind and hidden in cabinet bottom is the transfer switch and inverter. Inverter uses DC battery power to make" some" AC to power maybe a few things like TV and outlet or two. Maybe only 1000Watts, so not too many things!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	179023  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

30r 2019 intent...

Ok another question. Found the inverter u set the cabinet..question I think it's tripped. Doe that need to be engaged for the inverter switch on the wall to switch to battery use..the motorhome has been a headache...tyia
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Call me crazy but, I doubt the converter runs any of the items you listed (radio.. front shade back up camera ... Door step). I'd say all those items are powered by your Chassis battery.

If this happened to me I would check the Chassis battery. It could be dead, or the disconnect could be off, or the solenoid that operates the disconnect could be bad.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjanis View Post
the motorhome has been a headache...tyia
Perhaps you didn't realize it when you purchased your RV... but RVs are made up of a great many systems and subsystems.

It's like operating and maintaining a delivery truck (chassis) and a whole house.

On top of that you have options and controls and functions that no home or vehicle has normally. Icing the cake is the fact that your roll this huge thing down all manner of roads and locales that are hostile to both the chassis and the house.

Many people are attracted to RVing for the natural fun you have with friends and family in the outdoors.

BUT never loose sight of the genuine needs that will be required from you to keep things operating. Owning an RV is a headache and a pain in some other places south of your head. Don't expect it to be all fun.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Creative make a good point on what you mention as being out. The RV has the 12VDC section that works like a car or truck, horn, headlights, and some things we expect to work as part of driving like the step at the door. Part of the funny on Rv is that you have a hard time keeping the steps where you want them because they are certain they do NOT want you driving with the step out nor the step in when you open the door!
So they wire it to the engine system and it's almost impossible to keep it from putting the steps out if you open the door. NO falling out!

So to start over, it is possible you were not told the right things about the converter. The converter is much the same as a battery charger and it charges batteries! On our RV it charges the coach batteries and those do things like keep the inside lights, some vent fans and 12VDC items working.
But the converter is not what normally charges the start battery as that is done the same as on a car and the engine alternator charges the start battery.

A third system is the power cord which does the heavy duty things that need 110AC like the air conditioner, microwave and TV. But there are times when we want to use an outlet, maybe to make a cup of coffee and we are not plugged, so they put in a small inverter that can give maybe a 1000watts of 110 ac power and it uses the coach batteries 12 VDC to make 110 AC for a little while----as long as the batteries last!

Options? WE may have too many options. We turn on the coffee pot and it works, even when we are not plugged in and that confuses us. So when it stops working thirty minutes later we get even more confused because it is the 12 Volt battery that goes dead.
How the dang thing worked because we never plugged it in to start!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Call me crazy but, I doubt the converter runs any of the items you listed (radio.. front shade back up camera ... Door step). I'd say all those items are powered by your Chassis battery.

If this happened to me I would check the Chassis battery. It could be dead, or the disconnect could be off, or the solenoid that operates the disconnect could be bad.

Same thought here. It could be just a chassis fuse in the dash or under the hood however it then behooves us to question what caused the fuse to fail.

Was any work done on the vehicle coincidental to this failure?

Tags
converter