Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We own a 2004 39W Journey. The switches for both the engine block heater and the electric hot water heater are hidden behind the closet doors above the washer / dryer closet.

On more than one occasion I have left these switches on longer than I wanted because there is no "VISIBLE" reminder that they are on.

1) are these switches 110 V or 12 V switches?

2) have any of you installed any LED or neon lights that are visible outside of the closet to remind you that these switches are on?

Thanks for your help
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We own a 2004 39W Journey. The switches for both the engine block heater and the electric hot water heater are hidden behind the closet doors above the washer / dryer closet.

On more than one occasion I have left these switches on longer than I wanted because there is no "VISIBLE" reminder that they are on.

1) are these switches 110 V or 12 V switches?

2) have any of you installed any LED or neon lights that are visible outside of the closet to remind you that these switches are on?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are they nomal size electrical switchs? They both sound like 110 switches if the one to your hot water tank is on without water, winterized, in tank it will burn out your element in tank. :
The other will just keep your electric bill high heating your oil if you plug in coach during winter. You should be able to convert to switchs with leds if they are 110v ckts.
You maybe able to find some led indicators to mount on wall outside closet in electric supply distributors.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I need help interpreting the wiring diagrams for my rig ... 2004 39W Journey ...

I have figured out that the switch for the engine block heater is 110 V ... this switch appears in the 110 V wiring installation as well as the 110 V wiring diagram ...

I am not skilled enough to read the diagrams for the hot water heater switch ... it appears on the 12V wiring installation ... but in 12 V the wiring diagram detail EP there are three codes "JP", "HHJ", and "JA" in the diagram ... so

a) does this mean it is a 12V switch?

b) do those three codes correspond to three distinct 12V conductors physically connected to the switch? or will I find just two conductors on the switch?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"JP", "HHJ", and "JA" in the diagram ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Those are the wire numbers and are printed every few inches on the wires themselves. You should be able to look on the schematic and see if those numbers go to 12 vdc or 110 vac although that can sometimes be a challenge.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The heating element in your WH is 110v switch has to be 110 unless it controls a 12v relay control ckt to apply 110v to your heating element.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hey skigramp,

Would some kind of sign/flag/marker-type device on the outside of the door work for you? I have some of them as reminder devices in various places in the coach. They work for me and were less of a hassle than making up warning lights.

Just a low-tech suggestion.

Frank
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Both switches are 120v. Mine are "hidden" up against the ceiling in the hallway, and just last month I put neon "pilot" lights on the switch plates. I got a package of two lights at Radio Shack for $3.50 ...choice of green or amber. I see no reason why you could not mount the lights somewhere else by running the wires from the switches to wherever you want. My description is under the discussion titled "Electric switch pilot lights" at http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/3931049852
Old 08-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

SkiGramp
Before doing anything I would contact Winnebago at their 800 number and ask them about the switches whether they are AC or not. More than likely they are and I would watch what I do unless you are familiar with AC.
What I would do is get a blank plate and mount 2 LED's or Indicator lights on it and then cut a hole in the wall closest to the switches and mount a shallow box in it. Then I would run AC wires of the proper gauge to the swishes from the load side of the existing switches. Take care though as this will be 110VAC. Make sure coach has no shore power connected while doing it. After connecting one end of wires (2 conductor) to existing switch I would connect other end across LED ( make sure they will work with AC as they may need a resistor or diode.) After LED's are all wired mount plate to box and label each LED.
Note: I would check with Winnebago and maybe they could tell you better or maybe there is a light someplace that you don't know of.
ASk first to be sure
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote