Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2024, 10:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Adventurer starting issues with OBD2 Error Code B1352

I bought a code reader last October when i started having a charging issue. It helped me solve my problem at the time but it also indicated I had a B1352 error code, which it says is a: Ignition Key-In Circuit Failure. At the time the web source related to the code described it as not a big issue as it's related to the alarm to remind you, a key is in the ignition. It seemed to pose no issue. Fast forward to April this year. I had started the RV many times since October and was getting ready for a trip in April when about 2 weeks before the trip the engine wouldn't start.
After I couldn't find the issue, I contacted a mechanic who came out and said the starter was bad. He said it tested bad at the shop. Replaced the starter and it started fine. About a week or so later many miles from home, the same issue presented itself. This time the mechanic I called out said it had a corroded and lose ground on the starter to chassis. Started fine again. He said that may have been the problem all along but he couldn't tell since the starter had been changed.
The B1352 error code has remained all along. Further research turned up a couple articles that stated if the code isn't solved it can cause other issues with the electrical system. My question is, have others experienced this code and could it be related to my other issues and could it cause other problems if left unchecked?
Dray1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Dray1953,
Just out of curiosity, have you driven in salt water or on roads with salt used as a deicer?
It is possible that both the starter and the ground connection were corroded, and you had a double-failure. Either that, or as the second mechanic speculated, it was always a bad ground wire. Either way, it is easy to start to doubt the repair when it needs to be repeated, but it does sound like it is fixed for sure now.
I would ignore the B1352 code and put it out of my mind.
Eagle5
Old 05-02-2024, 07:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since each code has some meaning, what did you find the code indicated? Did it only indicate an electrical issue with no more info or did it point to what the issue might be?
When I look at that code it talks about the ignition key circuit.
I would not want to totally ignore the issue as that can lead to letting a small thing turn into big. Maybe there was something indicated like the starter requiring too much current to crank? That might be telling you that some part of the electrical path was not right! Maybe that was the ground?
It sounds like you have been dealing with poor service and they are not looking much beyond the normal!
For DIY, I would want to go in search of what the code is actually trying to tell you. Once I have a good understanding of the report, then I would have to decide which way to go.
One of the common faults when dealing with electrical issues is finding the ground is not good. That sounds like the first repair just went with the easy, expensive way and changed the starter. That new starter may have made a cleaner, better ground to the engine block and worked better for a short time. But if the strap from the engine block was corroded, the second repair found it.
But the big question, if that is what the code indicates, may be whether they checked BOTH ends of that ground strap!
I can only guess and certainly have no idea what the code is telling you, so this ground strap idea is just an idea.

Maybe it is as simple as too many keys and junk hanging down to pull the ignition switch contacts out of line? That can change daily/hourly but if not corrected, it can also ruin the ignition switch and cost you a fair amount of trouble!
One thing it may do is leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere and cost you a major tow bill!

One thing I'm pretty sure of is what the code is NOT telling you. It is NOT telling you to ignore this as it is nothing! It may turn out to be small but it is giving you a warning that it thinks you need to know!

People die because they ignore the CO2 detector! Don't take the battery out of the fire alarm if it keeps going off and bothering you!

This may be a time when you have to pay more to get the right answer? But if I get an alarm saying there is something wrong with the ignition, I pay attention as I don't want to call that tow truck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the response.
No, I have not driven on any salty roads.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for responding. I've been thinking about all the possible implications of the code also. I may have to take further steps.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Team

My 2008 Mustang had a failure of the key-in alert, and I accidentally locked myself out because of it. Repaired under warranty, the failure reoccurred in my third year of ownership. Instead of paying to repair it a second time, I chose to keep a spare door key in my pocket so that I cannot find myself locked-out again. As far as my Minnie Winnie is concerned, I keep a spare door/ignition key in my pocket "just in case."
Old 05-02-2024, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

While I fully agree that I never want to take an RV to the shop, I look at it something like many of the other things we do.
If I have a question about my health, it does come down to what to do. If I have a sore ankle, I often ignore it for a while to see how it goes.
But if I suddenly have a "glitch" in my pulse, I look at it differently. I had a small operation on my nose and wound up with what they call, PVC. PVC is something I can hear and feel and I call it "skipping a beat", even though doctors do not want to call it that!
The difference in my reaction to a sore ankle versus a heart beating odd, is based on how I feel about the two. One, I may limp for a while or even have a stress fracture, etc. But the other seems more like something I might fall over dead one day!
How I react is based on how bad the worst case seems to be, at least until I get more info!
I feel for you and know just how hard it can be to get the right plan but I look at the ignition as so vital, I have to say I would want to get the best info I could before deciding!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, adventurer