Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My Norcold fridge won't light on propane. It trys to light up and then starts to beep after 30 seconds with this code FL. We have gas in the tank.
It makes a "woofing" noise after trying to light also.
It has worked fine on gas all summer. We used it 2 weeks ago and it was fine.
Any ideas?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My Norcold fridge won't light on propane. It trys to light up and then starts to beep after 30 seconds with this code FL. We have gas in the tank.
It makes a "woofing" noise after trying to light also.
It has worked fine on gas all summer. We used it 2 weeks ago and it was fine.
Any ideas?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem after 4 years of use. The "FL" means flow or actually the lack of it. This happens when it tries to light several times and fails or when you have an obstruction in the line and its not getting all of the propane/air mix it needs.

Taking an old toothbrush and vacuum, opened the inspection cover, sucked out all the loose paint chips and gunk then ran the toothbrush over the burner to clean it. I vacuumed the loose stuff again.

After that, it lit first time every time. Give it a try.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim has it right....clean the rust and crud out of the burner area and you should be fine.

I remove that little cover at least once yearly, use an air hose to blow into the flue (which loosens the rust scale), then vacuum the stuff out.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if it's relevent to this problem, but the head of maintenance where I bought my RV told me to put dog flea collars in all the outside vent areas ('fridge, water heater etc, ) to stop spiders from building nests and clogging things up.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

smlranger.....how far up do you run that air hose? and what pressure do you have it set at?

I didn't try that, but my fridg is not cooling as well as new and was wondering if I can be more proactive in getting that stuff out of the flue.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
smlranger.....how far up do you run that air hose? and what pressure do you have it set at?

I didn't try that, but my fridg is not cooling as well as new and was wondering if I can be more proactive in getting that stuff out of the flue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just leave the compressor set at about 135 psi and use a standard blow-gun nozzle...blow up into the flue. Most stuff swirls around and falls to the bottom where I then suck it out with the vac. I also blow off the coils. I also go to the roof and remove the cap and take a look down to make sure there is nothing foreign in there. Fridge cools great.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My fridge was doing the same thing and when it did come on the flame sort of sputtered and didn't sound steady.

After reading these messages I performed the above suggestions and now the flame sounds 100% better, no sputtering sound.

I took the bottom cover off and it was full of crud including lots of soot. I vacuumed out the crud and brushed the burner off with a tooth brush.

Thanks Guys,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote