Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We’re Gonna Need a Bigger Boat?

For all us Micro Mini owners out there towing with a mid-sized pickup:

Thought you might find this interesting. Take a look at the attached pdf.

Just took an inventory of everything We carry in our truck while towing, and things get a little exciting. My tv tows our 2108ds really well with plenty of reserve tow capacity. But it’s a real struggle to stay under the payload capacity of our GMC Canyon (1,544 lbs). Haven’t been to a Cat Scale yet, but this is prompting me to do so. After we load up, we have precious little reserve payload. Tacoma owners have about 100 lbs less, and Rangers about 50 lbs more. Our WDH seems to level it all out pretty well. I’m going to have to jettison some gear from the truck bed, but where to put it? Wondering whether I’ve cut it too close. Time for me to go on a diet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Our Truck Payload.pdf (44.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Jim,

It is surprising how the “necessities” for camping add up when you start to list everything and their associated weights.

However, I don’t think that you will need a “bigger boat”, you will just need to do a little more reorganizing. After all a lot of full-size half tons have around 1600 lbs. of payload especially the high-end models with all the options. For example, a 2021 Tundra Platinum 4X2 has 1620 lbs. payload, the 4X4 version drops to 1530 lbs. – less than your Canyon.

In my book, the number 1 most important thing when loading a trailer is to maintain the tongue weight between 10% and 15% of the loaded trailer weight, even with a sway control hitch.

With that said, I loaded our front pass through with the generator, grill, electrical cords / accessories (plastic tote), tools (plastic tote), fresh hoses / accessories (plastic tote), flush hoses (plastic tote), table, chairs, outdoor items (plastic tote), tire compressor, levelers and assorted soft items bike covers / outside carpet etc.

We loaded the inside of the trailer with all of the “necessities” for camping including everything from plates / flatware, pots / pans, from toaster to Roku stick to clothes and a full refrigerator / freezer of food and many other items too numerous to list.

So, in the truck we have just the two of us and rubber leveling pads, 5 gal. gas and the bikes or the kayaks depending on where we are going.

I adjusted our Blue Ox Swaypro with trailer / truck loaded.

Then weighed the tongue using bath scale and beam and the truck and trailer together at a CAT scale, fully loaded, on the way to Acadia NP.

For our 2006 (first generation) Toyota Tundra and 2019 2108DS:
Tongue weight was around 620 lbs.
Steer (front) axle was 2760 lbs. with a front GAWR of 3500 lbs.
Drive (rear) axle was 2760 lbs. with a rear GAWR of 3650 lbs.
Truck was 5520 lbs. with GVW of 6300 lbs.
Curb weight - 4550 lbs. from 5520 lbs. = 970 lbs. cargo with a cargo capacity of 1607 lbs.
Trailer axles was 4340 lbs. with GAWR of 3500 lbs. X 2 = 7000 lbs.
Truck / Trailer gross weight 9860 lbs. with a GCWR of 11,800 lbs.
Trailer 4340 lbs. + 620 lbs. = 4960 lbs. – tongue weight is 12.5% of trailer weight

In summary, we are below our ratings with reserve capacity and right in the middle of tongue weight being 10% - 15% of trailer weight.

I hope that this helps let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Scale 083019.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	178620  
Old 05-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks RR,
I guess I need to redistribute heavy items from truck bed to pass through. Can’t put gas can or lp bottle there, but can put genny in there. Can move lighter weight camping bins/containers to truck bed. Then I need to get serious about getting to a Cat Scale. Must do for next trip.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jim, one thing that may be missing from your list is a full tank of gas.

According to the Science and Technology Desk Reference, the weight of a gallon of common fuel (such as gasoline) is six pounds. Water is 8.3
Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think GM owners manual says curb weight includes a full tank of gas. I’m now carrying my six gallon water jug in the pass thru. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Jim,

You are welcome.

Regarding propane, we use the two 20 lb. tanks on the trailer. I removed the regulator on the Weber Q grill and replaced it with a quick disconnect fitting to attach via a hose to the regulated quick disconnect propane fitting on the trailer. We keep full tanks on the trailer and use up the partially full ones on the grills at our vacation rental property and at home.

If you need an additional 20 lbs. of propane, I believe you can replace the 20 lb. tanks on the trailer with 30 lb. tanks and not have to carry an additional 20 lb. tank in the truck.

Let us know what you get for weights at the CAT scale, I am curios how the loading of your newer 2108DS and your 2021 Canyon compare to our numbers.

Brian
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Brian,
Good advice on weight redistribution.
We carry a 20lb lp bottle in the bed, which we use for our generator. When it’s empty, we just exchange it if we’re not close to a fill station. I like having 20lb tanks on the tongue because they’re interchangeable with my spare bottle. We usually feed our Blackstone griddle from the trailer quick disconnect.