Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

If you're gonna do an oil change anytime soon

Well march is here. Another travel season is upon us. LOL. I'll be doing my yearly oil change pretty soon. So I was shopping around and I found cummins' recommended DP engine oil the Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy duty 15w 40 at $11.99 a Gallon, At Tractor Supply Co. (advanced auto had it for 19.99 and o'reilly's for 16.99). If y'all are Shell Rotella T4 15w 40 fans, they had it for $29.99 for 2.5 gallons, that comes out to 11.99 a gallon for Rotella. I don't know when the deal expires. just thought I'd let y'all know.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Costco has Rotella for $10.00 per gallon...3 1 gallon containers per package...Gotta be a member is the downsize...cost me about $55.00 for my oil change including filter...Winnebago forza 34t
mgschluns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgschluns View Post
Costco has Rotella for $10.00 per gallon...3 1 gallon containers per package...Gotta be a member is the downsize...cost me about $55.00 for my oil change including filter...Winnebago forza 34t
Costco is also a good source for DEF and diesel, so the membership would probably pay for itself if you do much driving.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgschluns View Post
Sorry, lol. Not a cosco member. I need 7 gallons. Plus filter from cummins. I couldn't find that one on sale: $42
But hey BTW, what is a membership at Costco?
Old 03-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Costco is also a good source for DEF and diesel, so the membership would probably pay for itself if you do much driving.
Definitely. No doubt.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I stocked up on Rotella on sale in Sams for 60 to 65 . For 6 gal boxes . But it getting hard to find at 60 . As i just paid 65 for a box week or so ago .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For those that plan to keep their coaches for awhile, consider sending a sample of your used oil for analysis, then you can monitor your engine's life curve. Costs about $25, Blackstone Labs is one of the providers.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Well march is here. Another travel season is upon us. LOL. I'll be doing my yearly oil change pretty soon. So I was shopping around and I found cummins' recommended DP engine oil the Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy duty 15w 40 at $11.99 a Gallon, At Tractor Supply Co. (advanced auto had it for 19.99 and o'reilly's for 16.99). If y'all are Shell Rotella T4 15w 40 fans, they had it for $29.99 for 2.5 gallons, that comes out to 11.99 a gallon for Rotella. I don't know when the deal expires. just thought I'd let y'all know.
Call me radical. I use Royal Purple CK5 (latest) spec in my coach and change it when the lab test shows signs of it breaking down. I don't do the annual change. I am adding less pollutants to the environment doing this and still protecting my equipment in a responsible way. You might look into this product. In my car, I have tried other oils but I always come back to RP because the power is always better. Have been using this oil for many years now. It is a bit pricey.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, lol. Not a cosco member. I need 7 gallons. Plus filter from cummins. I couldn't find that one on sale: $42
But hey BTW, what is a membership at Costco?
I think we pay $50 a year. You’ll save that much easily. We like it better than Sam’s Club, but each has its merits.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Sam's Club pulled out of Washington state for some reason last year. It was odd.

I don't know how many states each is in, but for people who travel a lot to certain states it might be good to check which states Costco and Sam's Club is in.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
I stocked up on Rotella on sale in Sams for 60 to 65 . For 6 gal boxes . But it getting hard to find at 60 . As i just paid 65 for a box week or so ago .
Hey that's still a pretty good deal. I didn't really go with Rotella because i was trying to follow the cummins motors manual a closely as possible.
Well after purchasing the oil, further research showed that Cummins and Valvoline Renewed a Sales and marketing alliance contract for another 5 yrs. Just like Ford recommends Motorcraft oil and products, because they own it. LOL.
So like the cummins mechanic said, any 15w 40,CJ-4, CI-4 will do, especially if you change oil every 3 to 5K miles.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Call me radical. I use Royal Purple CK5 (latest) spec in my coach and change it when the lab test shows signs of it breaking down. I don't do the annual change. I am adding less pollutants to the environment doing this and still protecting my equipment in a responsible way. You might look into this product. In my car, I have tried other oils but I always come back to RP because the power is always better. Have been using this oil for many years now. It is a bit pricey.
Well, why you keeping us in the dark? Every how many miles do you change your oil and filter, or every how many years? When do you change your fuel filters and air filters? How many miles a yr do you drive?
I heard about Royal Purple, I like the stuff, but I can never find it on sale.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think we pay $50 a year. You’ll save that much easily. We like it better than Sam’s Club, but each has its merits.
what do you find are the Pros and cons of Costco and Sam's??
Old 03-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Quote:

second that, i do the same
Old 03-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, why you keeping us in the dark? Every how many miles do you change your oil and filter, or every how many years? When do you change your fuel filters and air filters? How many miles a yr do you drive?
I heard about Royal Purple, I like the stuff, but I can never find it on sale.
Fair questions.
I change oil at around 17 to 20K of use. Depending on my volunteer route, this could be up to 3 years between oil & filter changes. I use Blackstone Laboratories and send a sample in annually. I just changed my fuel and water separator filters at about 50K. This may be the first time for this coach. My air filter is to be changed ever 7 years according to Racor, the manufacture of the filter, unless the vacuum indicator says otherwise. That change has been done by me a few years ago. I get the chassis lubed about once a year. Many of the roads are rough and the suspension gets a workout. I exercise my generator once a month, under load, for up to an hour. I have 1217.6 hrs on it and it gets the Royal Purple treatment also. I have had the fan belt replaced and I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter a few times. The serpentine belt on the Cummins has not been changed but is check regularly.

More on maintenance... My start batteries were replace last year and my house AGM's are scheduled to be replaced this year. They are 10 years old. I am going with Nissan Leaf batteries as it stands now.

Tires are Toyo and only a couple of years old.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 03-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Sam's Club pulled out of Washington state for some reason last year. It was odd.

I don't know how many states each is in, but for people who travel a lot to certain states it might be good to check which states Costco and Sam's Club is in.

Costco is doing well in Alaska, but last year - actually I think it was late 2018 - Sam's Club closed all its stores here. No reason was given.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Sam's Club stores have been under-performing, and getting turned into Walmart distribution centers where needed.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Fair questions.
I change oil at around 17 to 20K of use. Depending on my volunteer route, this could be up to 3 years between oil & filter changes. I use Blackstone Laboratories and send a sample in annually. I just changed my fuel and water separator filters at about 50K. This may be the first time for this coach. My air filter is to be changed ever 7 years according to Racor, the manufacture of the filter, unless the vacuum indicator says otherwise. That change has been done by me a few years ago. I get the chassis lubed about once a year. Many of the roads are rough and the suspension gets a workout. I exercise my generator once a month, under load, for up to an hour. I have 1217.6 hrs on it and it gets the Royal Purple treatment also. I have had the fan belt replaced and I have replaced the air filter and fuel filter a few times. The serpentine belt on the Cummins has not been changed but is check regularly.

More on maintenance... My start batteries were replace last year and my house AGM's are scheduled to be replaced this year. They are 10 years old. I am going with Nissan Leaf batteries as it stands now.

Tires are Toyo and only a couple of years old.
Happy trails.
Rick
wow. pretty cool. I used to change my oil every 3-5K but recently I read in the cummins manual that cummins is ok with you changing it every 20K. Naturally I would never let it go that long. LOL. I pretty much change it because I get bored and have nothing to do. LOL.
Oh wow, so the air filter only needs to be changed every 7 yrs? Good to know. Thanks. Yeah, I just changed my oil and thus the fuel filter too. The fuel filter is the easiest job to do. Gosh, doesn't it feel good when you do the work yourself and then realize you just Saved yourself $500? I mean once you get the hang of it, between changing the oil filter, fuel/water separator filter and fuel filter and oil, it's not even an Hr job. Most of the time is spent waiting for the oil to drain and putting 27-28 qts (6 and 1/2 gal) back in the engine. I mean I don't know of any Dr's that make $500 an hr.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #19
'12 I.Ellipse 450 ISL

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Costco is doing well in Alaska, but last year - actually I think it was late 2018 - Sam's Club closed all its stores here. No reason was given.
So I heard that, since wal-mart is focusing more on it's E-commerce/Internet business, it decided to close like 63 sam's clubs. Some will be converted to Internet commerce distribution points. You know, trying to keep up with Amazon.