Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 06:28 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I would get with the Blue Ox folks

They will pinpoint the problem and the fix.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I can't wait to see what the solution is....
sduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I tow with a 2017 Expedition and 2108DS

I have a 2017 Ford Expedition, with a tow package, short version and the 3.5L turbo with no 4x4. We have a 2019 2108DS. No issues when towing. We try and drive about 62mph. I can get it over 75 if needed to pass with no sway at all. I have passed going uphill with no issue other than gas milage goes down the faster you drive. It tows very nicely.

This is the largest camper we have towed but I have been towing lots of stuff for many years. At the dealer when we picked it up they set the WDH and we assumed they knew what they were doing. We were wrong. With a little research we went about doing it correctly. They had set the nose of the TT to low. After some research on the WDH my son and I parked the Expedition and the 2108 on a flat parking lot and balanced it correctly. By measuring the wheel wells and the trailer frame and adjusting the WDH. Now both the TT and the TV are level, and it makes a difference.

One other issue, the tow package also makes a difference. Heaver springs and shocks. We had a shock leak and had the rear shocks replaced and that made it even more stable. The rear tires need to be up to the job not just street tires. I would recommend beefing up your rear springs and stronger tires. Standard old school fixes for towing.
dpmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, good info. I am looking at stronger tires for my TV. Also curious what kind of tires do you have on your TV and TT?
Clemsonfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

We replaced our original ties with Carlisle Radial Trail HD. They get good reviews. On the Exp Cooper
Old 12-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

We use our Exp for towing and have a small car for everyday driving. When you have a tow package or heavy duty tires and airbags you give up your smooth car like every day ride.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Clemsonfan68,

As they say, “the devil is in the details” and I am also curious what tire size do you currently have? It appears that there are four factory tire sizes for your 2018 Expedition – 265/70-17, 275/65-18, 275/55-20, 285/45-22.

Dpmike, I was also wondering which tire size your 2017 Expedition with tow package came with?

As sduff pointed out that his brother had good luck with changing the dynamics of his F150 for the better by going with a tire with a larger aspect ratio. I was wondering if dpmike’s 2017 Expedition, with tow package, had a smaller wheel with tires with a higher aspect ratio than your low-profile tires?

If you were to change to a different wheel size, you could check the dealership or a wheel shop for Ford “take off” wheels that are smaller to try out.

Also keep in mind that your trailer is “lifted” with the 15-inch wheels with vehicle tires and unless dpmike got the Off-Road Package, he probably has a “non-lifted” trailer with 14-inch wheels and ST tires.

Just want to make sure that you are comparing “apples to apples” before you change tires.

Brian
Old 01-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I had my TT lifted soon after purchase. I felt it was too low for some of the off road camping we do. The dealer raised the axels and I purchase 15” wheels and tires – the tires: ST225/75 Carlisle Trail HD 8ply

Between the lifted axels and the 15” tires the camper went up about 4 1/2”. Which meant we had to relevel the WDH. We did this by measuring the trailer frame and the Expedition wheel wells to get both as level as possible.

The tires on my Expedition are not the original tires. The Coopers are replacements size: M+S 275/55R20

One other item, in 2018 Ford did a major redesign of the Expedition, as I understand it was major. It maybe a different rear supension. The tow package also offers a stonger rear end.

I hope this helps
Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Dpmike,

I think your information will be really helpful to the OP and addressed my curiosity.

On the Expedition forum I did notice that the OP has the first year of the latest fourth generation of Expeditions and that you have the previous generation. I forgot to mention it, so it is good that you did.

It appears that you are right that his Expedition has a different rear suspension. After a quick search I found – “The U553 will move to the all-new half-ton hydroformed T3 platform (chassis), which is a modified version of the half-ton platform underpinning the P552 2015 Ford F-150. The T3 platform will use a new four-wheel independent suspension system design.” U553 is the code name for the latest fourth generation Expedition.

The information you provided will be helpful if he still has an issue and needs to discuss with the Ford techs.

Brian
Old 01-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

all sorry for late response, had a busy few days. So latest updates, this past Saturday we picked up our TT from the dealer. We loaded more cargo in the basement (about 100lbs) to test theory we are not heavy enough at the tongue. Worked with their senior maintenance tech to recheck our Blue Ox TrackPro WDH. With our normal camping load both in the TT and TV, the TV front is only 1/4 higher.

We headed out for a 3+ hour trip only we did not take the interstate, instead drove US Hwy 411 the whole way. The TT towed fine, no wiggle. Of course speeds were slower (50-65 mph) and not near the traffic. I did pass slower vehicles a few times and got up to 67-70mph. Even then the TT was fine.

No sure if the extra weight in the front helped or was it just getting off the busy interstate? For now the TT is parked at my son's house and will be in place for two weeks. At some point I will take the TT to the dump station. After the tanks are empty, I will take it out on the Interstate to do another test.

One other thing, I did stop by our local Truck and Trailers, spoke with those guys. They could have tried to sell me a spring or sway bar kit but said I should not need it. One of the tech's said he has a similar problem with his GMC SUV. Thinks I needed to focus on tongue weight, he thinks I am to light.

RoadRunner, to answer your question I have the OEM 285/45-22 ties on my Expedition.

Again thanks for all the comments. I will update how it handles with added tongue weight and testing on the interstate, in a week or two. But for now looks like we will enjoy TN, NC, SC and GA off the interstate as much as possible.
Clemsonfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at this video

Old 01-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Better to go to one of the Expedition forum websites as it will undoubtedly have a towing section. There are likely hundreds of posts regarding this.

In the past the Expedition with its rear coil springs had a squirrely ride when towing and this led me to buy a Chevy Tahoe with its rear leaf springs instead. It is enough of a problem that there are SumoSprings kits for the Expedition though these devices usually only have a 2-year warranty. eTrailer is one reseller for these and other products.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford