Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Trailer

I purchased a new Aluma utility trailer, nothing fancy just a 2 wheel 6x10 and found that it is much lighter to move around than my old steel unit..so I was checking things out adding tie down fixtures etc . I decided to check the wheel bearings and found one side a bit loose and not much grease in the hub so no big deal..The usual set up I have always been used to have a cotter pin in the spindle acting as the keeper for the castle nut..Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find the cotter pin ...instead they are fitting a skinny washer with two little tabs sticking out making this a one time shot because when you stick a screwdriver in the slot ..chances are one or both of these tabs are liable to break off rendering the locking device useless..to add to the procedure I have yet to find any local stores selling that lockwasher...but It is on the web ..a 2 pack for $2.51!...Whatever happened to the cotter pin ..nail or piece of wire that would substitute if you broke down on the highway...I would like to discuss all the advantages when they discarded the cotter pin..I would have liked to be sitting at the board room table when some goofball suggested they ditch the pin...!! and don't tell me a hole in the spindle compromises the integrity of the design...LOL!!
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote