Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

flat towing and bike rack

I have a 2003 31' Minnie, I am just finishing the conversion of my old honda fit to be flat towed. I want to be able to tow the car and have a bike rack. Do you think that something like this would work so I can do both is there a better option.

https://smile.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I have used one of those for a few years and 30K+ miles. We use a Swagman bike rack that holds the tires rather than just hanging the bikes.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I have used one of those for a few years and 30K+ miles. We use a Swagman bike rack that holds the tires rather than just hanging the bikes.

Thanks, I was worried it was going to be obstructed by the 4" bumper channel. And is the hitch would hold up to towing. It sounds like it should work. I appreciate it.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

I would suggest a couple anti-rattle adapters. I have one on this as it mounts to the rv. I also found locking hitch pins that you key to the ignition key (you buy them specifically for the like this one. https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-7018448-...044909&sr=8-28
Old 12-05-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OK, slight problem. I am looking for advice. Since the vehicle I am flat towing is a Honda Fit, there is a 5" height difference from the hitch and the connection location on the car for the tow bar. From what I see the should be a maximum of a 4" difference so I need a drop hitch. These extension hitches seem to all be straight without a drop while adding the second connection for the bike rack. Do they make then with a drop? 5" is too much of a difference, right?
Old 12-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
OK, slight problem. I am looking for advice. Since the vehicle I am flat towing is a Honda Fit, there is a 5" height difference from the hitch and the connection location on the car for the tow bar. From what I see the should be a maximum of a 4" difference so I need a drop hitch. These extension hitches seem to all be straight without a drop while adding the second connection for the bike rack. Do they make then with a drop? 5" is too much of a difference, right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&psc=1&fpw=alm
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
WinnyJourney04

I have a 34’ JOURNEY DP with Ford Fusion on a tow dolly (Kar Kaddy)with Swagman on the Fusion trailer hitch. It works out fine. Everyone I know uses a Swagman on their car.
ashaffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #9
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Here is the receiver I use

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../RM-077-4.html

It has a 4 inch drop and is rated for 10,000lbs.

I have a tow dolly that I use so I also have an additional 10 inch drop hitch that goes into the 4inch drop receiver.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Just Trying to Help

Mashmaster-

I have to use a drop hitch. The towbar manufacturer specs say to stay within 3 inches of level. So, you need a drop hitch. I use the Quiet Hitch anti-rattle devices on the drop hitch and the towbar "stinger" that goes into the hitch.

Putting on a drop hitch means you have to be more careful going across gas station aprons and the like, so as to not smack the bottom of the towbar against the pavement. I use a roller under the drop hitch. It reduces clearance still further, but if it hits it rolls, and it acts as a sacrificial part to protect the towbar.

Once I had to install a drop hitch it was better to put a trailer hitch on the Fit and put the bike rack on that. That also means your toad carries the bikes, which- if you plan to use the bikes anywhere other than where you park the coach- is more useful than a coach-attached rack, anyway.

On a separate topic, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually includes the year, make and model of your coach, but can include other information. A signature is appended to each post. To create/edit a signature, click on the "User CP" link in the orange bar at the top, then click on "Edit Signature."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Swagman Rack

I have a Swagman rack similar to the Traveler XC2 except instead of a bumper bracket, it has a piece that slips over the tongue of the tow bar and has bolts that tighten it to the tongue. A riser that bends 90 degrees comes off the piece and then the main part of the bike rack mounts to the riser. It is simple, but a little hard to describe. It works great, but I was unable to find the same design on the Swagman website. I can only assume it has been discontinued, but is a great design. I would be happy to sell it, since I no longer carry the bikes when we travel.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Bikes

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	612.7 KB
ID:	176202Our option
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Here's your image rotated.

BTW, to keep an image in the correct orientation for uploading you can do one of two things:

1. Take the photo with the camera HORIZONTAL not vertical. Put the HOME Button on the right hand side and the volume controls on the bottom. Then the photo will load correctly every time.

2. If you've already taken the photo with your phone vertical then copy it to your computer and open the photo in a a photo editor and rotate it 90 degrees Clockwise and SAVE it. Then when you upload it the photo will be the correct orientation.

I corrected this photo for you using the #2 method above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	731.9 KB
ID:	176204  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

This was two weeks after replacing my flip phone with an I phone....thanks
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I built a rack of lights that attaches to the bike rack behind the bike and connected to the motorhome lights. This way the lights are not blocked by the bikes.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

There are racks that will fit on an RV hitch and also on a TOAD vehicle hitch as well so long as both have a 2" receivers. Can/t see any advantages to having the bike rack on the RV instead of on the toad.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:15 PM   #17
Site Team

For us, it is sometimes a hassle having the bike rack on the car when we are on an RV trip, because we can’t get to the cargo area easily. It’s also hard to use the rear view camera. When we know we won’t be using the bikes at the next destination on a multi-stop trip, we place the bikes on the RV. It works better for us. Since we have a 2 inch hitch on both vehicles, and a dual hitch on the RV, it makes switching easy.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing