Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Pearce, AZ to Minneapolis

We have traveled up the I-25 to Denver and then the I-35 North to Minneopolis a few times to visit our granddaughters.Now graduating from HS, in June.

We are adventurous and prefer US Highways vs Interstate routes. Anybody have any experience traveling 70 (US Hwy) to the 54 (US -Hwy) Alamogorda,NM thru Wichita, KS and then on to Jefferson City, MO and grabbing the 63 (US-Hwy) North to Rothester, MN?

TIA
Larry
xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have not driven US 63 out of Rochester but have driven US 52 numerous times. US 52 is a great highway and is 4 lane all the way to St. Paul.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
I have not driven US 63 out of Rochester but have driven US 52 numerous times. US 52 is a great highway and is 4 lane all the way to St. Paul.

Thank you...
Old 05-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I tend to stay away from the portion of 54 through the Lake of the Ozarks to get to Jeff City if it is summer. Better than it used to be but still something of a drag.
I might consider turning North on 65 to get further North before turning back East if 63 appeals to you?
The north end of the Ozarkscan have more curves and some smallish hills but nothing like the Rockies to scare anybody. Both 63 and 65 have good and bad as well as many small towns along the way but that can be far better than beating down the interstate.

Both routes will take you near some lake areas but the big difference is that you avoid the drinking/party Lake of the Ozarks to go by the more "fishing folks" lake? Missouri lake areas in the summer tend to be a bit slow going.

No BIG problems either route, just my thoughts....
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have taken US 70 from Globe, AZ to Clovis, NM. Part of it is also I-10 between Lordsburg and Las Cruces. Good, mostly two-lane highway. The only real grade on it is San Augustin Pass just east of Las Cruces, but most of that is 3-4 lanes. That part takes you right past White Sands NM. When you get on US 54 at Alamogordo, you go right past the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site (has a couple of free electric hookups in a small cg) and the Valley of Fires NRA, which also has a cg.. I've taken US 54 between Alamogordo an Liberal, KS, and a few short stretches of it between Liberal and I-35. It's also a good, two-lane highway in some pretty desolate rural areas. It goes right through the heart of the 1930's Dust Bowl and there is even a Dust Bowl Museum in Guymon, OK. So expect the western part of US 54 to be hot, dry, windy, and dusty.

Finally, if you want to avoid the Kansas Turnpike tolls and the Kansas City traffic congestion, you can get on I-135 at Wichita and head north all the way to I-80. When I-135 ends at Salina, US 81 continues north as a four-lane, generally divided, and often controlled-access highway all the way to York, NE. We have used US 81 several times with our RVs, including a trip last September in the motorhome. It is an easy N-S route that avoids all big cities, so it's great for making good time without excessive traffic or 80 mph speed limits. We drive 65 in the motorhome to conserve diesel fuel, so we prefer 81 over either I-70 or I-80.

A big plus to this route, besides the lack of hills, is the number of towns in rural KS and NE that have free or low-cost city or county campgrounds, usually with some hookups and great shade. The ones in city parks may even have river views, fishing ponds, swimming pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, ball fields, and golf courses. You can find most of them on Campendium.

PS: If you use US 81 to I-80, you can take the I-680 loop around Omaha to avoid downtown traffic and the Omaha-Council Bluffs bridge across the MIssouri on your way to Des Moines and I-35. We are all about taking routes that avoid big-city traffic when we are driving or towing (before MH!) our RVs.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanrgs View Post
I have taken US 70 from Globe, AZ to Clovis, NM. Part of it is also I-10 between Lordsburg and Las Cruces. Good, mostly two-lane highway. The only real grade on it is San Augustin Pass just east of Las Cruces, but most of that is 3-4 lanes. That part takes you right past White Sands NM. When you get on US 54 at Alamogordo, you go right past the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site (has a couple of free electric hookups in a small cg) and the Valley of Fires NRA, which also has a cg.. I've taken US 54 between Alamogordo an Liberal, KS, and a few short stretches of it between Liberal and I-35. It's also a good, two-lane highway in some pretty desolate rural areas. It goes right through the heart of the 1930's Dust Bowl and there is even a Dust Bowl Museum in Guymon, OK. So expect the western part of US 54 to be hot, dry, windy, and dusty.

Finally, if you want to avoid the Kansas Turnpike tolls and the Kansas City traffic congestion, you can get on I-135 at Wichita and head north all the way to I-80. When I-135 ends at Salina, US 81 continues north as a four-lane, generally divided, and often controlled-access highway all the way to York, NE. We have used US 81 several times with our RVs, including a trip last September in the motorhome. It is an easy N-S route that avoids all big cities, so it's great for making good time without excessive traffic or 80 mph speed limits. We drive 65 in the motorhome to conserve diesel fuel, so we prefer 81 over either I-70 or I-80.

A big plus to this route, besides the lack of hills, is the number of towns in rural KS and NE that have free or low-cost city or county campgrounds, usually with some hookups and great shade. The ones in city parks may even have river views, fishing ponds, swimming pools, tennis courts, playgrounds, ball fields, and golf courses. You can find most of them on Campendium.

PS: If you use US 81 to I-80, you can take the I-680 loop around Omaha to avoid downtown traffic and the Omaha-Council Bluffs bridge across the MIssouri on your way to Des Moines and I-35. We are all about taking routes that avoid big-city traffic when we are driving or towing (before MH!) our RVs.
That’s great route info. We also like to avoid big city traffic. We have never used Campendium. We will check that out. And avoiding tolls is a must for us. Thank you so much. We appreciate it.