Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Heading West

Leaving Florida tomorrow to Cal. Plan on taking I10....again! Anybody with recent updates on the never ending construction in La. and east Texas?
Also planning to take the "bypass" around El Paso for the first time. Understand it goes over some mountains, but I10 through the city can be a pain. Westward Ho!
Gigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
New to this....

Yip, I 10 is horrible. Lost hours due to construction. Very bumpy, pot holes roads. Feels like your on the ocean. Lock everything down inside.

Yet, on the way out we took 49 north attempting to visit family member, which were not able to meet with due to 2 hours lost in LA.

On the way back just getting out of Texas into LA we again sat for an hour and half due to construction.

Most of Texas was fine coming back, just tight lanes due to barriers.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
2022 Winnebago 2301BHS, w/ Victron Solar System
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We try to avoid the I10 as it will be torn up for as far as we can see and likely get worse as the coast comes closer and storms bigger.
They are working in a losing effort to save the highway by building it up higher in the low areas and that takes much longer than just a simple repaving, so the work is slower and I'm not at all sure it is moving as fast as the underlying ground is getting wetter!

If you look at the low lying bridge that runs for miles along the water East of Mobile and see how much land has gone under, it really hits home how much the highway will have to be lifted or moved away from the coast.
Our last trip we stayed at Meaher State Park, which used to be a big favorite for us, but we were amazed at how much the water is now up. They have lost a fair amount of the park and they are moving/ changing the entrance from what we used to know as that highway is getting less and less practical to keep open.
Scary to look at the Googlemaps and compare to what is actually open in the park.

Farther West, we found getting through Lafayette, La was a trek due to construction but that will be a pretty "forever" project, too. Once we get past Houston, we have never considered El Paso as being any problem!

We did meet a 16 foot ladder that fell off a truck and was standing upright in the space betwen the lanes as we went whizzing past. That was a major thrill to get by and a real surprise to somebody behind us several cars as they fully blew it up!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Team

We travel west through El Paso at least twice a year.

The BIG construction project is completed but there are always a few little side projects going on. But when we went through last Feb none were disrupting traffic.

The lanes are narrow and traffic through town is pretty constant, but we've done the bypass (both East and West) and it adds a lot of miles plus one mountain pass and frankly didn't really save time or lesson the hassle. So, we don't take the bypass any more. Now, when they finish the southern part of the Loop that may be a good option.

Going west, the Northern part of the loop goes way north of the city before crossing over and taking you up the steep mountain road, past the State Park and down the steep pass to rejoin I-10 near Anthony, TX. When the southern loop is completed you'll go south of I-10 only a short way... because Mexico is just South of 1-10 a few miles away. Plus no mountains there.

I don't know how far along the southern loop is away from completion but the map shows it's making good progress.

Part of the Loop is a Toll-Road - I'm not sure what part or what the cost is. I don't know if the TxTag transponder works for it, but I'd assume that it does.

Here's a map of the complete loop. You can see that the Northern Loop goes WAY north. The Southern loops goes quite a way south but not as far. And you can see the part that is not completed yet. I have seen posts from others that the uncompleted part of the Loop is not a bad RV road, but I have no direct experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.22.11 AM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	183055  
Old 06-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've been seeing folks asking about getting through El Paso and it has always been aquestion for me. What is there that is different there than most places with lots of traffic?

I just checked Google maps and their routing has always been to stay on the interstate and never suggested any bypass for any of our trips.

Yes, traffic is a pain but where can we go and not find traffic? If it is just the time it takes, we probably should not be in an RV as we are not going to be fast movers at best.

Bypassing El Paso to get to Southern Ca, seems to be stepping out of the frying pan to get to the fire?? What do you plan for bigger places like Phoenix or most any place in California? Just getting North/South in Florida seems much worse.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Took 49 to Shreveport
...going to take I40 across.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigman View Post
Took 49 to Shreveport
Sounds like a good plan! I did not mean to say the traffic and road construction is much different in any route as it seems to be there most any place we"ve gone.
When we go West, it is often to spend a week or more in the LA / Long Beach area and when we spend that much time there, the El Paso discussion is just not on my map!
I think we all have the idea that where we live, the traffic is bad and we know what to expect but if we go outside our comfort zone, we just want to avoid the whole thing!

I get a giggle out of the folks locally who complain about running North/South through Austin on I 35 as they think it is the worst in the country!

They never seem to ask why the state has never bothered to build a real alternate route .
There's a bypass for the "big cities" like Elgin and Taylor but not a workable one to bypass Austin!
Old 06-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
New to this....

Quote:
Took 49 to Shreveport
Just watch for pot holes on 40. Iirc if you stay left in the lane you’ll miss most. Awesome views as you hit west Texas into Nm.
Time zone changes suck as you cut into Az. But we went to Ut first so it changed a lot on that drive
Old 06-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Short trip today..stopped in Wichita Falls. Took 69 & 82..great looking country...northern hill country..still green.
Beautiful small towns and some decent diesel prices.
Off to N.M. tomorrow.
Thanks for all the tips.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #10
New to this....

We stayed in WFas well.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 w/ 4:10 Gear Ratio 2.5" Receiver. Z82 Package.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #11
New to this....

Where ya going to?
Old 06-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We live in Deming, NM now and can vouch that I-10 from Las Cruces to Lordsburg is in very good condition. Truck traffic is pretty heavy at times but if you can run with the big dogs that shouldn't be a problem.

There is a Customs and Border Patrol inspection station at about NM mile 121. They seldom actually stop anyone, just a slowdown for a quick visual check.

If the weather is very windy, watch for low visibility roughly 20 - 30 miles on either side of Deming. Lots of farming in this area and the wind can and does kick up a LOT of dust.

If you're into overnighting at WalMart, the one in Deming welcomes RVers and big rigs.

Temps are already hitting 100 here. Be sure your A/C is working well!
Old 06-05-2022, 06:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Destination is northern Cal. Been playing tag with a RV going to Washington...so I'll beat him home.
Going to miss the diesel prices we have here.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You are definitely going to miss TX diesel prices. The RVTravel newsletter today had a photo of a sign at a Chevron station in SoCal with a diesel price of more than $9.00/gallon. And I thought the $5.19/gallon I paid for diesel last week here in Denver was bad!
Old 06-05-2022, 08:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Strong west wind made for slower going today.Just west of Albuquerque,..stop for today.
I40 patched up better than last year.
Diesel around $5.60/gal...only going to get higher as we go west.
The 2529RG is working out well...wife loves it so it's a winner.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Also planning to take the "bypass" around El Paso for the first time. Understand it goes over some mountains, but I10 through the city can be a pain. Westward Ho!
We've taken the bypass several times with no problem. Yes, there is a big mountain, and yes, it is a long way up and again a long way down. We just take our time and enjoy the view. Just remember to descend in the same gear you climbed in.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

3000 miles, safe and sound and glad to be at home. Did have 2 occasions for repairs. West of Albuquerque, a motorist pulled alongside of us and said we had a wheel (right rear) that was smoking. Luckily found an RV repair shop..found that the axle was lacking enough grease. I had them adjust and grease all 4 wheels and we're on our way.
Left Seligmam, Az the next morning. Stopped for fuel in Kingman, checked the wheels to find the right front tire was hot. After 3 shops found one to work on trailer. Problem was a broken brake return spring that was allowing the brakes to engage on and off.
Without parts the tech removed the shoes repacked the bearings and off again.
The trailer still has 2 months of warranty, but I can't find s shop that will give me a service appointment.
Winnebago has 2 places that they recommend, I called the closest, and they said they are only servicing units that they have sold.
So we have a 3 legged trailer, which we are scheduled to go to Lake Tahoe in 3 weeks.
Frustrating..fairly simple fix..but I now am curious about the other wheels and brakes.
Backed off on the brake controller and made it down some steep grades with not much excitement.
Overall good trip...safe and sound.