Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Best Concan, Texas area or other recommended Texas RV Parks

All,
Looking for your recommendations for an RV park in the Concan, Texas area (Leakey, Frio River) or other unknown Texas gem you may have experienced. Trying to plan a week trip and stay in Texas, riverfront spot for 40’ Journey would be preferred. State parks appear to be booked. Please share your favorite spot. We are newbies and want to get your advice on a beautiful spot. It’s just my husband and I and 2 Border Collies. We can entertain ourselves but fishing and water view would be nice. Thanks for your help! Rosharon 2010 Winnebago Journey 40’
Rosharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, that's some rural Texas right there. Garner State Park is number one around there.

Here's a suggestion for a different area north of there... Junction, TX. South Llano River State Park is fabulous. I's a smaller park and the South Llano River runs through it. We love that SP.

There are tons of campgrounds around Garner SP.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/L...7356042,12.65z

One thing you can always look forward too on the Frio - cold, green water.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here's a suggestion for a different area north of there... Junction, TX. South Llano River State Park is fabulous. I's a smaller park and the South Llano River runs through it. We love that SP.
Apparently it is a pretty popular park.

We plan to take a trip to the Gulf sometime in August an wanted to drive through San Antonio on a Saturday or Sunday so we would not have so much traffic to fight. We do this pretty much every year and normally we stay at S Llano River SP the night before San Antonio since it is a great park and San Antonio is an easy drive from the park, but even though we planned 2 weeks ahead the park is already full on the weekend.

You will probably need reservations. We used to just stop at the park and there were always open spaces, but perhaps the virus has changed that as well.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Team

For years the park has been super easy to get into on weekdays, and tough on Friday nights mostly. But during Covid-19 it's been pretty full during the week and I think they are trying to reduce the number of spots available to reserve.

We're going to Goliad State Park for the week, leaving this Monday. I booked it 3-weeks ago and was lucky to get my favorite campsite. At that time it was fairly full which is unusual for mid-week late July.

Mike, I suggest you try Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville. It's right off of 1-10 about 60 miles West of San Antonio. It's a private park and it's popular because it's one of the best RV parks in Texas. It's not "state park" like, but it's nice.

Here's a link to Buckhorn: https://www.buckhornlake.com/

And, nice RV park on your way - well, a bit off from I-10 near Center Point, south of Kerrville - is Old River Road RV Resort. It's a pretty new private CG with great reviews.

Here's a link: https://www.oldriverroadrvresort.com/

If I wasn't so hot in August, I'd suggest the Free dry camping in Junction at the City Park next to the river in town.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
For years the park has been super easy to get into on weekdays, and tough on Friday nights mostly. But during Covid-19 it's been pretty full during the week and I think they are trying to reduce the number of spots available to reserve.

We're going to Goliad State Park for the week, leaving this Monday. I booked it 3-weeks ago and was lucky to get my favorite campsite. At that time it was fairly full which is unusual for mid-week late July.

Mike, I suggest you try Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville. It's right off of 1-10 about 60 miles West of San Antonio. It's a private park and it's popular because it's one of the best RV parks in Texas. It's not "state park" like, but it's nice.

Here's a link to Buckhorn: https://www.buckhornlake.com/

And, nice RV park on your way - well, a bit off from I-10 near Center Point, south of Kerrville - is Old River Road RV Resort. It's a pretty new private CG with great reviews.

Here's a link: https://www.oldriverroadrvresort.com/

If I wasn't so hot in August, I'd suggest the Free dry camping in Junction at the City Park next to the river in town.
Thank you for the suggestions.

We travel to South Padre Island once a year, usually early September, and sometimes to San Antonio in the Winter, and the trip used to be easy to figure out. We would leave the Phoenix area and stop in southern New Mexico, then at Balmorhea State Park, then at South Llano River State Park and then somewhere around Corpus Christi if we were going on to SPI. We liked all of those stops but now all of the state parks in New Mexico are closed for camping, Balmorhea SP has been closed for camping for several years now and it is more difficult to get into South Llano River SP so the trip has been more difficult to figure out. We have been using an RV park at Fort Stockton instead of Balmorhea but I have not really cared for the commercial parks in Junction so your recommendations are very welcome.

We generally boondock on our trips but since it is so hot in August and early September and since southern New Mexico, the Texas panhandle, the Junction and Corpus Christi areas provide no dependable air movement we make this trip stopping only at places that have hookups. The parks you suggested look very nice and I assume they have electricity so we will be able to use the AC.

Thanks again.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, all!

Thank you all for your replies. We ended up booking at Parkview River Resort RV Park right on the Frio across the street from Garner State Park, which is booked. Most of the Texas stare parks are booked due to the coronavirus. We will check out the Llano park as well. We are newbies so we really appreciate the recommendations. Best to you all, Rosharon
Rosharon is offline   Reply With Quote