Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2024, 08:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing my 2000 Winn Journey.

I have a place on the passenger side of my Journey. It is a locked. When I open it, it says Water on it. Cannot find a reference to it in my manual. It appears to be where you fill the fresh water tank but I am not sure. If it is can I pour my antifreeze into it and pump the antifreeze thru my water pipes. I will include two pictures in my attachments if possible. If not go to my Gallery, Rodger, and they are posted there. It is going to be 24 degrees here so I need to get this done. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240116_094430.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	188218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240116_094407.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	188219  

Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

That is the hose receptacle for the fresh water tank. You would need to pour several gallons in there to circulate through the entire system.

What we do is drain the lines with gravity and then use a fitting to blow air through the system until all the faucets run nothing but air through them.

You can get a fitting that goes into the hose inlet in your wet bay that adapts to an air hose.

Then pour anti freeze into all the drains so the traps are full of it.

We've done this for years and never a problem plus we do not have that awful taste that anti freeze leaves in the lines.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

That is to add water to your fresh water tank, I would not put RV antifreeze into that tank because it will be difficult to remove the unpleasant taste when you begin camping again.
Your MH should have a winterizing hose attached to the plumbing just prior to the onboard water pump, or, many Winnebagos of our era have a Swan winterizing system installed. If your MH has this system, there will be a 1.5G opaque plastic tank near the water pump and 2 12 switches inside marked "bypass" and "winterize".
If your MH has this hose or a capped connection for a hose to screw on, this is where you insert the hose into a Gallon jug of RV antifreeze and pump it through the system.AFTER turning the water heater bypass valves the proper direction.
If you have the Swan winterizing system, fill the plastic tank with RV Antifreeze, turn on the switches for bypass and winterize and pump through the plumbing system.
The Swan electric valves are known for sticking from non-use, so first, slowly flip the switches several times to get them working properly, you should be able to hear them click with the switch motion.
Then just follow the winterizing instructions in the owners manual. .
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I called the people I bought it from and he walked me thru using the manual way. I have antifreeze in my lines but no where else. Still need to put some in the sink traps and toilet. Thanks for the answers to this question. Am new to RVing after 22 years in the military.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Given that you are new, I would start with the winnebago manuals that are available here:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams

I have found them very helpful for troubleshooting electrical and plumbing issues as well as general questions.

You may also find this link valuable: https://dealer.winnebagoind.com/unitsearch/parts.htm
It allows you to pull up info on your specific coach.

Finally, I recommend that you take lots of pictures and store them somewhere you can get to them while traveling as well as at home. I also take pictures of all model and serial numbers of each system and then download any related information.

Good luck.
-Brian

Tags
journey, winter