Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone! We've been getting the bug to go out in our motorhome with the crazy weather we've been having here--very warm for Feb.!

I'm a little timid about taking the rig out though because of the salt on the roads.We did go out for Thanksgiving and while we were camping we saw the damage that salt can do to a rig--our good friends rig is rusted (not positive this is due to salt). What are some opinions about taking the rig out on salty roads?

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi everyone! We've been getting the bug to go out in our motorhome with the crazy weather we've been having here--very warm for Feb.!

I'm a little timid about taking the rig out though because of the salt on the roads.We did go out for Thanksgiving and while we were camping we saw the damage that salt can do to a rig--our good friends rig is rusted (not positive this is due to salt). What are some opinions about taking the rig out on salty roads?

Old 02-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

We take ours out all the time in the snow....Just make sure you wash the undercarriage when you arrive back home....

We live near Pikes Peak in Colorado....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi Bob;
A friend of mine is an avid snowmobiler. He bought a class A motorhome to pull his double snowmobile trailer and have a place to stay at the end of long day riding. He used it for 6 years straight before he noticed the damage that was caused by the salt.
Two years ago I helped him replace the metal straps that held, or used to hold, the holding tanks. It was a small miracle he didn't loose the tanks going down the road. I was taken back at the amount of rust under his rig. He had to loose at least half the value of the rig by the damage that was caused.
Bob...I can't be convinced that these rigs are made to withstand the harshness of road salt. You probably know how the salt seems to get in all the nooks and crannies.
After a trip on salt covered roads, there will be times when it just won't be convinient for an undercarriage wash. You can just imagine how fun it has to be to get out a semi frozen hose, crawl around on hands and knees, spraying the undercarriage down in below freezing weather! Then the question arises...did I get a good rinse in all those nooks and crannies?
Bob, for the amount one has to pay for these rigs, I personally don't think it's worth the risk of the damage that will be done.
Living up here just north of Detroit, (Salt City USA) this is just my humble opinion. My rig stays parked all winter.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I won't drive on salty roads OR park within 50 miles of the ocean.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would never take mine out in the snow! I have no reason to do so! It's not just the salt it's the ice melt chems that play havoic on the undercarrage! I've seen to many RV's that where used in the winter and believe me they look it
NO way! Josse'
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
I won't drive on salty roads OR park within 50 miles of the ocean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FIFTY miles? Really?

I live probably ten miles from the ocean and there's a lot of neighborhoods between us and the ocean....That's a long way isn't it Donovan?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flintstones ...After a trip on salt covered roads, there will be times when it just won't be convinient for an undercarriage wash. You can just imagine how fun it has to be to get out a semi frozen hose, crawl around on hands and knees, spraying the undercarriage down in below freezing weather!... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my teenage years, I used to have a little Volkswagon squareback (station wagon). At the time, I lived on the East coast of FL. I would put that volkswagon in all kinds of places. Down the roads that ran thru the mangroves (high tide left saltwater puddles in the muck), down the beach roads and down the mud flats at low tide in the Indian River (tidal river). I would put a water sprinkler out in the yard (turned on full blast) and drive the VW over the sprinkler really slow and the back up and do it again. The VW had a "plate" that ran under the car for most of the underside that kept alot of stuff from damaging it, but the VW dealership had the plate off more than once and I always looked for underbody rust while they had it up on the lift.

You could do what they did on our Eagle bus... there is a belly pan that runs from the front to the rear engine.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Donavan, I really like most of your posts and answers however 50 miles is a long way from salt water...
There are many many dealers who are not 50 miles from the ocean and lots and lots of folks who live and park their RVs closer than that.
They all can't have salt damage. If you parked by the ocean and let your coach sit for 10 years you probably would see damage. Who does that? Besides, you are not seeing some of the most beautiful parts of the USA.
I do agree about the salt on the highways and a pain to rinse the coaches underside in the winter.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:49 AM   #10

Why don't you get your RV undercoated?
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I haven't had much luck with undercoating. You need a near perfect job before it hits the road from the factory and after the box company welds brackets onto the frame.

I wish I had a scientific response for the 50 mile rule but it's based on about 5 old f@arts talking at an RV park in San Antonio, TX and then ignoring their advice and parking out on Padre Island
east of Corpus Cristi TX. The ocean breeze and the location was beautiful but when I go home, I discovered the salt was everywhere inside and out. Much worse than just driving through a stretch of salted roads.

I'm sure the 50 mile thing is overkill and I would like to hear what the real distance should be.
I know salt in the ocean wind will fall away because it's heavy but ?? . Anybody know??

Do those of you living near the ocean notice any accelerated corrosion?

Thanks for starting this thread Bob RV.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still undecided as to what to do . It definatly would be a pain to get underneath and spray it down. Something for me to dwell on!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do those of you living near the ocean notice any accelerated corrosion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived on the east coast of FL for 44 years, my observations were that after you get a couple miles inland, the rust and corrosion issue diminishes dramatically. I'm not saying it's entirely a non-issue at that distance, just that it's so minimal it's usually not a major issue.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Richard....been here in Virginia Beach all but seven years of my life and have a pretty good idea of the effects of corrosion.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Live on a saltwater creek off Chesapeake Bay and I don't see salt on anything. When visiting Myrtle Beach, there is some salt yet a good washing takes care of it. Warm weather of course.
Still don't think I like road salt and chemicals when I can't wash it over and under.
Safe miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I live on Long Island N.Y. 1 mile from the ocean. In my 48 years of driving I only owned one vehicle that was rusted because of salt and that was 72 Ford and all Fords at that time had a reputation for body rot.
A motor home shouldn't be any different from any other vehicle. You wouldn't give a second thought to travling in the winter with your car or truck so why not your motor home.
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #17

There are a ton of RVers here in Colorado....I see a ton of them on the Snowy roads.....Wash the undercarriage when you get home, and no problems....I have owned 3 motorhomes, and no problems with rust....You go by any of the ski resorts, and parking lots are FULL of motorhomes....We drive our cars on this stuff...no difference than using our motorhomes....

Or you can park it at home for 6 months...pay payments on it....
Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
I haven't had much luck with undercoating. You need a near perfect job before it hits the road from the factory and after the box company welds brackets onto the frame.

I wish I had a scientific response for the 50 mile rule but it's based on about 5 old f@arts talking at an RV park in San Antonio, TX and then ignoring their advice and parking out on Padre Island
east of Corpus Cristi TX. The ocean breeze and the location was beautiful but when I go home, I discovered the salt was everywhere inside and out. Much worse than just driving through a stretch of salted roads.

I'm sure the 50 mile thing is overkill and I would like to hear what the real distance should be.
I know salt in the ocean wind will fall away because it's heavy but ?? . Anybody know??

Do those of you living near the ocean notice any accelerated corrosion?

Thanks for starting this thread Bob RV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there is a difference with living near the ocean with salty air than driving occasionally on snow roads (which is what the original post is about)

I do believe that living in Corpus Cristy is different than going to the ski resort, and washing your undercarriage when you get home....
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

I will let you know what salt from the roads does as we just returned from a Fl. trip up 95 and 77 in the worst mess I have seen in years yesterday. You name it and we went thru it. Ice, sleet, rain, salt and snow. Even saw a bear in the median strip snacking on something? No kidding a BEAR cub. When we arrived home last night it was 6 degrees. My 99 DP Adventurer is one big ice and salt mess right now. Can't wash it as it only got up to 18 degrees today. Hope to wash it Tuesday as temps are going to 42. For what it is worth, it did just perfect as always. Handle and ran like a dream. Got 12MPG both ways. Can't beat that!
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Living in a place where they used to pour tons of salt on the road (not anymore, bad for the environmenet and they use a mix of other thing), I will pass an advice from numerous mechanics and body shop.

Salt under a vehicle is not a problem as long as it stays below freezing point.

The worse you can do to a vehicle in our region is to park it at night in a HEATED garage. That heat will cause the snow to melt and activate the powdery salt residue.

Basically, leave it alone in the winter and on a nice day, if it is warm enough, clean throughly the undercarriage.

And yes undercoating will help a bit.

Lots of snowbirds leave here in the snow and slush and salt and we do not hear any major complaints about rust on their vehicles and they have been doing it for years.

Here is my 2 bits.