Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Repaired broken fuse block

I epoxied my fuse block which had broken at all the mounting points. Obviously someone had put a little too much force on it either attempting to reinstall a fuse or that stupid black cover. I used J-B Weld Plstic Bonder which worked great. I let it cure for an hour before I drilled new holes for the three screws. I also wrapped black Gorilla Tape around the back and secured it to the metal frame for added support. I removed the driver’s side captain’s chair to make room to work. If you ever have the occasion to remove it you need to know the nuts will fall to the ground (hopefully). I had to search for one as it fell on top of a wire harness!
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
Amongst what seems like the many "thousand" things I've done to this coach, today I pulled the rear slide topper retraction mechanism for the bedroom slide because it's been making a noise, each and every time we extend and retract that slide. And, it only travels about 12"-15" or so. So, I disassembled it, all the way down. And, what I found, was NOTHING! Hmmm. I looked and looked and looked, at what appeared to be a very simple mechanism. I could find no fault with it. Nothing was broken, chipped, or appeared to be malfunctioning in any way, shape or form.

So, I reassembled it and re-installed it. My only thought on this is, the spring inside it, is just like a coiled garage door spring. It twists as the barrel roles, as the slide is extending. And, since there's no real support for that 3' long spring as it's coiling, I figure it's just twisting and bouncing around inside that barrel and, that's what's causing the repetishish noise.

For you plumbers, it would be like a snake, bouncing around in the drain pipe that you're trying to unclog. As stated, it's a simple mechanism.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	171081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	171082  

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	171083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	171084  

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	171085  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

Perhaps using some kind of spay lubricant on the spring before reassembly might decrease or eliminate the noise.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Are you saying that there's nothing holding the two ends of the spring? If so, that doesn't make sense. Otherwise there's no purpose in having the spring if it simply spins around and never tightens.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
Amongst what seems like the many "thousand" things I've done to this coach, today I pulled the rear slide topper retraction mechanism for the bedroom slide because it's been making a noise, each and every time we extend and retract that slide. And, it only travels about 12"-15" or so. So, I disassembled it, all the way down. And, what I found, was NOTHING! Hmmm. I looked and looked and looked, at what appeared to be a very simple mechanism. I could find no fault with it. Nothing was broken, chipped, or appeared to be malfunctioning in any way, shape or form.

So, I reassembled it and re-installed it. My only thought on this is, the spring inside it, is just like a coiled garage door spring. It twists as the barrel roles, as the slide is extending. And, since there's no real support for that 3' long spring as it's coiling, I figure it's just twisting and bouncing around inside that barrel and, that's what's causing the repetishish noise.

For you plumbers, it would be like a snake, bouncing around in the drain pipe that you're trying to unclog. As stated, it's a simple mechanism.
Scott

My main awning was doing the same thing, and also became very hard to deploy. I took it to Sam's, a local RV shop. Sam pulled the springs on both ends. He showed me where the springs get roughened between coils over time due to wear and corrosion, which causes noise and resistance. The rear spring had to be replaced, but the front one got by on lubrication.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

bitt the bullet

I went and did it i added sumo springs front and rear new shocks and a safe t steer. What a difference the first leg of the trip was to be about 300 miles or about 6 hr I drove about 400 miles the first night not tired and not over worked. The guys at the shop did a great job Bill Brown Fleet in Livonia Michigan. It was cold when we left 13 below. Very little push from the big rigs. Now if I could only get my copilot to try that might be something for the summer.
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We had a cold front blow through so took the opportunity to run the heater for the first time since changing the circuit board. It ran great and cycled properly. Also took the coach out for a drive to the Cracker Barrel in Vero for lunch.
Decided to do some organizing and made a couple of storage pockets for maps and magazines.
Team Foxy,
I can’t quite tell, it looks like you sewed those storage pockets. Is that so? If so, that’s nice sewing. I dabble in commercial sewing myself. Great idea!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:13 AM   #48
Itasca owner

I added a new TV to my Itasca this week

I got tired of the old CRT and saw a sale on a 32" Insignia at Best Buy. With a little help we removed the old unit, I was able to screw a piece of plywood to the original framework, played around till I got it centered and tilted properly, then mounted into the original framework. I really didn't want to have one stuck to the outside of the frame like they do nowadays. I like the original wood frame and didn't have to alter it at all. The top filler piece is some vinyl flooring leftover from my kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-02-14 13.53.34.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	171096   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-14 13.53.41.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	171097  

Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Nice job. I pulled the old tube TV out of my Sightseer a long time ago, but have'nt decided exactly how I was going to mount the flat screen. Thanks.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 AM   #50

Just finished replacing all three of the cheap ceiling fans in my new Vista 29VE with MaxxFan Deluxe fans. Took about 2.5 hours on the first one and only 2 hours on each of the other two.

Started building a black water flush system for the rig since it doesn't come with it. I've drilled the tank and installed the valve. Now I just need to connect the hose and find the easiest route to the water bay where I can mount the input connector. Looking forward to having the flushing system again.
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Jeeper what brand of theater seating did you use? I am planning on doing this in the spring.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #52
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Team Foxy,
I can’t quite tell, it looks like you sewed those storage pockets. Is that so? If so, that’s nice sewing. I dabble in commercial sewing myself. Great idea!
Scott
Nancy made them. She had a marine canvas business for about 15 years before we retired. We still have the Pfaff 1245 which is great for any kind of canvas or upholstery projects.
The latest project was to move the spare tire from under the rear of the motorhome and move it to the front bumper. It is much easier to get at it and we were pushing the rear axle weight limit before the move. Nancy made the tire cover from some Top Gun left overs we had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tirecover.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	171098  
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #53
Itasca owner

Rebuilt my Thetford toilet today

This model Style Plus is the best toilet I've had in an RV in all my previous units. While cleaning it I saw water leaking from the back, found it was from the water valve itself, not from any fitting. The repair kit is available in several places but I got it from Amazon for about $32, includes a new flange gasket. Pretty easy to replace but you do have to remove the toilet to do it. Much easier than replacing a home WC and much cleaner. The kit is all the plastic parts in the right photo.

Another note, our Itasca did not come equipped with the spray hose, which is very handy to help clean the bowl. You can add one very easily while replacing the valve, there is a small nipple in back, just snip off the end and put a standard kitchen spray hose on it. I have a small bracket on the wall that I hook the hose to when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190222_144729[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	171186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190222_144748[1].jpg
Views:	132
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	171187  

Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Sliding Pantry Shelves

Finished installing the Rev-A-Shelf sliding pantry shelves. Looks like 6.5” was the absolute perfect size. Found them on Amazon, of course.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4C689014-3E19-41F9-AFC2-74C850A6E55D.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	171253  
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Shortened the MB seat adjuster

Shortened the MB seat adjuster by about 2 inches and its constantly gnawing at the back of my legs is gone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	171378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	171379  

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	171380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	171381  

dranoeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Went to our Winnie in winter storage to do the monthly generator run and battery charge. During the run I shoveled about a foot of snow from around the rig. My logic is that will make it a little easier to get it out come springtime. Only about 2 1/2 feet between the rigs so I had to move the same snow 2 - 3 times to get it all out front and out of the way. Next time I'm going to take my Toro Power Shovel to make the chore easier! Had intended to clean off the roof too but that will have to wait until next time. Hopefully by then the wind will have blown most of it away!
Not to brag but my Adventurer is still snug indoors at the County Fairgrounds out of the weather. With rat poison under the rigs. Never had a problem, other than the year that they tried to put the Damon I had at the time into a barn with a lower ceiling. Not near as tall as the Adventurer. Took out an 8 foot fluorescent fixture. Costs me less than $350 a year, and I don't even live in the same county, Winnie Gets out this saturday.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I've got a truck shop like that, two of the "& Sons" own RVs. Quicker, better and less expensive than a dealer or CW.
Neighbor, down the street retired service center mechanic and a continuing farmer. I buy parts he installs It is a great relationship.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #58
Easy Goer

Upgrading cabinet handles to ones that don’t slice your fingers.
Try to find a spot for a paper towel holder and install one.
Doxiedog4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Howdy,

Since we had to return early from the southwest this year, end of February, I figured might as well get a few things done. Not in one day though…

• Upgraded to a china toilet with hand held sprayer and slow-close seat.
• Repaired 2 MCD blinds that weren’t working. Many thanks to MCD for the parts.
• Oil change & lube.
• Battery service, clean and coat terminals with CRC battery spray.
• Lube exterior hinges and locks.
• Upgraded headlights to LED, adjusted properly, huge improvement.
• Removed gray tank sensors and reinstalled with two layers of 3M double sided tape to reduce sensitivity to interior coatings. So far so good, time will tell if this experiment works as hoped.
• Installed Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. I’m now the proud owner of a very large torque wrench to accompany my other two.
• Installed TST, 10 sensor TPMS system.
• Installed King WIFI range extender, well it’s free standing actually, but it’s configured and tested. If it works half as good as they claim, I’ll be satisfied.
• Installed a fused & switched 12vdc SO cable feed line with Anderson 30amp connectors inside the compartment next to the entry door. Serves double duty as a power feed for the Viair compressor & portable macerator pump, and an input for a suitcase solar charge system since the cord exit port is right there.
• As soon as the weather gets warmer the EZ Gutter is going on above the driver and passenger windows.

All that’s left is a roof sealant check and a good waxing top to bottom, I never look forward to that.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

On our 29 VE Vista, I didn't like the way I stored the sewer hose in a bag and left it coiled up in the water closet..no matter how clean I flushed it after use I just was not happy..so I installed a 5'' x 8 ' square vinyl post from Home Depot under the rear of the coach attaching it in three places with galv metal stripping...I blocked one end with a couple of aluminum rods..and coped out the entry end to accept the large elbow that goes into the drain pipe.. locking it in place with a large retaining pin...very pleased with the end result..very happy now I have separated the sewer hose from the water system...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago