Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #21
Veteran & RV Owner

The dash A/C is not going to cool down our 37 foot coach. About 30 mins prior to arrival at a campground, I start the generator and cool the coach down.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #22
2002 Journey WPK36GD

I have a Journey 2002 Diesel 36 DL. I run the generator all the time if it gets too hot and set the basement aircon to 70°F. This gives us mostly (30A limit) RV functions including microwave.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrust2000 View Post
Just bought 2002 Adventurer. Has Onan generator and two compressor heat pump heating/cooling. Can the generator be run, as well as heat pump while driving down the road?

Yes its fine. Onan even has a EnergyCommand unit to automatically start the generator when the thermostat calls for AC and automatically cycle it off when you shut the engine off with the ignition key when you stop for fuel or put the RV in storage. The EnergyCommand unit also saves fuel since the generator won't be running when its not needed.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I do it when temps hit 95 + if anything the generator and roof air condensers get more air flow
pkthoegersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Yes. I was told by a diesel mechanic it would ruin my I am so I called factory.
Winnebago has a design that allows running while in
Motion
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I also have an ‘02 Adventurer, and in warm weather I run mine all while traveling. It takes a long time to cool that living area down once it gets hot. Better to keep it cool, plus you might want to put something in the crock pot or instapot to be ready when you get there.
Charley67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't see why the generator would care either way. It doesn't know it's moving, and assuming it has a carburetor that should be able to handle the bumps.

There was a thread here a while ago that indicated some A/Cs exhaust the hot air forward, which seems like a bad design. I could see that would interfere with A/C operation while moving. If it exhausts to the rear seemingly the A/C would be slightly more efficient than stationary.
Diesel engines which runs your generator do not have carburetors & don't worry about dust, bugs etc.. entering the intake that's why the generator has a very fine air filter which the manufacturer recommends changing each year. The A/C recirculates the air within your unit unless you leave a window open which would defeat of cooling of the MH. Run the A/C when it is too warm when stationery or underway. Only word of caution is to ensure that you have plenty of diesel fuel in the tank as the pick up tube for the generator is up from the bottom of the tank so one would not consume all the fuel which the main engine will cease to operate after some time when operating your generator for whatever use you may decide.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbev View Post
Diesel engines which runs your generator do not have carburetors & don't worry about dust, bugs etc.. entering the intake that's why the generator has a very fine air filter which the manufacturer recommends changing each year. The A/C recirculates the air within your unit unless you leave a window open which would defeat of cooling of the MH. Run the A/C when it is too warm when stationery or underway. Only word of caution is to ensure that you have plenty of diesel fuel in the tank as the pick up tube for the generator is up from the bottom of the tank so one would not consume all the fuel which the main engine will cease to operate after some time when operating your generator for whatever use you may decide.
I wasn't just assuming a diesel generator, although quite frankly I don't know whether any gasoline generators use fuel injection. But yeah, fuel injection doesn't care about bumps, nor do most carburetors.

As to my comment about direction of the A/C exhausts, I was referring to the condenser, which has nothing to do with the air recirculating. Some apparently exhaust forward, which seems like a really bad design for a mobile A/C unit. At some speed there would be no air flow across the condensor and at every speed it would be impaired. If it exhausted rearward there wouldn't be such issues except maybe in tailwinds, which could also be a problem when stationary.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Did a nice 100 mile test run with generator and A/C. Work great. With chassis and coach a/c it it cold....... 92 outside. Thanks all.
willrust2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
RNB
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrust2000 View Post
Just bought 2002 Adventurer. Has Onan generator and two compressor heat pump heating/cooling. Can the generator be run, as well as heat pump while driving down the road?
Don't know if it is recommended but I run my 5500 Onan generator on my 2013 Sightseer all the time while travelling for my electrical needs.
RNB
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Our cab AC broke this spring. On our last 2 trips i ran the generator with the basement AC. Worked well in 95' weather
Old 08-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Overheat?

We were on our Jenny on the road also but this year we have a new problem. Coming back northbound from Kingman a few weeks ago was the first time at Radix head. It was 110 out and suddenly I heard the ACs kick off and knew the generator had stopped and it would not restart. I got home in the next day ran the generator for an hour running both ACs all was well. It happened again between Vegas and St. George last week. Again the temps were in the 108 range.We’ve never experienced it before but I am thinking we had some pretty strong headwinds and I think there was some type of a air pocket being created around the back of the coach for the generator is and it just couldn’t cool itself. After it cools off it fires up and runs for hours just fine sitting still. If anybody’s got any ideas I’m all ears. The generator is nine years old and only has 210 hours on it.
Rorytug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
If anybody’s got any ideas I’m all ears. The generator is nine years old and only has 210 hours on it.
Maybe it's just too much demand on the generator with both ACs running in that heat????? Can you monitor it's power demand?

Have you checked the condensers on the A/Cs to make sure they aren't filled with bugs and such?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Maybe it's just too much demand on the generator with both ACs running in that heat????? Can you monitor it's power demand?

Have you checked the condensers on the A/Cs to make sure they aren't filled with bugs and such?
I haven’t tried one ABC yet but a good thought. The Condensers are clean, unlike my post which Siri butchered.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #35
2004 Itasca Sunrise

We have to monitor electrical use with our 5500 Onan generator and can only run the front and rear A/C at the same time when there are no other "big draw" power demands such as the microwave, blow dryer, etc.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
I haven’t tried one ABC yet but a good thought. The Condensers are clean, unlike my post which Siri butchered.
Well to clean up my own post a bit, I was suggesting that the generator portion of the generator (the non-engine portion) was perhaps generating too much heat with that high electrical draw. So not that the engine of the generator was getting too hot (although it would be contributing to the heat), but that the generator portion itself was getting too hot with that demand in that heat.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Goodspike, just found out from DW that only one AC on. Haven't had the issue now in >90 temps in PNW. It's a mystery

Tags
generator