Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dimension 2000w issues

Hi Folks,
Back on the road, hit the blooon fest in havasu, plan to head to Quartzsite.

Dry camped in Havasu and started up the inverter, we hardly ever use it, because we generally camp with power.

We have also have a shakey past with our inverters. This one, the third unit for this rv, all warrentee remanufactured Dimensions win-12x20b3r1t.

Issue: used it with tv, direct tv box ok. In the morning went to use it to run microwave. The microwavie sounds funny, the refrigerator which is set on LP starts beeping and flashes no AC. Coffee cup in for 2 mins, luke warm.

Inverter shut down. Placed a plug in voltage tester and turned inverter on again, voltage meter pegged @ 135 volts , unit shut down.

Some research says the the mod sine wave inverters can trick voltage meters to read high ratings but I think I'm just fed up with mod sine wave, and puchase a pure sine wave unit, it seems that the prices have come down some. I can understand faulty meter readings, but when I see the applinances acting up, not all is ok.

Anyone seen any of these things?

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your invertor won't run your microwave. Start your gen for m/w, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron or other high users of electricity.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

A modified sine wave inverter will cause a low (104~) voltage reading unless you are using a True RMS voltmeter.

135 volts output indicates the inverter is not working right.

A 2000 watt inverter will run a microwave as I have done it with no problems.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Same experience. After 3 dimensions inverters I also replaced it. Yes you can run a microwave on a 2000 watt inverter.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
Your invertor won't run your microwave. Start your gen for m/w, coffee pot, hair dryer, iron or other high users of electricity.
We have the same inverter and it runs the microwave just fine.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

New Inverter

I had a new Magnum pure sine inverter installed. It is about the same size as the dimention. All the appliances work great. Thanks for you replies.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I replaced mine with a Magnum as well. I installed the 2800 watt unit as I will be changing to a residential type fridge in the near future. Like the Dimensions Inverter I ran out of patience with my Norcold unit as well. Planning ahead
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote