Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
D Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 245
Weighed Coach NOW WHAT??????

When I weighed I had empty Grey, Black & Fresh Water tanks, we are not fully loaded for full timing, but loaded for vacation only. GVW was not an issue 33000 weighed 34320 allowed, front axle weighed 11840, with 14320 allowed. Here's the PROBLEM rear axle 20920 weighed 20000 allowed, I'm already 920lbs over on the rear axle and I don't have the coach loaded for full timing, no extra oils etc, tools, clothing, etc, all of which when loaded will be in the back half of the coach adding more weight to the rear axle. Yes the coach was on the scale properly, I drove truck over the road and know how to weigh on a split scale. SO how cam I possible load this coach for full timing when I'm already over on the rear axle when loaded for vacation?????
__________________
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota(TOAD) 2005 Honda Shadow in TOAD
AF-1 braking system
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper
 
ajm12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans, La.
Posts: 5
Had similar problem. Had to redistribute weight. Put a lot of the heavy stuff in front compartments but I was not that far overweight. Also put some stuff in the toad.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Al & Katie
2005 Excursion 39L Cat C7 350 HP
Retired 33 years NOFD and survived Katrina
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
I had a similar issue after attaching my trailer. What I did was to move all of the heavy stuff up front...I have a spare rim which I moved up front as well as all of my tools and other heavy stuff. My bathroom is directly behing the drivers seat so I load up the shower with stuff such as the spare trailer tire and other what-not. My wardrobe is behind the passenger seat and it is packed as well. I have little of anything of substantial weight in the rear compartments...chairs covers, etc.

I also have a weight distribution hitch for my trailer which also moved weight forward to the front wheels.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
When I weighed I had empty Grey, Black & Fresh Water tanks, we are not fully loaded for full timing, but loaded for vacation only. GVW was not an issue 33000 weighed 34320 allowed, front axle weighed 11840, with 14320 allowed. Here's the PROBLEM rear axle 20920 weighed 20000 allowed, I'm already 920lbs over on the rear axle and I don't have the coach loaded for full timing, no extra oils etc, tools, clothing, etc, all of which when loaded will be in the back half of the coach adding more weight to the rear axle. Yes the coach was on the scale properly, I drove truck over the road and know how to weigh on a split scale. SO how cam I possible load this coach for full timing when I'm already over on the rear axle when loaded for vacation?????
Well ... (and this is no fun) I think I would unload the back half and reweigh the rig. See how much your new weight will allow and then look at the pile of stuff and rethink it. You can weigh the stuff in the pile, one at a time, on a bathroom scale. Clothing is a lot heavier than it looks.

When you say "full timing" do you mean parked or continuously travelling?
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 108
And I was once told "you can never overload a DP". HMMMM? Wish you the best of luck and hope you can resolve your issue.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38
Just go by gross weight and tires. You can worry yourself sick over a few pounds. And travel with minimum water. You are going to sit all winter and the actual travel time is minimum. All of this weight, as side from the few cheaper coaches which are really over weight is a waste of energy. That is unless you need something to fret about then go for it.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
D Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 245
I'm not close to over weight on the tires, and NO we have no real weight in the rear of the coach to remove, we were only packed for a 1 week vacation!!!! There is very little room up front for things like tools, oil, fluids, etc. I'm willing to bet if I unload the coach, and leave the motorcycle (that is towed and only adds 300lbs to the receiver) I'd be VERY close to max axle weight empty, we have that little in the coach right now only vacationing. Also the fresh water tank is in the front and was empty. If I put water in it (even 1/2 a tank) most of that weight will go on the front axle so moving a lot of weight forward is about the only option but the front compartments are 1) fresh water tank, 2) propane tank. The only redeeming fact was that the fuel tanks were full and they're up front too I think.
__________________
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota(TOAD) 2005 Honda Shadow in TOAD
AF-1 braking system
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38
A little over weight on only the rear axle IMO is nothing to worry about.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
CampDaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 111
I know some folks that had weight issues on TTs, 5ers, and MHs. They had one thing in common that brought their weight up a lot: They all carried more tools than a Snap-On truck.

Just sayin....
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Algoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 6
D Lindy, the 2014 brochure shows that Winnebago increased the rear axle rating from 20,000 to 23,000 lbs. I would call their technical support people and point this out, it may be they had the numbers wrong for your year.
__________________
John and Mary Knight
2015 Newmar Ventana 4311 - wheelchair accessible
2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury AWD
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I'm not close to over weight on the tires, and NO we have no real weight in the rear of the coach to remove, we were only packed for a 1 week vacation!!!! There is very little room up front for things like tools, oil, fluids, etc. I'm willing to bet if I unload the coach, and leave the motorcycle (that is towed and only adds 300lbs to the receiver) I'd be VERY close to max axle weight empty, we have that little in the coach right now only vacationing. Also the fresh water tank is in the front and was empty. If I put water in it (even 1/2 a tank) most of that weight will go on the front axle so moving a lot of weight forward is about the only option but the front compartments are 1) fresh water tank, 2) propane tank. The only redeeming fact was that the fuel tanks were full and they're up front too I think.

Then I guess you answered your "NOW WHAT?" question ... you were able to get a bunch of people to tell you "don't worry".
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
vsheetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 227
Might be interesting to see how much the 300lb cycle on the back actually adds at the axle.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Might be interesting to see how much the 300lb cycle on the back actually adds at the axle.
UMMMM...300# would be the correct answer. It would actually unload a little weight off the front axle.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian for GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 135
Assuming the OP has gotten the weights right, no reason to doubt it, time for a major RANT!

I'm sorry...gonna call it like I see it. The OP is screwed! Unless they just bought it and can take it back to the seller for a full refund I do NOT see any satisfactory resolution that doesn't ignore the facts.

OH...there is one possible solution. Pull a trailer and remove all heavy items from the coach to the trailer. SHEESH! That is a stupid suggestion but I thought I would toss it out for amusement.

920# over the GAWR is NOT a "no problem" if the coach is not even loaded to then OP's needs/wants. Suggesting that running with empty water tanks is kinda IMHO, silly. Same goes for not carrying tools or anything an owner wants...within reason. If the axle was actually rated at 23000# as suggested previously but de-rated by Winnebago...that is a different story.

Folks suggesting/hinting that it isn't a big deal can easily say that from the cheap seats. It is not their family riding along in a MH where someone is playing junior automobile design engineer without facts to back up how much safety margin they are working with.

Shifting weight forward helps but it can't help that much unless it is a rock collection at the very back being moved to the very front of the basement. Any movement that is not from the extreme back of the basement to the extreme front only makes proportional change.

This is not the first case of a MH not being properly designed to carry what it needs to carry. MR_D will attest that even Newmar missed the boat on this in the past.

Unless the OP made a mistake or the scales were wrong, they have a problem and just because some folks take it on their own to overload their coaches doesn't make it correct or even safe to say it isn't a problem. It is, at least, a potential legal issue.

I wish I had a better answer for the OP. In all honesty, no one has a good answer and I hate that fact. The only options I see for the OP are:

1. Ignore it.
2. Hope it should have been 23,000# and can get it properly re-stickered.
3. Get a different MH.
4. Add a trailer for stuff and car.

This is exactly why I preach that everyone should get an accurate weight for any MH they plan on buying before they sign the contract. Accurate means 4/6 corners with as much fuel, water and propane they can talk the seller into.

I wish I felt better after this rant but I don't. I feel bad for the OP.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian for GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Assuming the OP has gotten the weights right, no reason to doubt it, time for a major RANT!

I'm sorry...gonna call it like I see it. The OP is screwed! Unless they just bought it and can take it back to the seller for a full refund I do NOT see any satisfactory resolution that doesn't ignore the facts.

OH...there is one possible solution. Pull a trailer and remove all heavy items from the coach to the trailer. SHEESH! That is a stupid suggestion but I thought I would toss it out for amusement.

920# over the GAWR is NOT a "no problem" if the coach is not even loaded to then OP's needs/wants. Suggesting that running with empty water tanks is kinda IMHO, silly. Same goes for not carrying tools or anything an owner wants...within reason. If the axle was actually rated at 23000# as suggested previously but de-rated by Winnebago...that is a different story.

Folks suggesting/hinting that it isn't a big deal can easily say that from the cheap seats. It is not their family riding along in a MH where someone is playing junior automobile design engineer without facts to back up how much safety margin they are working with.

Shifting weight forward helps but it can't help that much unless it is a rock collection at the very back being moved to the very front of the basement. Any movement that is not from the extreme back of the basement to the extreme front only makes proportional change.

This is not the first case of a MH not being properly designed to carry what it needs to carry. MR_D will attest that even Newmar missed the boat on this in the past.

Unless the OP made a mistake or the scales were wrong, they have a problem and just because some folks take it on their own to overload their coaches doesn't make it correct or even safe to say it isn't a problem. It is, at least, a potential legal issue.

I wish I had a better answer for the OP. In all honesty, no one has a good answer and I hate that fact. The only options I see for the OP are:

1. Ignore it.
2. Hope it should have been 23,000# and can get it properly re-stickered.
3. Get a different MH.
4. Add a trailer for stuff and car.

This is exactly why I preach that everyone should get an accurate weight for any MH they plan on buying before they sign the contract. Accurate means 4/6 corners with as much fuel, water and propane they can talk the seller into.

I wish I felt better after this rant but I don't. I feel bad for the OP.
I think you may be assuming that when the OP says "packed for vacation" it is not much weight ... just sayin' ...

I know my vacation weight is not insignificant.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise
 
Skip426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 339
Sky Boss;
They started producing , tag axle MH's for a reason , and the OP, unfortunately just found out first hand, what the reason was.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I think you may be assuming that when the OP says "packed for vacation" it is not much weight ... just sayin' ...

I know my vacation weight is not insignificant.
I am not assuming anything and I hear where you are coming from. The facts are that it was weighed without even adding water. I think we can also agree that packed for vacation means it will still weigh more when it is loaded for full time. Also, unless the guy is carrying a rock collection (funny true story about another coach being overloaded) I doubt the OP can unload 920# of stuff off the rear axle.

Granted, it would be nice for a full picture if the OP had weighed it before loading it to see just how much it was. Still, let's assume for the sake of argument they unloaded 1800# off the rear axle. That means that with full water the axle would be nearly maxed out already. IMHO...that is NOT an acceptable starting point for any MH, especially a DP.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian for GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
...If I put water in it (even 1/2 a tank) most of that weight will go on the front axle so moving a lot of weight forward is about the only option but the front compartments are 1) fresh water tank, 2) propane tank. The only redeeming fact was that the fuel tanks were full and they're up front too I think.
I'm not familiar with your chassis but are you sure the water tank is well up front? That would certainly help a bit but consider this. If the tank is 1/2 the way between the front and rear axles, it splits the weight at the same proportion. 96 gal equals about 800# thus 400# goes to each axle. While that helps a bit in the overall picture, it is still a major problem.

From my previous ownership of an Adventurer, I'm thinking that your water weight is close to 50/50 on the axles. I could be wrong.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian for GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Master
 
FIRE UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
When I weighed I had empty Grey, Black & Fresh Water tanks, we are not fully loaded for full timing, but loaded for vacation only. GVW was not an issue 33000 weighed 34320 allowed, front axle weighed 11840, with 14320 allowed. Here's the PROBLEM rear axle 20920 weighed 20000 allowed, I'm already 920lbs over on the rear axle and I don't have the coach loaded for full timing, no extra oils etc, tools, clothing, etc, all of which when loaded will be in the back half of the coach adding more weight to the rear axle. Yes the coach was on the scale properly, I drove truck over the road and know how to weigh on a split scale. SO how cam I possible load this coach for full timing when I'm already over on the rear axle when loaded for vacation?????
D Lindy,
Well Sir, you can do what you "FEEL" is best for you and your coach but, speaking from REAL WORLD experience, I can tell you that absolutely nothing will happen to your coach by running that much over weight. I can speak from true experience in this matter because I ran over loaded, to the tune of just over 2600 POUNDS overloaded on the rear axle for over 8,000 miles. You see, I wanted to carry our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back of our Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 HP CAT.

I weighed the coach, prior to the install of the 300 lb. lift/carrier on the back. It was just over 16K. The GAWR for the rear is 17,500 lbs. So, knowing the "leverage" and "cantilever" facts, I installed it anyways. Now, add an almost 900 lb. Goldwing to that lift, and you have right at 2,600 lbs. over weight. Well, we traveled all over the western U.S. like that and, towing one of two toads, an '04 Jeep Rubicon or, an '11 Honda CRV.

The coach handled like a dream. I had so many guys tell me, "the back of the coach will fall off, the fiber glass body in the sides and back will definitely crack, the frame will break, my first born will die, and more and more and more. Yeah, yeah, yeah, bla, bla, bla.

Absolutely none of it ever came close to happening. The coach ran straight and true down the road. There was never any "porpoising", absolutely "0" WANDERING, no light feeling in the front end, no squirminess, NOTHING. When I weighed it at a certified scale with the bike attached, it had lowered the weight of the front end by a measly 100 lbs. Big deal. I inspected every inch of the frame, the sub frames, the fiber glass, the mounting system for the Hydralift, and more, on a regular basis and never found not even a hint of fatigue or failure. Now, folks can argue 'till they turn blue in the face, I'm not going argue with anyone, it worked, it worked well and I had no problems.

Now, I'm not going to tell you to run over weight. That's your decision and yours alone. The diesel rigs have quite a bit more "stout" built into them than the gas units. Suffice to say that just about every inch of them is stronger. The weight limits on these coaches is there as guide line and for warranty purposes. I've been welding and fabricating for my whole life and have worked with frames and suspension for almost as long on rather large trucks. If you feel that you simply cannot run a few pounds over weight on that rear axle, you will have to make whatever concessions to satisfy your intended desire. Good luck.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise
 
Harry B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 358
I would get the ride height checked. The airbag settings have the abity to shift weight from front to rear. That is about the only thing that can influence weight distribution
__________________
Harry
2015 Tuscany 40 KQ
2013 Honda CR-V
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone weighed axles on a 30B Itasca? Invent1 General Maintenance and Repair 15 09-23-2009 08:16 PM
Has anyone weighed their Adventurer hondo12 Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 7 04-02-2008 08:45 PM
We need to go on a diet - weighed the coach again ... John_Canfield Winnebago General Discussions 27 05-07-2006 04:29 PM
Weighed the coach today! John_Canfield Winnebago Lifestyle 17 03-07-2006 03:03 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×