Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I'm willing to bet if I unload the coach, and leave the motorcycle (that is towed and only adds 300lbs to the receiver) I'd be VERY close to max axle weight empty, we have that little in the coach right now only vacationing.
You stated above that the trailer added 300 lbs to the RECEIVER. Tongue weight is usually 10% to 15% of the trailer weight. So does your trailer weigh 2,000 lbs loaded? In summary the tongue weight of the trailer may be too high.

NOW THE IMPORTANT QUESTION...again, the 300 lbs tongue weight of the trailer is at the receiver as you stated. Since the rear end is a substantial distance from the receiver, the rear end will act as a level sothe actual tongue weight on the rear end has the potential to be over 1000 lbs at the axle. This may be a problem which can be alleviated with a weight distribution hitch. Not only is your rear end overloaded with the much tongue weight, your front end is lightened up as well which will make your coach wander down the road. The WD hitch will correct both of these issues.

I would suggest reweighing the rear axle without the trailer attached. It sounds like you already weighted the trailer. Adjusting the position of the motorcycle to the rear (moving the pingle if you have one installed) will reduce the tongue weight. Use a bathroom scale on the jack to accurately measure the tongue weight.

Concerning a couple of other posts...air bags will not allow for additional capacity on an axle. They can be use to adjust ride height. The air bags still have to sit on an axle. And I would dismiss the comment concening overloading the axle a little. Imagine the load on an axle when you hit a dip in the road when traveling at speed. The weight on the axles will momentarily increase dramatically, and overloading an axle when at rest would exacerbate that condition.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
UMMMM...300# would be the correct answer. It would actually unload a little weight off the front axle.
300 lbs at the receiver adds a substantial weight at the axle.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Well ... there are lots of variables that are unknown.

The OP has not described what "full-timing" means to him ... travel or stationary. Is this overload a one time event or expected to be continuous.

The OP's sig line shows multiple vehicles (not including a motorcycle). 2012 Journey 40U, 2008 Dodge Dakota, 2004 Subaru Baja. Is one a toad? Can the toad be the vehicle that tows the (300lb tongue weight) motorcycle? The 300lb at tongue is probably 350lb at axle ... and is that 350lb of the 900lb overage?

According to OP, he has 1320 lb. before reaching GVW max. Sounds like a redistribution can work since the front axle can take another 2480 lb.

Doesn't address the future load for full-timing but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and rent a truck. An RV is still just a Recreational Vehicle and not a moving van.

The question still remains:

What is the weight and distribution of the "As Delivered" vehicle?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Based on what I have currently on the rear axle - Tires total capacity 26000+ lbs., Rims total capacity 28000+ lbs. It looks like 2 of the concerns as to if the rear axle has the new 23000 lb. are covered. Now it's an issue to see if I can get the info out of Freightliner as to what axle ASM I have under the coach and if it's the same one as under the 2014's, and my 20000 axle load limit is due just to the DOT regs. at the time of mfgr.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Based on what I have currently on the rear axle - Tires total capacity 26000+ lbs., Rims total capacity 28000+ lbs. It looks like 2 of the concerns as to if the rear axle has the new 23000 lb. are covered. Now it's an issue to see if I can get the info out of Freightliner as to what axle ASM I have under the coach and if it's the same one as under the 2014's, and my 20000 axle load limit is due just to the DOT regs. at the time of mfgr.
Personally, I think you are working this in a logical manner. As I said earlier, if you find that the rear axle is rated at 23,000# and since you have verified your tires and rims are sufficient then even my little, ole anal retentive self says you are safe to go. Just don't quote me and ask me to testify to that in court. LOL

That leads into my only last word of caution is that if all this works out to this conclusion you should take every effort to get your coach re-tagged to reflect that. This is only because of the potential for being in a grey area for legal and/or insurance issues. Ya...I'm a little paranoid on that. Also, as a previous aero-engineer posted, I have also been involved in air craft accident investigations from the ATC side of things. Through that experience I know how thorough an investigation can be especially if the NTSB is involved.

Good Luck!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Sky Boss; read you on the retagging but I doubt Freightliner would even consider it even though they know for a fact that it's built with the 23000 specs. (liability issues etc). The only time the weight tag would come into play is if I'm involved in an accident that was my fault and there was a fatality involved, this coming from someone who drove truck over the road for 20+ years, and know when DOT would get involved in an accident and what they might due.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Winnebago Watcher

Many different opinions and suggestions here, which is what I like to read before purchasing my first DP in a couple of years for full-timing. So far, my take on this is to carefully research before you buy and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

While I don't "plan" on carrying a lot of stuff, the DW wants a new DP with a 1 1/2 bath and I'll be towing a 2013 Grand Cherokee 4X4 as our toad. I've been vacillating between purchasing a single axle 40' or a 42' Tag so far and have been leaning towards Tag for safety and comfort. I'm not Donald Trump, so looking at Tuscany and Winnebago right now as the more money I can keep in my pocket, the more I can spend on our FT travels.

My comment is meant to show all of you posters that your contributions help many others on irv2 you don't see, so thanks. Especially to Sky Boss because I'll probably be doing the same anal thing with the tires.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When I weighed I had empty Grey, Black & Fresh Water tanks, we are not fully loaded for full timing, but loaded for vacation only. GVW was not an issue 33000 weighed 34320 allowed, front axle weighed 11840, with 14320 allowed. Here's the PROBLEM rear axle 20920 weighed 20000 allowed, I'm already 920lbs over on the rear axle and I don't have the coach loaded for full timing, no extra oils etc, tools, clothing, etc, all of which when loaded will be in the back half of the coach adding more weight to the rear axle. Yes the coach was on the scale properly, I drove truck over the road and know how to weigh on a split scale. SO how cam I possible load this coach for full timing when I'm already over on the rear axle when loaded for vacation?????
D Lindy --

You mentioned in a follow on post that you had the coach weighed at a CAT scale, with your motorcycle in tow. Question: Was the full weight of the motorcycle on the middle platen which weighs the drive axle of the motorhome? If so, then you are getting a false reading of the weight on the rear axle, as I am assuming the front wheel of the motorcycle is off the road on a carrier on the back of your coach, which would account for the 300# on the rear of the coach (or front of the bike), but the rear wheel of the bike is on the ground, carrying much of the weight of the bike.

CAT scales have 3 platens designed to weigh 18 wheelers. Front platen is positioned to weigh front axle of a tractor-trailer. Middle platen is positioned to weigh 2 rear axles of a tractor-trailer. 3rd platen weighs the trailer.

In a motorhome situation, the CAT scale platen positioning works out pretty well, with the front platen weighing the front axle, the middle platen weighing the rear axle, and the 3rd platen weighing the toad.

In your situation, if you're pulling a big Honda or other motorcycle, the rear axle of the motorcyle just might be on the middle platen of the CAT scale, thus falsely increasing the weight read on the middle platen. The result will be a higher reading than what is actually being carried by the rear axle.

Suggestion is to remove the bike, and re-weigh the coach to see what it tells you. You might be surprised based on the results.

P.S. Are you Dana of the Senecas? If so, I've seen your setup.

Don
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Pusherman, no the motorcycle rear wheel was on a 3rd platform on the scale I made sure of that because I wanted to know what the weight of the rear wheel on the Motorcycle would be, being as I'm having a running battle with the NY State Thruway on tolls. The want to toll me as if I have 3 axles under my coach because the motorcycle is attached to the coach and it has a wheel on the ground!!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #50
Winnie-Wise

Well did yo take into account the type of motorcycle hookup you have on the back of the MH? The weight of the carrioer does add to the rear axle weight of the MH. But becasue you state that you basically drag your motorcycle it may not be that heavy.
IMHO I would unload the MH and then weigh it again, empty. This is the only way to get a true weight of it.
Yes i know haw be of a PITHA it will be to unload and then reload the MH but you will be amazed and just how much CRAP you actually have in there and most likely decide that maybe all if it does not need to go bakc into it because you haven't used it in years, like the 8 lawn chairs, when there is only 2 of you. Or the 5 lawn carpets because she liked the way this one looked over the other ones you already had. I'll bet that 50% of the clothes yo have you don't even use because they are too small or just not comfortable. Get rid of them they are just taking up space and adding weight.
Yes do it all again and get it right this time.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

SuperGewl; Know about stuff sneaking into the coach, but that's not the case for use YET!!!! We're still in the vacation mode. I'd already planned on empting the coach and weighing it when I take it up to be winterized the end of Oct. Right not I'm strongly leaning to the fact that the 20000 weight limit was DOT driven due to date of mfgr. of the chassis. It was about a year later that DOT raised the axle limit to 23000, and the rime and tires I have more then support the 23000 limit.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Our loaded for full-timing 2012 4U rides at around
Front: 12,800
Rear: 20,800
- pulling 6,000 truck 4 down so hitch weight..

The ~4% overload on the rear isn't too big of a deal, BUT unloaded, a 4 wheel weigh shows the passenger side rear (Washer/Dryer/DEF/Exhaust system) side is SEVERAL hundred pounds heavier than the driver side rear. Also the drivers front (propane tank) starts out a couple hundred heavier than the pass side.

It took a few attempts at rearranging to get the ends balanced out. Everything heavy is now on the slider. As well as some weight on the lighter (drivers) side rear.
The passenger side rear compartments only contain light aluminum chairs, empty coolers, helium balloons, etc.

You will find that once you get it balanced out, and the tires pressurized for the true weight, the ride is even more stable.

Finally, I've talked with several folks (techs, managers, etc) at Freightliner and while they wont put it in writing, they assured me that up to several percent over spec is not a big deal. Move what weight you can up front, balance whats left (side to side), set your tire pressures & hit the road.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

D Lindy, I am sorry to hear you are in such distress. I was at Freightliner, Gaffney, SC for service last week. They did a 4 point weight on my '11 40U. Here are the results: LF=6280, RF=6080, LR=10020, RR=11180, Total=33560. I thought I was out of spec but they assured me that I was fine.

In getting clarity about the weighing they said that they add 500# for passengers and extras to the total. They adjusted my ride height to compensate for any load tilting caused by the uneven load. My axle alignment was checked and the frontend was checked. My tires set at 110# all around. I left there feeling confident that my chassis is in tiptop condition. Driving through the mountains of SC, NC and TN proved to me that my coach chassis is well tuned and balanced.

I carry tools for carpentry including nail guns and nails, table saw, electric miter saw, two buckets of hand tools and many more things. My wife has two sewing machines, has filled the under the bed storage with material, heavy dishes in the cupboards, a full residential refrigerator, can goods... not to mention clothing. And that is the short list.

I think your coach load is going to be fine. I do hope I have encouraged you to relax a little, as many others have tried to do. You are a responsible driver. You will be fine.

About NY tolls? Yea. I agree especially crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge!

Blessings and Happy Trails!

Rick