Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 96
DEF questions - 2018 Fuse

Two questions about DEF.

We have a 2018 Fuse (Ford Transit with the 185HP Ford diesel) and diesel is new to us, our previous RV being a gasser. Can anyone tell me the size of the DEF tank on the Fuse? And, more importantly, is there any dashboard display to tell me how full the tank is?

I know there is an info page on the dash that tells me if the DEF level is OK, but I would like to know just how OK it is so I am not checking every hour I am driving. The Info telling me it is OK now does not mean it will be OK in 15 minutes, so it would help to know that the tank was full or half full or nearly empty. As it is I do not even know what OK really means in terms of the amount of DEF in the tank, or how long before I need to add more.

One other question. I watched a YouTube video on DEF and the presenter was clear in saying that people do not need to carry their own DEF containers and should not since it was available everywhere. Is that the case? I have stopped to refill our diesel 3 times since we bought the RV (last week) and did not see DEF at any of the stations. I did not look inside, and perhaps it was there, but it was not displayed at the gas/diesel pumps. How available is it at normal 7-11 and Quick-Trip diesel stations?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
The Transit Diesel has a 5 gallon DEF tank. You should be able to go anywhere from 3000 to 5000 miles before refill, depending on driving conditions. Yes, the Fuse instrument controller will give you adequate warning should the level require attention. It will tell you when you should think about adding DEF.
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
luvlabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 270
Go to Walmart and buy yourself a gallon jug of DEF. Should you ever need it while travelling, you will get 1000 - 2000 miles before you need to add more.

Stations who have DEF at the pump are set up for big rig trucks and large Class A motorhomes - something you are not. The high flow diesel pumps are not friendly to your little rig and, while you could use the DEF, it's just as easy to use a jug since you will be adding very little.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
To make my previous comment clear, The Ford Transit instrument cluster alarm will tell you when you need to add DEF.....with enough time to work a purchase stop into your next trip. You do not need to be monitoring the DEF level on the dash.....it will pop up anyway when you get low. Be advised, DEF does have a shelf life ( about 1 year) so don’t buy a bunch and sit on it. Big box stores in their auto sections will have it as well as auto parts stores and many service stations.
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
To make my previous comment clear, The Ford Transit instrument cluster alarm will tell you when you need to add DEF.....with enough time to work a purchase stop into your next trip. You do not need to be monitoring the DEF level on the dash.....it will pop up anyway when you get low. Be advised, DEF does have a shelf life ( about 1 year) so don’t buy a bunch and sit on it. Big box stores in their auto sections will have it as well as auto parts stores and many service stations.
I picked up 2 1 gallon jugs of DEF from Walmart but the problem is that I do not know how low the DEF has to get before you get an alarm indicating that you need to add more. It puzzles me that there is no gauge to indicate the actual level.

I spoke with Ford yesterday trying to get this sorted out, but ended up even more confused. The tech told me that he thought there was a part of the fuel gauge that indicated the DEF level, but I can not find anything like that. He also told me that I should get an alarm when I still had 50 miles or so of DEF left. 50 miles? So little? Well, he then told me, perhaps 75 miles or maybe 100 miles, so I got the impression that he really did not know. He said he was looking at the specs trying to find the size of the DEF tank, but could not find that listed. Perhaps, he said, it was 7.5 gallons. Or perhaps 6 gallons.

I suppose I will get this worked out when I actually get the message and add DEF. That will tell me how much I added and consequentially how much was left, given a 5 gallon tank.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 216
On my View when the DEF light comes on it will take about 2.5 gal to top off. If the light does not go off you must add more till it does or it won't reset the computer.



It's really not a big deal, your are overthinking the entire issue as I did when new to the idea of DEF.


If on major highways there is DEF at the truck lanes in addition any station that sells diesel has bottled DEF inside.


Price wise: DEF pumped is least expensive, Wallmart or Sam's for the bottled in either 1 gal or the 2.5 gal is probably next.



The actual difference in price is really minimal since you only need a gal or two at any time.



If any spills happen when refilling flush the area with water since it is corrosive.
__________________
Enjoy Life! It's later than you think. Life changes in a second. There isn't enough time for cheap booze and cheap cigars.
NYBobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
It sounds like your tech needs to brush up on the use of the Transit Instrument Cluster, and so do you. There is a plethora of features and information available in the Information Display. The manual for a 2016 Ford Transit 350 HD cutaway has complete information on how to use and access that display. Page 82 of that manual shows the DEF level indicator, labeled “ AdBlue Level “. Take an hour or more, sit in your Fuse, and learn to scroll through all the features in the Information Display. Do the same for the Sync3 system on the dash, too. My opinion is that Ford really did a good job designing easy access to the features in both systems.

PS: as I stated earlier, you should have around ~500 miles remaining when the DEF alarm indication come on.

Ed....2018 Fuse 23A
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post


If any spills happen when refilling flush the area with water since it is corrosive.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is not toxic, harmful or dangerous. In fact, of all the fluids used in a truck, such as diesel, engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze and windscreen wash, DEF is the least hazardous. However, DEF is corrosive for some metals such as carbon steel, aluminum, copper and zinc, and DEF should not be stored in containers made of these materials. Your DEF supplier can advise you further. ISO22241 provides a list of materials that are recommended and not recommended, but makes it clear that neither list is exhaustive.

In case anyone wondered, DEF is essentially urine!
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
It sounds like your tech needs to brush up on the use of the Transit Instrument Cluster, and so do you. There is a plethora of features and information available in the Information Display. The manual for a 2016 Ford Transit 350 HD cutaway has complete information on how to use and access that display. Page 82 of that manual shows the DEF level indicator, labeled “ AdBlue Level “. Take an hour or more, sit in your Fuse, and learn to scroll through all the features in the Information Display. Do the same for the Sync3 system on the dash, too. My opinion is that Ford really did a good job designing easy access to the features in both systems.

PS: as I stated earlier, you should have around ~500 miles remaining when the DEF alarm indication come on.

Ed....2018 Fuse 23A
One of there issues I have been having with the Fuse is the fact that I did not get a Ford manual when I bought the RV. When I could not find one I contacted Winnebago, but was told that was a Ford issue. When I contacted Ford they offered to sell me a manual.

Because I have no manual I have had to use this Forum to try to find out information that is probably clear in the manuals. If I can ever get my hands on a manual I will gladly read page 82.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
AJMike, did you buy your Fuse new? It sounds like you did. If so, it is beyond reprehensible that your dealer sold your Fuse without a Ford Manual. The manual is huge, not to mention other Ford items that come along with it (Warranty & Service Info.). This is essential to operate your Ford Transit Chassis. You need to hold that dealer responsible! I wonder what else you did not get with the new Fuse? Did you get the Fuse black info bag stuffed with the two Fuse User manuals, along with extensive manuals on all the entertainment electronics and appliances? I would not let my dealer get away with selling you an incomplete Fuse — and it is incomplete without the documentation. If your dealer persists in this asinine action, you should contact Winnebago. I am sure they would help greatly if the dealer is not helping.

On the brighter side, most of that info is available on the web, including the Ford manual. I just Googled for it and found PDF files for the complete Ford manual for whatever year you have....( my 2018 Fuse is on a 2017 Ford Transit chassis ) so download the appropriate one. If you have a problem with this I suppose I could email you the file.

I know you said you don’t do Facebook, but I will say again, you are missing out to the world’s greatest resource for Fuse Owners by not being able to access the Winnebago Fuse Owners Group. And then there is the second suggestion I made to you about the website, The ConFUSEd RVer , The conFUSEd RVer

Please respond with answers....is your Fuse new? What year? Model? Perhaps I can help further....
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
AJMike, did you buy your Fuse new? It sounds like you did. If so, it is beyond reprehensible that your dealer sold your Fuse without a Ford Manual. The manual is huge, not to mention other Ford items that come along with it (Warranty & Service Info.). This is essential to operate your Ford Transit Chassis. You need to hold that dealer responsible! I wonder what else you did not get with the new Fuse? Did you get the Fuse black info bag stuffed with the two Fuse User manuals, along with extensive manuals on all the entertainment electronics and appliances? I would not let my dealer get away with selling you an incomplete Fuse — and it is incomplete without the documentation. If your dealer persists in this asinine action, you should contact Winnebago. I am sure they would help greatly if the dealer is not helping.
Yes. Ours is a new 2018 Fuse with the 23T floor plan.

It took me a bit to find out that I did not have the manual. At first I thought it must have been bound up in the black bag full of Winnie manuals and we ended up having to go back to the RV storage location and root through that stuff. When I could not find it I spent some time looking for it in other places in the RV and only when I was sure that it was not there did I call Winnebago.

They, of course, referred me to Ford and they tried to sell me a new manual. After all of that I called the dealer and they told me that someone from service would call me "shortly". I am still waiting, but I have no intention of letting them off the hook about this. But the fact that I do not have the manual may explain why I am asking so many relatively simple questions on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
On the brighter side, most of that info is available on the web, including the Ford manual. I just Googled for it and found PDF files for the complete Ford manual for whatever year you have....( my 2018 Fuse is on a 2017 Ford Transit chassis ) so download the appropriate one. If you have a problem with this I suppose I could email you the file.

I know you said you don’t do Facebook, but I will say again, you are missing out to the world’s greatest resource for Fuse Owners by not being able to access the Winnebago Fuse Owners Group. And then there is the second suggestion I made to you about the website, The ConFUSEd RVer , The conFUSEd RVer

Please respond with answers....is your Fuse new? What year? Model? Perhaps I can help further....
I will Google for the Ford manual. I already did that for the Winnebago manuals and once I got the pdf file I placed the paper manuals in the RV in storage, which is why I had to go back to get it to look for the Ford manual. It should have occurred to me that the Ford manual would also be online. As for the Facebook group, perhaps I will join Facebook. I did not because it did not really seem aimed at my age group (that is, Geezer) and I knew of no one that I already knew that had a Facebook account. Still, a users group may well be worth signing up. And I have read the ConFUSEd RVer. Thank you for the link.

As for help, any would be appreciated.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
Misc. info:
The Ford manual comes in a ~ 6” x 8” black zippered case....about 400 pages for the manual and a couple other booklets for warranty info and service info. It was in the black Winnebago bag along with all my other Winnebago info manuals. I now keep it in the glove box.
Here is a link to the 2017 chassis manual, which you likely have on the 2018 Fuse:
http://http://www.fordservicecontent...US_06_2016.pdf
Here is a link for the 2018 Ford manual:http://http://www.fordservicecontent...US_07_2017.pdf

I would like to add that I, too, am a Geezer. I think you’ll find plenty of us on this Fuse Group in Facebook.

Another thing: Did your Fuse come with the silver tool to remove the false lug nut covers needed to remove the wheel covers? Also did it come with the slim blue funnel that can be used to fuel the Fuse at truck stops where the nozzles are often too big to fit the Transit filler tube? There is a small storage compartment on the passenger side under the passenger seat....they are often kept there. If totally missing, you need to advise your dealer....especially for the wheel cover nut removal tool.
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
Misc. info:
The Ford manual comes in a ~ 6” x 8” black zippered case....about 400 pages for the manual and a couple other booklets for warranty info and service info. It was in the black Winnebago bag along with all my other Winnebago info manuals. I now keep it in the glove box.
Here is a link to the 2017 chassis manual, which you likely have on the 2018 Fuse:
http://http://www.fordservicecontent...US_06_2016.pdf
Here is a link for the 2018 Ford manual:http://http://www.fordservicecontent...US_07_2017.pdf
Thank you for the links. I have downloaded the Transit Owners Manual in pdf format and looked through it, but I still want the paper versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEd View Post
Another thing: Did your Fuse come with the silver tool to remove the false lug nut covers needed to remove the wheel covers? Also did it come with the slim blue funnel that can be used to fuel the Fuse at truck stops where the nozzles are often too big to fit the Transit filler tube? There is a small storage compartment on the passenger side under the passenger seat....they are often kept there. If totally missing, you need to advise your dealer....especially for the wheel cover nut removal tool.
I have a lug nut wrench, but it was in the glove box with something called a 2018 Transit Incomplete Vehicle Manual. This is a short paper document of 39 pages giving general information for Transit Cutaway, Transit Chassis cab and Transit van and wagons. It basically contains structural information, conformity statements (ie, this vehicle conforms to the following standards), emission certification information and the like. It is not a users manual.

No blue funnel and no user manual, although I have not checked under the passenger seat. No one suggested looking there. I will have to make another trip to the storage location and check for that as it may well be stored there. It was not in the black bag containing the Winnebago information.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
Ed & Lynn
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 29
Very interesting—- just today this same issue of missing Ford manuals came up on the Facebook Winnebago Fuse Owners Group.....a guy named Mike was complaining he did not get one with his 2018 Fuse 23T. Much discussion ensued.....but bottom line, he contacted his Winnebago dealer and they have ordered one for him.......like they should!
CoastalEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuse


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Observations on a new 2018 Fuse AJMike Winnebago Class C Motorhomes 29 11-10-2018 10:09 AM
DEF message TinStarArabs General Maintenance and Repair 22 03-09-2015 09:47 PM
DEF 46490 General Maintenance and Repair 13 02-13-2015 09:50 PM
Rant '12 Journey DEF tank on wrong side! erstanfo Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 10 08-18-2012 04:00 PM
First DEF Eura coach in the works hitension General Maintenance and Repair 10 09-27-2010 10:33 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.