Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I haven't seen this issue addressed, maybe it's a no-no on this forum. Here goes...We're considering either a new 36GD Horizon or, because of money, a 36G Journey...Since it's impossible to determine Dealer Invoice I'm trying to determine what a REASONABLE price would be based on Factory MSRP. The Consumer RV group thinks that dealer mark-up is somewhere between 28 and 32%. I've made offers of prices of MSRP less 25% and haven't had any luck so far.

Also, I notice that dealers establish a very low ACV on trades, something like 23% less than Kelley Low Book in my case.

Long and short of it is what is your experience on purchasing Winnie/Itasca products. Are there any well known "Good DEal" dealers out there? Or, should we search for a good used Winnie/Itasca?

All comments appreciated.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I haven't seen this issue addressed, maybe it's a no-no on this forum. Here goes...We're considering either a new 36GD Horizon or, because of money, a 36G Journey...Since it's impossible to determine Dealer Invoice I'm trying to determine what a REASONABLE price would be based on Factory MSRP. The Consumer RV group thinks that dealer mark-up is somewhere between 28 and 32%. I've made offers of prices of MSRP less 25% and haven't had any luck so far.

Also, I notice that dealers establish a very low ACV on trades, something like 23% less than Kelley Low Book in my case.

Long and short of it is what is your experience on purchasing Winnie/Itasca products. Are there any well known "Good DEal" dealers out there? Or, should we search for a good used Winnie/Itasca?

All comments appreciated.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sometimes the %'S we hear about have been "streched". If you can find a 25% deal I think you will have done good. This will be mostly on year end units or somewhat into a new model year. It all depends on how bad the dealer wants to sell it, as to what the % off will be. Remember the "deal" is the difference you have to pay. You might try selling your coach yourself.
When I hear X percentage off, I always wonder
off of what? Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

pleeds, I think your percentages are right on the mark. We waited until just after Labor Day when we ordered our coach. There was still quite a few current year coaches on the dealer lot, and over the two months or so that I was visiting/looking (July thru August), the dealer was getting antsy to sell them, so the deals were getting better as we went into the Fall. I also know that Winnie has (or had then) two basic price increases; one in mid-October, the other around April or May. So we got our deal before the October price increase. You're right about the trade in value, I was disappointed that my '88 only brought 23K. I'm sure they resold it around $32K or more. As for a good dealer giving good prices, I can't help you there. My dealer dropped the Winnie line early this past Spring. I will say that service is very important, and it's good to establish a positive relationship with a Winnie dealer near you. Unfortunately, it's hard to get if you want service nearby, but you bought the coach elsewhere. I wish that last thought wasn't true, but I hear it from a lot of people.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have an Itasca 2004 36G. It came standard with full body paint and some other upgrade things. Last weekend, I camped next to a new Journey 2005 36G. He told me his full body paint was $7,500 on the MSRP sheet. He said he got $20,000 off MSRP plus a real good trade also.

When a trade is involved, things get tough to sort out -- which helps the dealer.

At one time, a dealer in Montana, advertised Meridian/Journey at about 27% off, but you had to do a factory order. When I bought my unit (a factory order) I talked to my local dealer - Berryland Motors in Pontchatoula LA, and they came up with close to the same deal.

After owning the rig for a bit over a year and having 15,000 miles on it now... I would say
don't discount the value of a good local dealer.

Berryland has been really great with us. Not that we had any major problems, but the little nit picking ones need fixing too. Choose a good brand and a good dealer to buy from.

Berryland has a small on site campground as part of their service and new rig delivery. They will let you camp there for the first few nights at no charge as part of the rig purchase.

Walt
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Trade-ins do muddy the waters. We didn't have to worry about that last year, as we'd never had an RV before. However....if/when you decide what model you DO want, search the 'net for dealers that may have the same thing. Some dealers post MSRP and you can get a reasonable comparison of price. That's what we did...and ended up getting a darn good deal -- at the local dealer!

Rose
Old 07-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I purchased an itasca meridian in 04 in mass and recieved 25% off. Keep in mind when negotiating discounts you will only get wholesale on your trade which computes to roughly 75% of retail.
cmaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When I bought my new 36G (2005) I was trading in a class C coach. In order not to muddy up the water I asked the dealer to give me a "hard number" for my trade and then we can deal on the MSRP of the Journey.

I have mine pretty much loaded, (leather, stainless, full body paint, 350 turbo cat, allison 6 speed trans ect...) I was able to get 23.8% off the MSRP at my local dealer. I was more than willing to take that deal because he was "local" and I had bought 2 previous coaches from them and the service was great. Some told me I should have tried for a straight 25% off but I thought this was a win-win for the dealer and I.

Trades muddy up the water alot. Either try and sell on your own or ask for a seperate deal on the trade and don't tie it in to the new coach.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have seen the invoice prices for the Adverture and the Journey a few times in the past few years. It has stayed a constant 71.2% of the list. That works for the options as well. I am told it works the same way as cars. The dealer is getting other money back, like floorplan and hold back.

We bought this one from Flagg RV in W. Boylston, MA. We were pleased with the deal and the service.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys...
As usual you provided good info...

DW and I will wait 'til a rainy Saturday in Nov. or Dec. to try to swing a deal on last years model. That is, unless we stumble into a good used Horizon or Journey...or maybe a Meridian.

Thanks again for your input.