Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Lippert schwintek slide mechanism

Front lower corner of my full slide will not go in all the way. Dealer says I have a broken gear onthat motor and suggest I replace the whole unit with a low profile slide at a cost of $3000. Cant i just replace the broken gear?
Hogmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you know why the gear broke/stripped? How does the track look?

I would think (dangerous, I know) all you would have to do is replace the faulty parts, but then again I'm not in retail!

Others who are more knowledgeable about this system will weigh in; let us know what happens/what you decide.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Howdy neighbor(ish).
It COULD be that he's trying to upgrade you to a less problematic slide mechanism.
It could also be that he's trying to make an 'easy' $3k.
It could also be that your slide motors are simply out of synch and therefore the slide is crooked in the hole. Check youtube for how to synch the motors (it's easy to do, basically you just run it in and out a few times).
Like you, it seems to me that you should be able to replace just the broken part, but without seeing it and know more about it I couldn't say for sure.
Can you get a picture of the broken part?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Have you called Lippert directly? I just had my slide worked on today at their service center in Goshen, IN. They replaced a motor and lubed everything up and they work great. The service tech said they travel all over the country working on units.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Does this help at all?

https://youtu.be/FfUutwwLL7o
Old 07-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can view information on the system thru the Winnebago supplier links on winnebagoind.com I think I would get a second opinion. You might consider making a service appointment with Winnegabo in Forest City IA, they have a LOT of experience repairing Winnebagos that have had LCI Swintek slide system failures. $ 3000 does not sound reasonable for one slide. I would think well under $ 2000.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Time to run from that dealer. You probably need a new motor plus install. The motor is $300? or so and the install is $100 or so. You can buy the motor on Amazon and do the install yourself if handy. Go to an independent or drive to Lippert.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There is a controller box for the Schwintek. You have to find it, and it could be in a cabinet or even on the ceiling of a bay compartment. The instructions for reset are located on the controller. Once you have the light on the controller blinking you go back inside and run the slide all the way in. Be very careful as using this method over-rides all safety mechanisms for the slide. You can bread something very easily.

I'm not sure if it is in the manual but with Schwintek when moving the slide in or out you have to continue to hold the switch for a minimum of 5 seconds after the slide stops. This is to keep the motors in sync. This is what Lippert will tell you should you ask them.

WIth your 2015 model you could have Schwintek racks which look like a serpantine or you could have Power Gear racks that look like rack and pinion. Some Mfgs switched to the Power Gear rack and pinion because of the schwintek problems, however the synchronization is the same and the motor and controller can be the same,

If you call Lippert they will give you information on the nearest facility and they will give you any information on you system including how to use the reset.

I have both types racks. The big kitchen side had one side not coming or going as it was supposed to. I had to use the reset/override until I could get to a repair place. That slide was rack and pinion with the Schwintek controller. It took the repair facility less than an hour to replace the weak motor.

Some additional info I just found:

Never stop a slide and change directions as it messes up the memory. Always go full out or full in. If you have to stop make sure you continue in the same direction.

The memory program works on RPM’s and if one is at 98rpms and the other motor is at 100 it will only get worse and will require re-learning

This might help:(Just found it) In-Wall Slide-Out Service Manual
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Another possibility is the shaft between the top and bottom gear is twisted. If so the slide would also be off the same amount when out.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We had repeated problems with a
Schwintek kitchen slide doing the same thing! One guy came out smoothed a burr(?) off the rail teeth and re-aligned the motors by running it all the way out then all the way in seven times. We were admonished to always go all the way whichever way we were going. Worked till it didn't, again, this time stuck in. We can live with that slide in and we're on our way to the GNR at Forest City. It was #1 on our list to fix. We were going to bite the bullet and pay the bill cuz they don't do extended warranty work during rally time. They replaced EVERYTHING concerning the movement of that slide including the rails No Charge!! Told us it was a bad design. Yeeehaaa! We have not had any issue with it since and we are full time! Goshen or Forest City would be my recommendation.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have the schwinntek slides on our winnebago sightseers 30. We also have a failure with the linear track being stripped on both lower slides. The motor and connecting rod were ok. As it turns out winnebago over-specced the schwinntek parts. Our failure was the second failure on our Sightseer. Lee
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 journey and have 3 of those slides. After having the large kitchen slide rebuilt, i ordered two ‘slide locks’ that prevent the slide from moving, 2 years later and slide still operates as new. I am convinced the gears really move little weight during operation, but to hold these large rooms in place going down the road, that’s where the damage is done. Winnebago provides these room locks with the ‘Tour’ btw. You have literally 2 teeth on each of the four drive gears that hold that heavy slide in place,, add the locks or piece of wood and I feel they will last a very long time. Note: we attach the KEY to the slide lock on one of the locks so it has to removed to get the key(prevent opening with locks in place)
DrDispatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We did have one our Swintech slide mechanisms replace at Forest City and it was under $2K. PowerGear unit replaced the Swintech which was not heavy duty enough for our 18ft slide with all the appliances in it. Definitely get a second opinion and definitely call Lippert tech support line. They have always been very helpful and stayed on the line as long as need to diagnose and either resolve the problem or identify next steps. Good Luck
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmad View Post
Front lower corner of my full slide will not go in all the way. Dealer says I have a broken gear onthat motor and suggest I replace the whole unit with a low profile slide at a cost of $3000. Cant i just replace the broken gear?

Hogmad, did you get your slide fixed?
Old 11-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #15
rightleftdyslexic

2013 Journey 36M Full Slide Issue

Seems like we have a similar issue.
Our full slide goes in and out and makes no unusual sounds that we can hear while inside the coach or outside standing near the corner having the issue. The lower front corner of the slide is pushing the screws that hold the cover to the body of the RV out as the slide-out is retracted into the RV. When the slide is pushed out there is no pressure against the screws.
I spoke with tech support at Lippert (SP?) and they felt that the slide mechanism was out of adjustment and I should take measurements top, middle, bottom of slide front and rear with slide 3/4 out. If the measurements are off I needed to lift the motor and the drive shaft out of the lower track than reinstall.
Here are the measurements:
3/4 out Full out
Rear top: 11 3/16" 16 1/16"
Rear middle: 11 1/8" 15 15/16"
(37 1/4" down from top):
Rear bottom: 11 3/16" 16"

Based on these measurements I don't believe the slide is out of aliment. I checked with Winnebago tech support to find out what the measurement specs are for this slide out and they really don't have any. They stated that the inside trim should be pushed up against the wall of the RV top to bottom front and back. I can get my fingers between the slide trim and the wall but the space is even front and back top and bottom.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Injpg.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	172432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full_Wall_Slide_Out.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	172433  

Joeantolik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Have you reset the controller and operated the slide manually?
The instructions are on the controller. This will sync the motors.

Be careful using the manual override as all safety switches are OFF.
Never let the slide get more than 2" out of sync.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
rightleftdyslexic

Thanks for replying Wayne

I have not tried that yet. I need to understand why the screws are being pushed out of the bottom front corner. I am hoping that someone on the forum has seen this before and can explain the cause and fix.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I would suspect that at some point the slide was completely out of sync and exceeded the 2" maximum out of sync and caused those screws to pop.

See my post #8 on the information I received from Lippert. There is a definite sequence to go through. When I purchased our new to us 2015 I was not told about the information to keep the slide working properly. I had to have the motor replaced and at that time received all the information on how to properly operate the slide. It's been a few years now, and knocking on wood, no further problems.

Let us know how it goes after syncing and if that solved the problem.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #19
rightleftdyslexic

I have printed the PDF you included from Lippert (thank you) in post #8. I will be following the direction to sync the slide.
May be a few weeks before I get to it with Thanksgiving coming up. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Good luck Joe. I hope re-syncing it does the trick.

Tags
lippert, slide