Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Air brakes sticking when parked after rain -- Journey 36M

Just curious if other Freightliner chassis owners have seen this.
When I drive home in the rain, pull in the garage and park, leave it sitting 2 or 3 weeks then the next time I go to leave, release the parking brake, put in drive and nothing happens. Then depress the accelerator and a loud pop, bang from the rear brakes and we start moving.

I assume this is just the pads rusting to the disks. Have others had this issue?

I live in the pacific NW so driving in the rain is part of the routine 4 months of the year.

Ed
Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep, had it happen on both our 2002 Dutch Star on FL chassis and on the 2002 Dutch Star on Spartan. Both had drum brakes. For some reason it happened more often on the FL chassis.
Haven't had it happen with the present rig but it has disk brakes all the way around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What you describe is very common. The brakes get wet in the rain and since they are a sintered metal composite, they will corrode to the brake drums when contact is allowed for long periods of time. Being parked after a rain with the E-Brake engaged for a few weeks will do just that. All shoe brakes are designed to apply maximum engagement while in forward motion. However that engagement is significantly less in reverse. That said, the next time this happens, it is easier to dislodge the corrosion contact in reverse rather than trying to do it in drive.

Dan
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Good advise about freeing the brakes in reverse. But, I thought the 2012 had disks all around. Could be wrong.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
What you describe is very common. The brakes get wet in the rain and since they are a sintered metal composite, they will corrode to the brake drums when contact is allowed for long periods of time. Being parked after a rain with the E-Brake engaged for a few weeks will do just that. All shoe brakes are designed to apply maximum engagement while in forward motion. However that engagement is significantly less in reverse. That said, the next time this happens, it is easier to dislodge the corrosion contact in reverse rather than trying to do it in drive.

Dan
Well said, the first time I experienced this, we had been in a CG for a couple weeks and of course when I pulled ahead I had to accelerate more than usual and bang. From then on, I always go into reverse for a foot or so and then pull ahead. No more bang.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

It's a rare time when I back my coach from its storage spot that I don't get a giant groan out of the brakes while going in reverse. Stops after it's been on the road a few minutes. Since we're in Florida it's always wet
Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

This happened to me last week. The Freightliner manual addresses it. The manual advises to check the wheels and release the brakes when you park after driving in rain.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
This happened to me last week. The Freightliner manual addresses it. The manual advises to check the wheels and release the brakes when you park after driving in rain.
"check" = "chock" I think.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Freightliner via 1-800-FTL-HELP recommends really slamming on the brake pedal as if in an emergency panic situation. I know it seems counter intuitive but it works. He also said it helps if you can park/put it away dry. I told him I live in the PNW that isn't a option.

They strongly recommend against rocking it between drive and reverse.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Mr D, yes. This danged IRV2 Android app changes spelling all the time. I missed catching it this time. I did mean chocked.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies.
As to chocking the wheels and leaving hte parking brake off, the dashboard alarm goes off and the LCD display shows parking brake not set with the key in or removed.

'll try slamming on the brake pedal next time it happens.

Ed
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Glad I found the answer same thing happened to me
JourneyWinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
.... But, I thought the 2012 had disks all around. Could be wrong...
Front disk, rear drum--here's the Built On Freightliner info for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Ride the brakes the last 1/4 mile, to get them HOT before parking. That will dry them out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I live in the Pacific NW and had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I had my "new to me" coach at the shop for a thorough check-up and when I went to pick it up, I stepped on the foot brake, released the park brake, put it in "D" and nothing happened. Usually, at idle, the coach will gently move forward but not this time. I pressed harder on the accelerator and heard a loud "POP" as the coach lurched forward. Almost scared the poopoo out of me until I realized that the brakes hadn't released.

Thanks for the tip about putting it in reverse.

Tags
journey, brakes, air brakes, brake