Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005-06 Vectra/Horizon 36

I'm seriously considering leaving the fifth wheel for a used class A diesel pusher; particularly a 2005-06 Vectra 36RD.
Could those of you that own 2005-06 Vectra/horizon 36 footers, could you please answer a few questions for me?
As an owner of one, what would you tell a prospective buyer of a used one to look for particular to this model?
Of course, I wonder if I'm foolish to purchase a coach 8 years old.
We live in FL and camp a lot in 90 degree+ temps. Will the basement central air keep us cool enough....75-78 degrees in the day and 70 and night? I have heard of some concerns about basement air not being able to keep-up.
Is the Cat C7 easy to maintain as far as regular maintenance...we do a lot of our own on our vehicles and current diesel pick-up?
Is the C7 adequate for the coach and especially when towing a dinghy?
I know MPG is very subjective, however, what kind of mileage are you getting and under what conditions?
I really appreciate your time and help. Thanks,
Phillip Jacksonville, FL
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I'm seriously considering leaving the fifth wheel for a used class A diesel pusher; particularly a 2005-06 Vectra 36RD.
Could those of you that own 2005-06 Vectra/horizon 36 footers, could you please answer a few questions for me?
As an owner of one, what would you tell a prospective buyer of a used one to look for particular to this model?
Of course, I wonder if I'm foolish to purchase a coach 8 years old.
We live in FL and camp a lot in 90 degree+ temps. Will the basement central air keep us cool enough....75-78 degrees in the day and 70 and night? I have heard of some concerns about basement air not being able to keep-up.
Is the Cat C7 easy to maintain as far as regular maintenance...we do a lot of our own on our vehicles and current diesel pick-up?
Is the C7 adequate for the coach and especially when towing a dinghy?
I know MPG is very subjective, however, what kind of mileage are you getting and under what conditions?
I really appreciate your time and help. Thanks,
Phillip Jacksonville, FL
We had a '05 Vectra 40FD. I was not impressed with the basement A/C in hot weather. But the coach you are looking at is smaller, less air to cool.

The bolts that hold the basement compartments on have a history of breaking. Anyone who has this style coach needs to keep an eye on them.

I am not a fan of Cat so I can't comment with an open mind.

The age of the coach is not a problem. How it was maintained is.

I was not impressed with the electrical. The house battery system seemed to be too small for what it was expected to do. I had inverter and battery troubles too often. The modified sine wave inverter that is standard is NOT a good idea. What ever coach you get make the inverter a high priority. If it needs a pure sine wave upgrade, do it.

The Freightliner chassis is great but the independent front suspension seemed a bit fussy to get aligned correctly. I always had a pull and the tires wore funny. I don't know for certain if the Blue Ox TruCenter steering stabilizer will work on the IFS. It is a great upgrade if it will. Love mine on this coach.

We had a leak in the bed slide. It was in the roof seems and only the factory could repair the damage done by all of the failed attempts by many Winne service centers. Look for dark spots in the ceiling that don't wipe off. Don't buy the rig if you find any. Mold is growing and water is the problem.

Over all we did not like the Vectra. The furniture was not comfortable and the storage space in the living area was very limited. The basement is small by design and weight must be considered in each compartment.

The standard RV refrigerator will always have its issues. They loose life when often run off level for instance. And they are all prone to fires.

With all of this said, you can see many of the reasons we changed homes. We love this coach. It has its own issues but it is easier to live in and with. The quality control from the factory is not as nice as the Vectra but the overall functioning of the coach is far superior.

You asked and I spoke. I hope others with a better experience speak up. I really don't like to rain on ones parade.

Happy hunting.

Rick Y
Old 12-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

jdpm,
Well Sir, we have exactly what you're looking at only, one year older. Ours is the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. We purchased the coach right at 3.5 years ago with 40K on the clock then. It now has 52K on it. It's been a really good coach. Yes, we've had a few issues, a new radiator, some bearings replaced in the basement air motor support, a bedroom slide ram replaced, a new rotor and stator in the 7.5QD Onan generator replaced and, I had to replace the stock, 2000 watt Dimensions inverter due to the battery charging circuit pooped out.

But, if you look at each of those repairs/replacements, they're NOT Itasca. Those were contributors to the building of that coach. Those same components or, repair parts, could and have broken on other makes and models of coaches. As far as the actual coach and or anything broken that's theirs, I did have to rebuild a couple of drawers in the inside due to the staples coming out. No biggie at all.

We've had great times in that coach and will continue to have them. As far as the basement A/C is concerned, that subject has been talked about only a few thousand times on here and other RV forums. The last time it was reviewed, by far the majority were more happy with the basement A/C than the roof top units. That included opinions on the noise factor and, cooling factor.

A/C in a motor home is always a chore. Motor homes just don't have the insulation that a residential stick and brick place has so, any A/C unit, be it roof or basement, will work harder in warmer and more humid weather. Ours works good. If we are in warmer weather, as in say, 100 degrees, and we start it up later in the day, it will have to work pretty hard to bring the inside down to around 80-82 but, it will do it. Most of your A/C techs will tell you that a 20 degree difference between the ambient temp outside and the inside temp is to be expected with, some models/years being a bit more or less efficient.

We've had coaches with dual roof top A/Cs and, again, we prefer the basement A/C.

Now, in reference to being "foolish" in purchasing an almost 10 year old coach, well, that's entirely up to you. As many know on here and other RV forums, "Older-nicer" is better than "Newer-cheaper". Our fit and trim is very, very good. The cabinetry is top notch. We have a couch and a love seat arrangement. It works great for us. The love seat also incorporates a storage drawer under it. As far as storage on the outside, I personally think it's great.

Although, I'm a bit different than many RV guys. I've taken the time to set up all the compartments with shelves, brackets, mounting systems to better utilize every cubic inch of each compartment. And, I don't carry a ton of junk. Everything in our compartments is used, quite frequently.

Anyway, you asked of the CAT engine. Well, all I can say is, it's been a great power plant to date. I do all the maintenance. Oil and fuel filter changes, trans oil change to Transynd, brake inspections, hub seal replacement, radiator replacement and much more. Our particular C-7 has only ONE fuel filter, at the back of the coach. Models before and after, have two fuel filters. CAT ceased to be involved in "over the road" engines a couple of years after what you're looking at. It was a business decision for them. Cummins has taken the lions share of the market since then. It's been a reliable engine. Some have had HEUI pump issues but, I'm not sure of the percentage based on just how many HEUI equipped engines are in operation out there.

As far as fuel mileage is concerned, well, I always crack up at that subject. We're all driving CEMENT TRUCKS and expect MILEAGE! Yeah sure. Some claim in the high 9s and low 10s but ours, in all honesty and reality, it hovers between 7-8 for about 98% of its travels with a rare occasional 8.5 but, that's really, really rare for me. We tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab that hauls a Rampage motorcycle lift/carrier and, carries a 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back.

So, we're dragging around with us, about 6500 lbs. We just completed a 4,000 mile trip from Lake Havasu City AZ, all the way to Forrest City IA for the GNR of Winne and Itasca and back, and that coach towed that setup flawlessly and, like stated, it actually hit the 8.5 mpg a few times. Sure it will slow up on some grades, but, about 99.99% of the coaches out there do the same.

I personally think you'd be making a wise choice in looking at those models/years. All coaches will have issues. Some less, some more. Some sooner, some later. Some have better quality construction, some less quality. I think Winne and Itasca do a very good job in those areas. Would we choose another Winne/Itasca in the future, you bet. We have the straight axle'd front end and it goes straight down the road.

We also have the HWH 625 Computer controlled, Automatic Leveling system that works flawless. I enter a spot, pick my particular position and, shut the rig down and hit the leveling button twice. At that point, I hop out and watch it do its thing. That system has been a great system.

Anyway, I've done a fair amount of repairs, adjustments, checks etc. so, If I can be of any help, surely PM me and I'd be glad to assist.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have had my 2005 Horizon 36RD for about a year having traded my 2006 Journey 34H for it. I agree with everything the previous poster had to say and will add a couple of things.
1. First of all, you are probably finding out that the 36 ft. Version of the Horizon/Vectra are very rare! I see one come up for sale every six months or so.
2. All Winnebago and Monaco products in the time frame you are looking at have issues with delamination of the gel oat in those areas where the paint is dark in color and have been exposed to significant UV light. My Journey came from Arizona and had significant crazing on it. You will not see it at distances greater than 5 ft. But look for it when you buy. Repainting will not correct the issue.
3. Most people say that the Cat engine is pretty trouble free as long as it gets regular maintenance, so check the previous owners records for regular oil changes, etc.
4. I love the floor plan and have added some extra cabinetry. I feel we have plenty of storage. As an aside, the dishwasher addition takes away an extra drawer under the stovetop and also takes away significant storage under the sink. In my opinion, it is not worth sacrificing that much storage.
5. My mileage hovers around 6.9 to 7.5. I am a little heavier than the GD version.
6. Speaking of weight, my Horizon travels down the road at its maximum allowable weight. I am careful not to fill the water tanks before travel. Weight is an issue.
7. You will find that the AC and heat work best in the rear of the mh. The forced air just has harder time getting up front.
8. If you are looking at coaches that were based in warm, humid environments, pay special attention to the ceiling. It is quite common in these coaches to have the foam under the vinyl break down allowing the vinyl to droop down. Look carefully for any air pockets beneath the vinyl on the ceiling. I have replaced my entire ceiling because of this and can testify that it not a pleasant job!
9. The other problem area in these years are fogging of the double pane windows. They are about $200 per window to have them taken apart and resealed so look closely.

All in all, I love the coach. I have extensively upgraded the entire interior and have a lot of pride in her. I would be happy to help you in any upgrading you may decide to do.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hey Bruce,
Just wondering. You say you're running a bit heavier than our "GD" version, correct? The GAWR of the rear is, 17,500 lbs. The GAWR of the front is, 10,410 lbs. So, the GVWR is, 27,910 lbs.

When I weighed it in prep for adding a Hydralift to the rear, it was loaded for a trip, full fuel, water, tools, chairs, everything, including the two of us. It came in at, 16,900 for the rear, 9280 for the front for a total of, 26,120 lbs.

So, I was just wondering if your figures are close to or, over those? I'm kind-a assuming that your axle weight ratings "SHOULD" be the same as ours, based on the size etc. of the coach, make and model. But, you know what "assume" means
Scott
Old 12-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here are the factory numbers for my 36RD (built in Jan/Feb '05):

GAWR Front 10,410
GAWR Rear 19,000
GVWR 29,410
GCWR 39,410

The original 255/80/22.5 LRG tires were in fact the GAWR limiting factor. When I went to 275/70/22.5 LRH tires I gave myself a good bit more margin (even though the legal ratings don't actually change) as well as a better ride since I could run at a lower tire pressure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here are my actual weights. These weights were taken by Freightliner in Gaffney with the coach fully loaded but nobody in the mh. Granted we were carrying a lot of clothing, tools, etc since we were transitioning from our winter home to the summer one.
4980 LF
5160 RF
9160 LR
10060 RR
As you can see, I will be at max on the front axle with two people in the front seat but 200 pounds over on the rear. As I recall, I had about a third tank of grey water and black water and a third tank of fresh water and full fuel.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I thank those of you who responded with your detailed accounts. Very helpful info. We were kind of interested in a shorter rig but maybe we should go with a 40 footer after all. Thanks! Phillip
Old 12-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I thank those of you who responded with your detailed accounts. Very helpful info. We were kind of interested in a shorter rig but maybe we should go with a 40 footer after all. Thanks! Phillip
jdpm,
Of course only you can and should, make that decision as to what length you'll be happy with. I would however, do a close-comparison between say a 36' Horizon ('04 or newer) and a 40' unit. You'll have to determine if the added length is appropriate for you and, when, where and how much, you'll be in it and using it. I can speak from experience that cruising around many campgrounds and certain RV parks, a 36' unit was pretty tight in many turns and backing situations.

I've driven 42'-45' Fire trucks for most my life and am used to handling that kind of vehicle length. The 36' unit has plenty of roof for us two, and plenty of storage. The smart but almost impossible thing for you to do would be to have a 40' and a 36' unit parked side by side and then you could really do some hands on comparing without trying to remember what was in or not in or on, each unit. Good luck.
Scott
Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

jdpm you are getting a lot of good information from us because you are willing to ask. Here is what you need to consider above anything else. What floor plan do you like the most? Once you are set on that then choose the rest of the coach. You will have to compromise in some cases so set your priorities. This will help in the weeding out process.

Another thing to remember (or know). When you buy used some things have a life limit: tires, 5 to 7 years; air filter, 3 to 5 years; propane regulator, 3 to 5 years...

If you buy a diesel be certain to get the maintenance records and examine them BEFORE you buy. Then physically look at the coach. If the oil filter was just changed it should be clean all the way to the base. Fuel and water separator the same. Was the air dryer serviced at the correct interval? The air filter age and condition is most important. That is one of the #1 turbo killers. You could even have fluid samples provided to you and send them to a lab (I use Blackstone Labs Blackstone Labs) for analysis. Much can be learned about the condition of the engine, transmission and cooling systems this way.

Have fun getting ready to have fun.

Rick Y
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who responded. I have decided that I am not going to buy a coach of this age. I'm going to stick to a 2011 or newer rig and maybe even a gasser. Floor plan and livability is extremely important especially coming from my current fiver with an awesome plan.
Thanks again, safe travels, and Happy Holidays. Phillip