Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unwanted heat

Hello all,
We've only had our '04 Adventurer (35U, WH) out on two trips, both around 500 mi. The first trip this didn't happen, but the 2nd one, I noticed heat coming through the floor vents when the engine was up to full operating temp. I did not have the furnace on, in fact I was running the dash air with temp knob as cold as it goes. It got so hot in the coach (it was a hot day anyway), I stopped, started the genset to turn on the house air, and still had hot air coming through all the floor ducts. Does anyone know if this coach is designed to route engine heat through the floor vents? If so, does it sound like there might be a valve stuck open in the system?
thanks, Rod
Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
There is a heat exchanger, called a Motor Aid that takes heat from the engine to heat the house. There should be a fan control on your dashboard that controls it. Make sure the switch is off. I cannot remember how it is labeled, but it should have fan in the description with a high and low setting. That's what my Suncruiser had.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree about the "house heat" switch - in addition when it's really hot no dash air is going keep your coach cool - I've always had to run the generator and the house air to get it to a relatively comfortable level.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Our's is labeled "Rear Heat" . . . we found it on a return to home trip last summer when the roof air couldn't keep us cool . . . it's a 4-position (OFF - High) switch . . . we think the dog stepped on sometime over the weekend. I check it frequently now!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The only switch on the dash is labled "coach heat" and it's a rocker type switch that's either high or low, no off. My thought is if the temp control is turned all the way to the cold side, why am I still getting so much heat out of the ducts? Also, I never intended the dash air to do anything but blow a little cold air on our faces, my point was that I didn't have it set to heat. Something has changed because our first trip out it did not do this and I haven't done anything different.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If your system is like mine the temperature control does not stop engine coolant from circulating through the auxiliary system as it heats the hot water heater also. I have a flapper on my aux heater that only opens up when the blower is running. If the motor does not shut off or the flapper is stuck open you will have heat in the registers.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
The only switch on the dash is labled "coach heat" and it's a rocker type switch that's either high or low, no off.
the top position on my coach heat switch is high, the middle is off and the bottom is low. when i remove the register just behind the doghouse, i can feel the coach heater flapper check valve inside the duct behind the passenger seat. my flapper check valve was sticking open.
my water temperature control valve would not shut off completely causing warm air to come out of the dash vents all the time.
i replaced my water temp control valve. my valve is vacuum controlled, no electric wires run to it. some folks call this the ''evans valve''. yours may be different.
see my previous post for info on the valve part number and details on replacing this valve.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Don, I didn't realize that the middle position on that switch was off.
Also, I didn't know that the dash temp control didn't have any thing to do with the heat coming through the ducts. I'm a little slow but I'm learning!! Thanks for sharing your experience!
Rod
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan, my "coach heat" switch was on low and I didn't think to turn it to the middle postion!#$%&!! My dad used to say when the car don't run, see if there is gas in the tank. Should'a listened to him more!!
Rod
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
Thanks Dan, my "coach heat" switch was on low and I didn't think to turn it to the middle postion!#$%&!! My dad used to say when the car don't run, see if there is gas in the tank. Should'a listened to him more!!
Rod
you are welcome, and welcome to this forum.
pretty soon you will be answering questions also.
these machines can be frustrating.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Switchology is something to be in awe of. The people who lable the switches are a different breed from the users of the world. When I first began my flying career with the airlines I became aware of the nomenclature of switches. On the DC 8 we actually had indicator lights on the engineers panel that when the item failed the indicator light would go OUT. You can imagine on a dark night with the lights turned down real low and the item fails, you would not notice. Another one that takes getting used to is the HWH levelor panel. The arrows are the exact opposite from what I would have used. To me the arrows should represent the jack not the MH as in do you want to extend the jack down? Press the down arrow. But I didn't get to name the switch so the arrows are the MH which doesn't make any sense since there is only one MH but four jacks and four arrows. I will so rename my THREE way rocker switch to now have an off position. Thanks for the info.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

"To me the arrows should represent the jack not the MH as in do you want to extend the jack down?"

I thought the same thing!! When I tried to explain how the jacks worked to my wife, I had to keep saying mh up, mh down, NOT jack up, jack down! silly