Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unwanted guest

2012 Itaska Suncrusier 37F, new rig for us3 months ago. we had a mouse visit, cannot find his point of entry. The electric trap did it's job. Anyone have this pleasure?
Denispg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can't say I've had the pleasure getting caught in an electric mouse trap. Nor being an unwanted guest.
Sorry, couldn't help that!!
Nope, no mice yet.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This is a problem that seems to be common. I think prevention is a must. There are threads on this sight, I believe. I have multiple traps in my rv shed to catch them before they get in. I have used dryer sheets and ultrasonic devises inside my motor home. Also I put traps inside the cargo bay when it's parked for any length of time (they need to be checked often). In the past when I stored my campers in a pole shed I had massive issues. If poison is used prepare for dead mice in the walls. This is not something that makes for fun camping. Aggressive prevention works best for me. Also you might want to check under sinks etc. for opens around pipes and use spray foam to plug obvious entrance points. Good luck!
77littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

There are lots of mice where my son lives in AZ, he puts shavings from bars of Irish Spring around all his tires and that seems to work very well,the mice do not like the Irish Spring. He does this twice a year on his vehicles that are parked awaiting rebuilding. When we park our MH I plan on doing the same thing.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:

No I haven't had mouse problems. Now I bet I just jinxed myself.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had mice coming in through a small hole in the compartment under the dinette bench. The hole is in the floor near the outside wall and is used for wiring I believe. I sprayed insulation foam in the hole and haven't had a mouse problem since. That was about five years ago.
cydonia-jacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mice do not like the smell of peppermint oil. Buy some at a health store, put some on cotton balls, put the cotton balls in plastic jar lids, then place the "assembly" wherever you think there might be entry access for critters. A side benefit is that your RV will smell very nice.

Make sure you get peppermint oil, not oil of peppermint!! They are NOT the same.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good info but I thought this thread was going to be about family.

Robert
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No mice yet, but we spent a couple of nights in a very remote campground a few weeks ago and picked up a frog that is still with us. Can't find him anywhere, but we hear him in the morning.
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I placed rat N mouse poison in cubbyholes all over our MH, if any mice do get in they leave_ permanently.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

"Good info but I thought this thread was going to be about family. "
Funny, me too!
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I keep a simple mousetrap set with peanut butter or cheese in one of our compartments. Mice have such an amazing sense of smell that they always seem to go right to it, so I don't need to set multiple traps. Surprisingly, traveling down the road doesn't set the trap off. I have a body count of 2 for the past couple of years, and no indication that there are any more of the buggers in our coach. I wouldn't mind having that frog on board, I like waking up to nature sounds!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have used a product called "cab fresh" it was developed for the cabs of combines and other harvest type equipment in the Dakotas . I have put the packets in my classic cars and the trailers I have owned in the past and last year I put 2 packets at opposite ends of our new to us motorhome. We have never had mice in any of our vehicles or rvs. It is an all natural product and is a deterrent. That means no dead mice in the rv. It costs about $3.00 per packet and needs to be changed out each year.
oldsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I will certainly try this cure. Thanks
Denispg is offline   Reply With Quote