Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Location of SWM splitter and power inserter

Just swapped out the factory installed DirecTV version of Winegard Travel'r for the Dish Network version. I got the new LNB arm and reflector installed and reprogrammed the Winegard control box and confirmed all this works with a coax cable draped in a window to my receiver. Trouble is I need to remove the power inserter and SWM splitter Winnebago will have installed somewhere between the Satellite Dish on the roof and the satellite connection plate in the entertainment center area and I didn't find it in any easily accessible locations! Rather than tearing things apart looking for it I thought someone might know where they will have put those and have simple instructions on getting access to remove those two things and simply connect the coax from the dish on the roof to the coax that connects out to my receiver. I have a 2015 Adventurer 35P. Thanks for your help!!!
Robhobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't know, but I doubt that Winnebago uses SWM/power inserter technology on their motorhomes. On my Directv Traveler, I have the standard four satellite connections at my equipment box, just as in a home situation.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

OK, just looked at the latest Winegard info, and they do use SWM. Sorry for the misinformation.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's the Audio/Video System Diagram for your coach, in case it helps.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dish change over.

Robhobart, been there done that, it is in the front upper cabinets right side behind the brown panel (4 screws). You will need to connect the orange and double orange cables together. see attached pictures. You will also need to add a short coax jumper at the satellite plate under the TV get the dish signal to the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish change 1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	83314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish change 2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	83315  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Robhobart, been there done that, it is in the front upper cabinets right side behind the brown panel (4 screws). You will need to connect the orange and double orange cables together. see attached pictures. You will also need to add a short coax jumper at the satellite plate under the TV get the dish signal to the bedroom.
Thank you! So I don't need to remove the power inserter and splitter !? I don't have any unconnected cables and I have "double orange" and "four orange" coax in my space but not single orange... I'll experiment and see if connecting two to four solves it! Appreciate your help!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Robhobart, you do need to remove the Power inserter and the splitter then reconnect the 2 cables from the dish and the 2 cables going to the entertainment center sat plate together.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dish change

Robhobart, here is a quick sketch. The two cables at the bottom are from the sat dish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish change 3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	83331  
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you! by the way if anyone wants to know

the splitter and power inserter are behind the TV in the main living space, which can be removed by taking out the three bolts underneath (don't hunt and hope like I did for three hours). I agree with grtharris sketch...it's exactly correct. I actually simply hard wired the coax directly from one of the incoming lines to the back of my receiver rather than going through the connection plate because it would have required digging in to get more access. I'm a little nervous that I've disconnected the regular antenna from the tv but since I have the dongle that in theory puts the regular antenna into the dish receiver once I get that set up ...or rather if... then I shouldn't care. And in general if I'm watching TV I'll be on satellite so no big deal. In hindsight I would have hired a pro for the job but all's well that ends well!!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Robhobart, sorry about the miss direction about the location, like I said mine was up front in the right side cabinet. I guess they saved running the extra coax back to the TV. The OTA antenna does come in handy sometimes Dish turned off our local feed for CBS yesterday.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Do you know how many years back this system was used? We had a different problem involving the SWM splitter with our 2013 Adventurer. When we installed the satellite receiver we could only get about half the stations we get on the televisions at home. We talked at length with a technical person at Direct TV. He finally determined we needed an SWM splitter. He sent us one no charge and everything's been working fine since then. I wonder if there's one from the factory lying in the cabinet behind the panel that never got hooked up?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, the SWM splitter is only installed as part of the factory installed Winegard Travel'r satellite system. Which only comes setup for DirecTV.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hikerdogs, the SWM splitter is only installed as part of the factory installed Winegard Travel'r satellite system. Which only comes setup for DirecTV.
We ordered the Winegard Trav'ler as an option and it was installed at the factory. It took us a couple months to work through the setup. Our original receiver wasn't HD capable so we had to order a new one. Even after it was installed we only got about 1/2 the normal channels and no local channels.

It's now obvious the sales people at the dealership weren't familiar with the new entertainment system. When we picked up the motorhome I was told all the hardware was there, but I needed to supply the cables to and from the components to the various televisions. There was even a list of the type and length cables needed furnished by Winnebago.

Close inspection revealed the only cables missing were to and from the DirecTV receiver. When I installed them along with the proper receiver we did get a few channels.

I went through all sorts of programing efforts to try to get the missing channels, when the DirecTV tech finally came to the conclusion we were missing a part. They sent it to us at no charge. It took about 5 minutes to install the part, and another 5 minutes to reprogram the system to recognize all the channels.

I never looked in the overhead compartment to see if there was supposed to be a splitter installed. I just "assumed" it was a part that was supposed to be supplied by the customer just like the satellite receiver.

To be fair we happened to order the motorhome at the exact time Winegard was changing its satellite systems. Between the time we ordered the coach and the time we received it the dish had gone obsolete. I think Winnebago was using up the last of the stock on hand before changing to the newer model.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, OK the SWM splitter was laying up front in the right side behind the panel. Where did you end up putting the SWM splitter
You would not believe all of the BS I got when we ordered our coach over the Sat Antenna I found out if the salesmen didn't know he just made stuff up. They really wanted to sell me the antenna and then install it at twice what Winnebago wanted for the factory install.
Good for us I have a friend at Winnebago that help keep things straight.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhobart View Post
Just swapped out the factory installed DirecTV version of Winegard Travel'r for the Dish Network version. I got the new LNB arm and reflector installed and reprogrammed the Winegard control box and confirmed all this works with a coax cable draped in a window to my receiver. Trouble is I need to remove the power inserter and SWM splitter Winnebago will have installed somewhere between the Satellite Dish on the roof and the satellite connection plate in the entertainment center area and I didn't find it in any easily accessible locations! Rather than tearing things apart looking for it I thought someone might know where they will have put those and have simple instructions on getting access to remove those two things and simply connect the coax from the dish on the roof to the coax that connects out to my receiver. I have a 2015 Adventurer 35P. Thanks for your help!!!
Because my internet at this location is SOOO slow I hope I am not repeating what you have been told. Try this diagram: TV/DVD WIRING 184625-03-000

Hope it helps.

Rick Y
Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hikerdogs, OK the SWM splitter was laying up front in the right side behind the panel. Where did you end up putting the SWM splitter
You would not believe all of the BS I got when we ordered our coach over the Sat Antenna I found out if the salesmen didn't know he just made stuff up. They really wanted to sell me the antenna and then install it at twice what Winnebago wanted for the factory install.
Good for us I have a friend at Winnebago that help keep things straight.
As I recall we installed on the input side of the satellite receiver per the instructions enclosed. I'll have to check to be sure when we pick it up hopefully tomorrow. I installed it in about June of last year. It was one of a million other things I did in a hurry getting ready for our trip to Alaska. It worked fine so I didn't pay any further attention to it.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Have the OTA adapter to bring digital ita channels in through the Dish receiver but ran out of time to get it set up and tested. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As I recall we installed on the input side of the satellite receiver per the instructions enclosed. I'll have to check to be sure when we pick it up hopefully tomorrow. I installed it in about June of last year. It was one of a million other things I did in a hurry getting ready for our trip to Alaska. It worked fine so I didn't pay any further attention to it.
We got the motorhome in the drive today so I verified the location of the SWM splitter. I was correct as to the installation location. There's a little sticker on the input jack of the satellite receiver labeled "satellite in - SWM $%@#**. I couldn't read the last word without standing on my head. I tried it a couple times but passed out both times, so the last word is still unknown.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, sometime when you are really bored you might check in the front right side behind the panel and see if there is one there.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hikerdogs, sometime when you are really bored you might check in the front right side behind the panel and see if there is one there.
I took a look behind the panel as you suggested. All the cables are there and marked like you said. Unfortunately there was no SWM splitter. Our system works fine now, but in the future I may move the splitter to this location.

Our entertainment center is just to the rear of the entry door. It's full of cables, wires, and other hardware. The optical sensors were never mounted from the factory. They're just setting in there in a pile. I may remove them since everything works and I could use the room for other things.

I'll have to read up on them to see if they're really necessary. We spend so little time watching TV and listening to music it's hard to remember how all the components interact. It's seems like we have quite a pile of "junk' just to watch a little television.

Tags
cat, power