Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Having electrical problems seems related to the fact that the new starter I had put on was not put on properly (installer stripped the fastner and cracked the solenoid case in the process-of course he failed to tell me about it). Ended up burning up a battery switch in the process. I'm out in the middle of nowhere (Cleveland GA) and need to know if a battery isolator performs the same basic function as the switch. I haven't been able to find the battery switch but I suspect that a car stereo place might have one.

Any tips?

JB
theboogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Having electrical problems seems related to the fact that the new starter I had put on was not put on properly (installer stripped the fastner and cracked the solenoid case in the process-of course he failed to tell me about it). Ended up burning up a battery switch in the process. I'm out in the middle of nowhere (Cleveland GA) and need to know if a battery isolator performs the same basic function as the switch. I haven't been able to find the battery switch but I suspect that a car stereo place might have one.

Any tips?

JB
Old 05-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

JB:
I'm a dunce when it comes to electricity (I know ON, OFF and smoke!!). Others who read these posts, however, are well-informed and may be able to help. A suggestion: post info on your coach: year, make, model, length, etc. It would be helpful if you go to the "Signature" section & add the info there; that way you won't have to repeat on every post.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(I know ON, OFF and smoke!!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it!!!!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, it's and older Itasca-85 33fter. Has three batteries. Two months ago had a small electrical fire at the battery switch. Replaced the switch, re-ran some wires, today after starting and running well for a few minutes, stopped for gas and all the starter did was click. Got a little help from a local mechanic who discovered that the guy I paid to replace the starter about 500miles ago had cross-threaded the cable terminal and in forcing it down, had cracked the solenoid housing. Wasn't aware of the problem until he discovered it, although it had cranked just fine about 25 times since his handiwork. The guy fixing it for me now says that the new battery switch is shot now (you can see signs of arcing-but otherwise looks fine). I am having trouble locating a switch on a holiday weekend in Cleveland GA, maybe next week I can. I'm parked at a Citgo station, just trying to get it out of their way so they don't lose business.

Thanks.

JB
Old 05-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

What is the syptom of the battery switch problem? Will the leghts not work in the coach? Will the engine not crank?

Are you are talking about the battery isolator that is used to seperate the house electricity use from the engine battery? If so, you should be able to move the coach by connecting the engine battery and the hot lead from the battery together as a temporary fix. This of course is not going to allow for the house battery to be charged while connected this way.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

JB - I'm not sure what the battery switch is that you are refering to. The battery isolator is simply two, three or more high-current diodes mounted and potted in a heat sink; its purpose is to permit simultaneous charging of multiple batteries without the batteries discharging into their neighbors while not being charged.

Tell us more about the 'switch.'

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

JB, sorry I can't be more help but here's a map to the nearest Carquest from you current location.

Foothills Auto Parts
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the Carquest map. Finding an auto parts store was not the problem. It seems that Cleveland has more parts houses per square mile than just about any place. But, there are also way more churches per square mile aslo which means that the stores are mostly closed on Sundays.

I did find a similar part on Monday, installed it and crap, didn't crank with enough umph to start. I'm baffled so I had it towed to a truck repair place.

JB