Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bathroom light problem

I have a Merdian 34H. The make-up light above the bathroom sink lost power. The light under the cabinet that works off the same switch, turns on but not the make-up light. Any help with restoring power to this light would greatly appreciated, and would get the wife off my back to fix it.

Thank's,
Ed
edndebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

Check the connections for the light fixture that is not working and the connection at the switch you described. Use a VOM or a 12 vdc test light
Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Try resetting the GFI (The thingie with the red square button in the center).
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

Thank's Kix & Chuck. I have tried all suggestions. The problem is the wire to the light has no power, and that wire is powered by the same SWITCH that powers the light under the cabinet on the adjoining wall, and that light works nomally. I suspect a loose connection in the apparent inaccessible areas of the wall. I have removed lights, switch, mirror, clothes hamper and can't access the wire. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to re-route a wire. I suppose I could call the factory but they would probably refer me to a wireing diagram which I have seen, rather than how the wire is routed.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hopefully, they didn't make any connections inaccessable. Have you removed the under cabinet light to see if they made a connection there?

Not sure about your year, but I can get to lots of stuff in the bath area by removing the monitor panel "box". Also, most of the cabinets have false bottoms and sides.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There is a good chance it is the ground side of the fixture. use your volt meter to test the yellow wire at the fixture that isn't working to the white of the under cabinet fixture. If you pull the wire in the fixture that doesn't work can you see the wire at the switch move?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

Ernieh, My coach is a 2005 Meridian. I removed the under cabinet light and their is no connection to the other light, and the wires lead out toward the monitor panel.

John, your suggestion confirmed the problem to be a bad ground. Pulling on the wires does not move the switch wires. The switch is located on the opposit wall, and the wires are BOTH YELLOW and feed into a wire loom.

The problem light wires lead down the wall and pick up a ground possibly different than the other light. Considering the location of light, running another groud wire to it could be difficult at best. If it is grounded at the monitor panel, I don't know how I would identify it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago labels all of their wiring every few inches. If you check the wiring diagrams for your coach you should be able to identify each wire by the letter/number label on it.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

Thank's Chris, I located the #'s on the wires, but they are different than the under cabinet light wires, so they have a different ground source (according to the factory tech). The "under counter" light wires and switch wires feed into the same wire loom behind the monitor, but the "makeup" wires don't. The factory tech could not tell me how or where to access the source of the coach wiring, and the wiring installation diagram is no help. What I thought was a simple fix has become a time consumming nightmare.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Narrowing down the problem.

Narrowing down the problem ...

I suggest you buy a roll of wire at your local hardware / automotive / farm store.

Then find a ground wire someplace (on another light perhaps) and connect one end of your roll of wire to that ground and connect the other end of the roll to the ground lead of the light that does not work {disconnect the existing ground from the light that does not work} ... this should verify that you have a ground problem outside of the light fixture itself.

If the light works with the temporary ground then you have isolated the problem to the ground wire to the light fixture. If the light still does not work then there is either a problem with the ground wire inside the light fixture itself ... OR it is not a ground problem.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

If you take a look at page 8 of the Body, 12V Wiring Diagram for your coach you'll see that wire 'NE' is the ground lead for the vanity lights and it leads to a connector (top-left-hand side of drawing) that is behind the bedroom TV.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

edndebp,
I have a question about the wall switch. My Motorhome uses the same wall switch, How do you take it out from the wall ? Sorry to ask you while your in a mess but when you have a chance. Sounds like post #11 mighjt have the answer.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

edndebp

I wrote a reply, but don"t see it, so I'll try again.

I finally solved the mystery. I removed the panel from around the outside faucets and discovered a number of wires stuffed up into the left side of the compartment. I located the correct numbered wire in a 4 wire connector. It turned out that the ground wire was loose in the connector.

I really appreciate those of you who provided input. You kept me going at times when I was about to tell my wife to just go buy a #*%&! makeup light.

Chuck, the switch is easily removed by carefully prying of the cover and removing 6 small screws.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

edndebp,
Im glad you found the problem. That is the kind of thing that gets you crazy. I really appreciate the info on prying off the switch. I was wondering (a little bit)how it was done. I was thinking of re arranging the switches on the wall but was not ready to do some serious tugging, twisting or prying just yet. Now I will give it a try. Thanks !