Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Ford chassis forum so, if I should have posted elsewhere, please move this post.

I went out to the Spirit yesterday to check things out yet again. When i went to start the engine, the battery was dead. I was able to jump start it using the Camry. I had the house power off therefore, when I tried using the house batteries to start the engine, it didn't start. anotyher lesson learned and I haven't even camped in it yet!
Anyway, once it started, the ABS light stayed on. Can it be driven safely to the dealer like this or do I need to have it towed somewhere? Is it common for the ABS to need attention after the motorhome sits a while? Is there something I should have done to prevent this from happening?

As always, thanks for your help!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Ford chassis forum so, if I should have posted elsewhere, please move this post.

I went out to the Spirit yesterday to check things out yet again. When i went to start the engine, the battery was dead. I was able to jump start it using the Camry. I had the house power off therefore, when I tried using the house batteries to start the engine, it didn't start. anotyher lesson learned and I haven't even camped in it yet!
Anyway, once it started, the ABS light stayed on. Can it be driven safely to the dealer like this or do I need to have it towed somewhere? Is it common for the ABS to need attention after the motorhome sits a while? Is there something I should have done to prevent this from happening?

As always, thanks for your help!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't know any specifics on the Spirit, but in general your brakes should work fine without ABS (Antilock Braking System), just like any vehicle without ABS. You just lose the extra benefit in hard-braking situations. My guess would also be that the light is on because the system got confused by the low battery. Charging it up and driving around (even a few feet), coupled with a few on/off cycles may make it happy again.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 E350 Super Duty and the ABS light is always on. I have been driving it for a while now with no ill effects. My friend has a Ford Explorer and hers has been on for 2 years, it works just fine. I also found out that mine has a recall pending on the ABS system. Seems there is a diode that blows and causes the light to light. I think you can go to Ford.com and input your VIN number to see if yours is one of them that needs this recall. Another place to check recalls is http://www.automallusa.net You might have to poke around the site to find the recall listings area. Your 2006 may be up to date already.
Finkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Looks like it's up to date. I checked Ford's website and it said that there are no recalls listed.
It's a little chilly to worry too much about it now. I think I'll dig deeper into it when it gets a bit warmer.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We purchased a new 06 Meridian in Dec. and since day one the ABS light has been intermitent. I spoke with both Freightliner and my regular mechanic and both said the same thing. It most likely is a sensor that is not reading the "stripes" properly. They are referring the stripes the sensors read on the wheel. Sometimes moisture, dirt or other factors cause a malfunction. I have driven it over 3000 miles this way and no ill effects or no problems. I do plan on getting this fixed but it happened right before we left. I would not be concerned.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I found the problem on my Ford E350 Super Duty ABS problem. I took off the right front wheel to check the brakes and noticed the ABS cable going to that wheel had come loose and was rubbing against the wheel. It wore thru the insulation of the wire and cut thru one of the 2 wires. I resoldered the wire, wrapped it with tape and tie wrapped it to where it belonged and the ABS light went out. It did not go out right away, I had to drive it about a block until the ABS computer saw that it was working properly. Just an FYI. If mine came off maybe many others will too. Jim in AZ
Finkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I had an ABS light come on when we hit a bump. The Ford forum indicated that there was a sensor on the rear differentail and this was the cause of the ABS light and the Brake light coming on. Sure enough changed out the sensor and the ABS and the Brake lights went out. The Brake light went out as soon as I changed out the sensor and the ABS light went out when I moved the motor home out of the storage area. This is on a Ford E-450 2000 model