Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Has anybody done this before? We are going camping in area that we know we can not get satellite reception from our roof mount dish (DTV) so we want to use an remote dish an can not make it work. Does anybody know the correct hook up procedure to allow a remote dish?? Thanks for any help rip& susie

Toad 2007 Nissan Xterra off road 6 speed 2 JRT'S Jack & Demi
itsrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Has anybody done this before? We are going camping in area that we know we can not get satellite reception from our roof mount dish (DTV) so we want to use an remote dish an can not make it work. Does anybody know the correct hook up procedure to allow a remote dish?? Thanks for any help rip& susie

Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I am sure there are better ways but this is how I have set up my rig to use either the on-board automatic dish (King Dome) or a portable dish mounted on a tripod:

I ran a separate coax from the overhead compartment (where my Direct TV box is) to an outside compartment under the driver's window. I installed a simple A-B switch in compartment near the Direct TV box...the A input has the cable coming from the roof-mounted King Dome and the B input on the switch has the cable from the outside compartment. Output from the A-B switch goes to input on the Direct TV box. If we cannot get a signal from the dome (trees, etc.), I set up the portable dish, connect it to the cable in the outside compartment, set the A-B switch to 'B' and proceed to aim the portable dish. It has always worked fine for us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Just like smlranger said, but if you don't want to run a new cable you can use a diplexer at each end of the existing cable tv coax going into the entertainment center cabinet. Here is a link explaing diplexers http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/di...e_aspen_X1.htm

You can then use the A/B switch the same way as smlranger said.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try and keep the RG-6 cable lenght at 75' or less. The voltage put out by the reciever to change polarity on the LNB drops to low to actually change polarity if the runs get longer than this. Also make sure you use RG-6 cable. I carry a spare dish and tripod with 75' of cable and when I have to use it I just run the wire in my door and into the back of my reciever behind the passenger seat. But what the heck I'm pretty lazy anyway.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are several ways to do it. Winegard recommends the diagram below. It doesn't show it but you can easily add an A/B switch to switch from the external dish to the rooftop dish. What Winegard is calling a power supply is the wallplate with the coax and switch for the TV booster antenna on it.

Note that this assumes your front TV is connected to the coax connector on the front of the wall plate. If yours isn't, you should put a splitter in the line labeled "To second TV" That will send the signal to both the front and rear TVs (if you have two TVS).

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Gotthelf:
Try and keep the RG-6 cable lenght at 75' or less. The voltage put out by the reciever to change polarity on the LNB drops to low to actually change polarity if the runs get longer than this. Also make sure you use RG-6 cable. I carry a spare dish and tripod with 75' of cable and when I have to use it I just run the wire in my door and into the back of my reciever behind the passenger seat. But what the heck I'm pretty lazy anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't found that to be a problem. I once ran 150 feet of RG6 and the 13 to 18 volts dc showed no drop at the end. The LNB current draw is so low that that there is very little voltage drop in the RG6.

There is quite a bit of high frequency signal loss due to losses in the coax though. An amplifier is recommended for anything over 100 feet as I recall.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody run a cable down the driver side windshield & out the front and hooked it to the dish and it worked fine, A_B switch at the encoder and good to go camping rip